The Right Ram For The Job

MisterMan

I have wanted to get more RAM for my laptop. I am hoping this will mean:

1. I can have Photoshop open as well as another program

2. I can view high res photos in Faststone with out it freezing (GREAT program by the way, thanks Thai Visa)

3. Programs will open and close a bit quicker

I did the crucial Scan and have found out that on my crap :o Compaq (dont ask why) Presario 2100

I have DDR PC2300 256 MB and I have 2 empty slots, with a capacity of over 1,000,000 (can that be right?).

My processor is a cenleron 2.4 GHZ. Oddly enough when I bought the computer it was a Pentium 4. However after having to replace the hardrive and taking it to the authorized HP dealer and then another place (both while the computer was DOA) it somehow got downgraded. I didnt realize it for months and dont know which slime bag took the liberty ........ (This is here in Phuket by the way......).

So how do I know how many pins? and what memory I can use? A specific brand recomendatio would be great!

Thank you so much for all the great advice always in this forum.

2. I can view high res photos in Faststone with out it freezing (GREAT program by the way, thanks Thai Visa)

I did the crucial Scan and have found out that on my crap :o Compaq (dont ask why) Presario 2100

I have DDR PC2300 256 MB and I have 2 empty slots, with a capacity of over 1,000,000 (can that be right?).

My processor is a cenleron 2.4 GHZ. Oddly enough when I bought the computer it was a Pentium 4. However after having to replace the hardrive and taking it to the authorized HP dealer and then another place (both while the computer was DOA) it somehow got downgraded. I didnt realize it for months and dont know which slime bag took the liberty ........ (This is here in Phuket by the way......).

So how do I know how many pins? and what memory I can use? A specific brand recomendatio would be great!

First at all the Memory you can use are prob. DDR (1) If you've 2 slot free, you can ad max 2 GB.

You should use all RAM with same specification.

But for to be sure, taka a look at the Manual or the Website of your Laptop and check which memory from which size you're able to use!

i bought PC2700 1gb ram for my notebook from Fortune IT Mall and its Kingston original. Price was 3190 baht and compared to prices in Singapore, it is the same and i expected it to be even more expensive in BKK so its good news for me. I was having 512mb (256mb x 2) and now im on 1gb + 256mb, trust me, the increase in performance is really great.

Normally, notebooks supports up to 2gb. that means you can insert 2pieces x 1gb of ram in each slot. You should go for SO-DIMM (For notebooks) and it is 200 pins. Kingston will be good enough for your notebook.

You can buy PC3200 there and i think the price is at around 3300bahts. DDR is more than twice the price of DDR2 but our notebook will not fit DDR2. Just too bad. :D

Go with 1gb upgrade or if you have extra cash, go with 2 pieces of 1gb. :D

Compaq Presario 2100:

21271063-2-120-0.gif

All memory consists of fast 266MHz PC2100 DDR SDRAM starting at 128MB and going to 1,024MB.

• Installed Size: 512 MB / 1024 MB(max)
  • Technology: DDR SDRAM - 266 MHz
  • Memory specification compliance: DDR266/PC2100

check it here http://review.zdnet.com/laptops/hp-compaq-...063.html?tag=ut

Maximum memory you can install are 1024MB, thats mean max. 2x 512MB.

You have now 256MB memory installed and 2 empty slots more........ :D impossible!

What is your modeltype/number of Compaq, they have many different models in this serie.

Go to the next shop with your notebook, show him your memory and try some new memorys

directly in the shop before you pay for it! Because compaq notebooks do not aceppt every memory-brand.

good luck

Chayaphum

You have now 256MB memory installed and 2 empty slots more........ :o impossible!

What is your modeltype/number of Compaq, they have many different models in this serie.

Go to the next shop with your notebook, show him your memory and try some new memorys

directly in the shop before you pay for it! Because compaq notebooks do not aceppt every memory-brand.

good luck

Chayaphum

Thanks so much for all the informaiton.

. I opened up the 2 places where there is memory slots on my pc (its on the bottom and was a simple procedure..never knew this). And there are 3 slots and only 1 piece of memory , 256mb. and one empty slot which says that I should use compaq replacement part............ So that leads me to believe that when I took my computer to the authorized HP dealer not only did they down grade my processor they must have taken some memory out.

All this time I have been suffering with a slow computer when all i needed was more memory cause I was missing so much!!!!! URgh.

my model is 2174af (bought in Pantip 2004).

The crucial scan revelaed this and even showed a graphic with 2 empty and 1 used slot.

http://www.crucial.com/systemscanner/views...7C32D4F31D926C3

256 MB DDR PC2300 EMPTY EMPTY

• Maximum Memory Capacity: 1048576 MB
  • Currently Installed Memory: 256 MB
  • Available Memory Slots: 2
  • Number of Banks: 3
  • Dual Channel Support: N.A.
  • CPU Manufacturer: GenuineIntel
  • CPU Family: Mobile Intel® Celeron® CPU 2.40GHz Model 2, Stepping 9
  • CPU Speed: 2392 MHz

" bought PC2700 1gb ram for my notebook from Fortune IT Mall and its Kingston original..."Was this for a Presarrio?

I would prefer to just buy it online..

You have now 256MB memory installed and 2 empty slots more........ :o impossible!

good luck

Chayaphum

. I opened up the 2 places where there is memory slots on my pc (its on the bottom and was a simple procedure..never knew this). And there are 3 slots and only 1 piece of memory , 256mb. and one empty slot which says that I should use compaq replacement part............ So that leads me to believe that when I took my computer to the authorized HP dealer not only did they down grade my processor they must have taken some memory out.

All this time I have been suffering with a slow computer when all i needed was more memory cause I was missing so much!!!!! URgh.

The crucial scan revelaed this and even showed a graphic with 2 empty and 1 used slot.

" bought PC2700 1gb ram for my notebook from Fortune IT Mall and its Kingston original..."Was this for a Presarrio?

For your model, its tricky. You have 3 memory banks and 2 available slot and the max is 1gb of memory. Is your current lot of memory integrated to the board or can it be removed?

If you were to prefer to buy online, then its best you go to crucial.com and you won't go wrong with their suggestion on the memory but i suggest you bring your notebook along to the IT malls here and at least you can get it installed on site rather than wait for your products to be flown over and the cost is actually higher than you buy from the IT malls here.

You have now 256MB memory installed and 2 empty slots more........ :D impossible!

good luck

Chayaphum

...? 2 Free slots and 3 Banks for memory.....sorry i d'ont understand that, i work since nearly

20 years with computers/notebooks, but i never see something like that...u have some pictures

from this memorybanks in your model? can you post it here?

on every website i check already they say the same; 256MB installed, 2banks for up to 1GB memory... :D

i check your model again on the web Presario 2174AF, right?

Maximum Memory Capacity: 1048576 MB ????

that's mean 1024GB Memory, WOW!!!! Great notebook from 2004 :D

I want to have the same Presario....where i can buy this memory, 1024GB?

maybe your model will work with 2GB Memory, but that's a risk and up to your BIOS.

If they not support this you will just see 1GB installed, but you put 2GB inside....

Anyway.....the increase of power/speed of your notebook will be dramaticly go up

with a expansion from 256MB to 512MB or 1024MB....believe me!

I have a SONY VAIO with 1024MB memory and he works great.

Windows XP with 256MB it's a torture for working with it.

But not just more memory will increase your system.....you have to setup

in your Windows the memory-managment for get good performance.

Windows must use more memory for working with it and d'ont take to much

harddiskspace for outsourcing the ressources of your system.

And second point of more memory ......your battery will be stay longer time.

sorry, i d'ont believe that website about your model.....

another TIP: better you buy 2 memorys at 512MB then just one with 1024MB,

why? because if 1 memory will be damaged in the future...no problem,

take out and use the other one. If you put just 1 memory inside....you can

imagine what's happend if they go to the heaven..... :o

in europe for example:

Apacer SO-DDR 512MB, PC-2100

200 Pin, 266MHz, CL2

cost's about 35Euro.....

post-51795-1190283096_thumb.jpg

post-51795-1190283135_thumb.jpg

post-51795-1190283190_thumb.jpg

Edited by Chayaphum

Maximum Memory: 1024MB

USB Support: 1.x Compliant

Standard Memory: 256MB removable

Slots: 2 (2 banks of 1)

Each memory slot can hold DDR PC2700,DDR PC3200 with a maximum of 512MB per slot.*

ok. I have checked on Crucial website, you have ONLY 2 banks. i don't think you can see 3 banks in your notebook so i think you PRESUMED you have 3 banks without actually opening up.

anyway your notebook 2100 Series can only support up to 1gb of memory. hence you can only slot 512mb MAX per slot.

Your default memory is PC2100 however you can buy PC2700 as it is backward compatible AND it is also CHEAPER than PC2100.

Go for Kingston 512mb PC2700 x 2pcs. That is your best choice.

Edited by mmkin

According to the manual the Laptop has 2 Ram Slots only and not 3!

Maximum you can use is 1 GB PC2100 SODIMM CL 2.5. To do so you need to remove the existing memory bank and place 2 512 MB banks in the 2 slots.

Maybe it's possible to use PC2700 but it wouldn't improve!

i would recommend you....

just buy 2x 512MB SODIMM DDR PC2100 / 266MHz / CL 2,5 / 200pin

the bandwith of this memory is 2,1 GByte/s

2,7 GByte/s for the PC2700 333MHz, but i think u can't feel this difference.

With the PC2100 u can be shure that they will work without problems.

Important: buy 2 memorys from the same brand/specifications,

because never mix different memorys at the same time.

....or your windows will show you many bluescreens..... :o and you d'ont know why.

Maybe the PC2700 memorys will work.....maybe, but this maybe can cost you 3-4k baht!

Dschook dee khrap

Chayaphum

post-51795-1190306756.gif

Each memory slot can hold DDR PC2700,DDR PC3200 with a maximum of 512MB per slot.*

anyway your notebook 2100 Series can only support up to 1gb of memory. hence you can only slot 512mb MAX per slot.

Your default memory is PC2100 however you can buy PC2700 as it is backward compatible AND it is also CHEAPER than PC2100.

Go for Kingston 512mb PC2700 x 2pcs. That is your best choice.

So much great info and so much I have learned, thank you all for the tech advice.

So, and excuse my ignorance is Kingston the brand ? And they make memory specifically for each Laptop ever made?

I do have 2 slots , I was only going by what the scan said.....however there is a 3rd slot but the pin configuration is not the same........... and the crucial scan really did say 3! :o .

Here is the photos. I go to Penang soon and will have a look there and print out the suggestions from here.

Thanks again!

tIMG_0810.jpg

Edited by MisterMan