Non-immigrant "b" In Phenom Phen ?

Mon 2 Aug 04

Thanks kenkannif!

You bring up another question : Why is it so difficult to get a multiple entry? Seems like everyone says that they are really stingy in handing them out. What conditions do you need to meet to get one?

I have had lots of B's in the past, but normally my lawyer just too care of it and I didn't pay much attention. You mentioned the "right paperwork". My last "B", I used an agent in Pattaya who sent my passport and application to the UK. The the only paperwork was a letter on my U.S. company letterhead explaining that I required the visa to buy art in LOS for resale in the U.S. and Europe. Would i need to be concerned about that strategy in PP or in China today? :o

Thanks v. much. I am grateful for the advice.

Aloha,

Rex

Mon 2 Aug 04

Thanks kenkannif!

You bring up another question : Why is it so difficult to get a multiple entry? Seems like everyone says that they are really stingy in handing them out. What conditions do you need to meet to get one?

I have had lots of B's in the past, but normally my lawyer just too care of it and I didn't pay much attention. You mentioned the "right paperwork". My last "B", I used an agent in Pattaya who sent my passport and application to the UK. The the only paperwork was a letter on my U.S. company letterhead explaining that I required the visa to buy art in LOS for resale in the U.S. and Europe. Would i need to be concerned about that strategy in PP or in China today? :o

Thanks v. much. I am grateful for the advice.

Aloha,

Rex

Your last (current?) visa appears to be invalid if obtained in the manner you describe. Guess you know that?

Mon 2 Aug 04

lopburi3,

Thanks for the comment. But now I am more confused than when I started. No, I didn't know that the visa was "invalid". Unless the agent was using counterfeit stamps or something (a theoretical possibility, I suppose), all I did was follow his instructions and wrote the letter using his suggested wording. My PP was FedEx'd to the UK. The LOS consulate in Birmingham granted a multiple-entry "B".

So, on what basis are you saying that was invalid? What am I missing?

Thanks for clarifying.

Aloha,

Rex

Mon 2 Aug 04

lopburi3,

Thanks for the comment.  But now I am more confused than when I started.  No, I didn't know that the visa was "invalid".  Unless the agent was using counterfeit stamps or something (a theoretical possibility, I suppose), all I did was follow his instructions and wrote the letter using his suggested wording. My PP was FedEx'd to the UK.  The LOS consulate in Birmingham granted a multiple-entry "B". 

Thanks for clarifying.

Aloha,

Rex

It is illegal to obtain a visa unless you are in the jurisdiction of the issuing office. Avoid agents like the plague. So far, you've been lucky. Don't test it. An Asian jail is a tad uncomfortable. Remember that you are not able to show departure or entry stamps as would be applicable to a bona fide applicant ( and your TM card reveals all on the Thai Immigration computer )

Mon 2 Aug 04

lopburi3,

Thanks for the comment. But now I am more confused than when I started. No, I didn't know that the visa was "invalid". Unless the agent was using counterfeit stamps or something (a theoretical possibility, I suppose), all I did was follow his instructions and wrote the letter using his suggested wording. My PP was FedEx'd to the UK. The LOS consulate in Birmingham granted a multiple-entry "B".

Thanks for clarifying.

Aloha,

Rex

To obtain a visa by mail you are required to be located in the country of issue or within the jurisdiction of the country of issue. This is posted on the home page of division 3 immigration web site (which is down at the moment) along with the information that such a visa will not be honored.

Below is quote from Division 3 immigration site as held on Google:

- Please beware of a person who claims to render assistance in visa extension at immigration bureau. Such act is illegal.

- Any inquiry or witness any act relating to such matter please contact [email protected]

- If you wish to stay in Thailand after your visa has expired, contact the nearest immigration unit in person for advice.

- Do not belive those who claim that they can assist you to get immigration stamps without actual travel in and out of the kingdom. Such act is illegal and you will be prosecuted in accordance with immigration law.

- Foreigners travelling from Cambodia to Thailand through Khlong Luek border pass cannot obtain visa on arrival at this point of entry.

- Visa that have not been obtained by the traveller personally are considered incomplete documents. The passport holder will not be allowed to stay in Thailand according to the visa but only according to the rights of the nationality of the passport holder.

- Foreigners crossing into Thailand from Cambodia must have valid a exit stamp from the Cambodian immigration authorities in their passport.

- Foreigners entering Thailand without having their travel documents checked will be considered illegal immigrants and are subject to prosecution according to Thai immigration laws.

Mon 2 Aug 04

Thanks for all this lopburi3. I owe you a beer or a carrot juice!

Now I see where the communication short-circuited. My question was about the "right paperwork" and I was asking for confirmation that a letter written by my U.S. company explaining that I required the "B" to buy art in LOS for resale in the U.S. and Europe was still likely to be honored as it was last time. You point about agents is understood.

I lived in LOS for six years until I cam to China last year to teacha da Engarishe. For six years I have never worried about visas, and now suddenly I am feeling nervous that I might have a problem.

Aloha,

Rex

My question was about the "right paperwork" and I was asking for confirmation that a letter written by my U.S. company explaining that I required the "B" to buy art in LOS for resale in the U.S. and Europe was still likely to be honored as it was last time.

I would not recommend going to Phnom Penh for a non immigrant B visa. Penang would be better if you have a choice.