British Passport 2

Prakanong

Just picked my new one up from the Embassy (High Commission if you want to be pedantic :o )

Its validity is for 10 years and 9 months.

I have never had one expire on me but I have never had any extra time for the non-expired portion either. The old one had a little less than 7 years on it so its not related to that.

Anyone had similar?

PS: As I was going down Orchard Road at about 9:15 after picking it up I noticed a very long queue outside the Thai Embassy - I thought they opened at 9?

Certainly if you renew a full passport in the UK you are now given (some) credit against the un-expired one, IIRC it is 9 months.

Evidently, overseas missions are now also doing this (they didn't to start with). I wonder if BKK will be implementing this useful facility :o

Bloody ridiculous the price of British passport - I have to get a new one for myself and two daughters, as well as Thai ones for them. One of my daughters is finished in Feb. If I get a new one now, does anyone know how long it will be for? 5 years or 10.

Certainly if you renew a full passport in the UK you are now given (some) credit against the un-expired one, IIRC it is 9 months.

Evidently, overseas missions are now also doing this (they didn't to start with). I wonder if BKK will be implementing this useful facility :o

Last time I renewed in the UK was 2000 and did not get any credit then again at FCO in Brussels in 2004 none either but this time :D

Not that it will get to 2018 but heres hoping.

Bloody ridiculous the price of British passport - I have to get a new one for myself and two daughters, as well as Thai ones for them. One of my daughters is finished in Feb. If I get a new one now, does anyone know how long it will be for? 5 years or 10.

Dunno what you daughter will get but the price is ridiculous - a straw pole around the office shows our to be more expensive by a mile - PI / Indian / Singapore / Belgian / Chinese

461 Sing $ for mine - guy there this morning did not have enough and they do not accept nets or CC. He was not happy he had to go through all the security and down the road to Tanglin Mall to the ATM

I got mine at Bangkok 3 months before the old one expired. The new one expires 10 years after the date I picked it up, so I "lost" 3 months.

I got mine at Bangkok 3 months before the old one expired. The new one expires 10 years after the date I picked it up, so I "lost" 3 months.

Yeah. IIRC the UK passport office only started doing this last year, overseas missions did not implement untill (apparently) very recently.

We shall see, my main PP doesn't actually expire until 2012 but it will be full by this time next year, time to start using the alternative :D

It's a right rip off, very expensive and beware, that 32 page passport has only 25 pages available for Visas.

Quote "I got mine at Bangkok 3 months before the old one expired. The new one expires 10 years after the date I picked it up, so I "lost" 3 months."

I also had mine sent from Bangkok 3 months ago and was credited with the extra two months left on my passport, so it's valid for 10 years 2 months.

Guess somedays your lucky and somedays your not :o

My current British Passport which I got from the consulate in Brunei is valid from Sept 2006 to June 2017.

My previous one which was issued in the UK was valid from Sept 2005 to June 2016.

I'm about to apply for a new one and really begrudge paying £148 to the Embassy/Consulate. Especially when it only costs £77 when renewed in the UK. (48 page)

I guess someone has to pay for their salmon sandwiches and Pims.

Unfortunately ,UK children's passports are only valid 5 years.(but as discussd you get several months credit added to the 5 years)

I too,have 2 daughters ,UK and Thai passports.

I agree an expensive undertaking.

:o Wiley Coyote

My current British Passport which I got from the consulate in Brunei is valid from Sept 2006 to June 2017.

My previous one which was issued in the UK was valid from Sept 2005 to June 2016.

I'm about to apply for a new one and really begrudge paying £148 to the Embassy/Consulate. Especially when it only costs £77 when renewed in the UK. (48 page)

MMM I wonder..............

It is possible and indeed many people do so.....

Apply for your new passport via the post , and send it to blighty and pay the 77 quid instead of posting / going to bkk here ?

No doubt some stupid rule stopping you..... is their ?

MMM I wonder..............

It is possible and indeed many people do so.....

Apply for your new passport via the post , and send it to blighty and pay the 77 quid instead of posting / going to bkk here ?

No doubt some stupid rule stopping you..... is their ?

You could send it to somebody to post in for you then send it back.

I think this is illegal or at least "Not Allowed" as there is a bit on the form which states "I will be in the country I am applying into for this passport" on it ie I condfirmed I would be in Singapore

You would also be without your old passport for the duration and not have a receipt to show plod if asked for it (or you can keep hold of old passport and have it cancelled on day you pick up new one)

For a 100 quid its not worth the hassle (I would say that though as mine is paid for :o )

If your daughters passport was for five years, it should be extended to 10years free of charge. See UK Passport fees at least it is in UK.

Also from UKPA Web site

When to renew & fee

* You can renew your passport whenever you want and do not have to wait till your passport is expired to renew it.

* However, we can add no more than nine months unexpired time from the old passport to the new one.

* When renewing, you still need to pay the full fee and no refund can be given for the unexpired time in the old passport

ALSO NOTE

The FCO increased all its consular fees including passport fees and the consular premium, in April 2007 by £6 for adults, £1 for children and £8 for jumbo (48 page) passports. This will be added to the price of a UK passport from Thursday 4 October 2007, no further increase has been added by IPS.

Edited by Mahout Angrit

Just picked my new one up from the Embassy (High Commission if you want to be pedantic :o )

I have never had one expire on me but I have never had any extra time for the non-expired portion either. The old one had a little less than 7 years on it so its not related to that.

Anyone had similar?

PS: As I was going down Orchard Road at about 9:15 after picking it up I noticed a very long queue outside the Thai Embassy - I thought they opened at 9?

thats nice to know about the credit ,cause they aint cheap........

Quote "I got mine at Bangkok 3 months before the old one expired. The new one expires 10 years after the date I picked it up, so I "lost" 3 months."

I also had mine sent from Bangkok 3 months ago and was credited with the extra two months left on my passport, so it's valid for 10 years 2 months.

Guess somedays your lucky and somedays your not :o

It was over a year ago when "lost" the 3 months. But it's no big deal. It's also good that you can renew at any time - it would be a real pain if you had to renew within a specific time-window as you do with, say, visa extensions.

But the price was definitely a shock - ฿ 4,830. You can get too accustomed to low prices in LOS. :D

Certainly not cheap :

32 page passport = Bt. 8,568.00

48 page passport = Bt. 10,368.00

Child's passport = Bt. 5,472.00

:o

Pizzes me off that a 32 page Passport in fact has only 25 pages that can be used for stamps, being a regular traveller can soon eat up 25 pages....

Oh well............ :D

Edited by Maigo6

Anyone had similar?

Does it expire on/ very close to your birthday? I had one donei n Indonesia and similar story. An Indonesian friend told me they often do that in Indonesia. Hence mine was 10yrs + too.

BTW My Thai driving licence does a similar thing. It lasts 5 years 2 months and expires on my birthday. Passports from Thailand don't seem to tho'.