Average Villa Reatal Occupancy Level

Does anyone have any idea what the average occupancy level is per year for a villa in say Pattaya. What I mean is how many weeks per year do they rent out for on average? I realise different areas, villa standards and rates will make a difference but I'm just after a "ball-park" type figure for the normal villa in a good location with 3 beds/2 bath + pool.

I know that in the Florida Orlando area you can reasonably expect your villa to be rented out around 35 weeks per year for the normal 3 beds/2 bath + pool.

Thanks in advance for any help.... :o

I think it not only depends on the area, but also very much on the price.

3 beds/2 baths is a rather big house, it might rent good in high season for families,

Plus there are so many houses and condominiums for rent that any guess between never and 52 weeks a year are equally good.

Marketing would make the difference. If you could find people before they are in Thailand it would be best. A nice website with lots of pictures and some easy form for reservation will help.

florida is a different matter - generally in more developed countries everything is easier, inluding renting out the property. People have much greater access to information than in Thailand.

you need to take booking some 1 year in advance - for many holiday to thailand is a big, overseas journey, lasting from a week to a few months. Holidaymakers, and especially families, do tend to plan their holidays well in advance. Even if you have a booking with a deposit, do expect a lot of changes and even cancellations. After an initial booking people would change their itinary and travel somewhere else, for example Hua Hin, which would be more suitable for kids.

Do always take a booking deposit - don't relay on the word. If the guests don't show up they must know the cancellation policy.

Depending how hard you advertise, I wouldn't expect to be rented more than half a year.

For that reason - try to encourage long renters by giving substantial discounts. In a long run you will make more money than taking bookings just for a few days. It's not a hotel and you don't have rooms to play around.

Please forgive my "ifs"

If you are planning on buying a place to rent out, it would really be in your best interest to do something else with the money. Either you will have to work hard to get people in it, time and time again, competing against agents with websites and people working on them, and then managing the house, or if you get a good long-term renter, the rent will not be very high.

If an agent says that he can keep it rented as a way to get it sold, do not believe it. Pattaya is full of empty units all year round, even in high season. Although the income for weekly rents is much higher than monthly and long-term, the trouble for only one house is great, and you can put your time to us in other ways that are more profitable and more productive.

You could also look into buying and renovating an apartment building, and have very high occupancy rates, filling the units with ADSL, a small kitchen, etc. You would do well, and have consistent tenants, both short-term and long-term.

Good luck with everything.