Why Spicy?

deejah

• Replies 64
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Funny I was thinking the same today, there must be a good reason to do with the body's metabolism.

I have watched my significant other heap spoonfulls of chili onto Som Tam so pret I couldnt eat for a millon baht bet.

Edited by Cobalt60

An essential element to Thai food is that there must be a harmony of tastes and textures. Thai cooking combines hundreds of years of Eastern and Western influences, and chilli's were introduced to Thai cooking in the 1600's by missionaries who had acquired a taste for them while serving in South America.

i have a few theories but they are out of left field

does anyone know why Thai food is so spicy?

why eat spicy food in a hot climate?

this being an open question for other (warm climate) countries as well where spicy is common

I find almost all other foods inc mexican bland after thai,spicy adds to the taste and i agree it seems to fil me quicker.took me a while to get into it but now im in top gear and eating pappaya pock pock ( or whatever its called ) and all the rest no problem,.

An essential element to Thai food is that there must be a harmony of tastes and textures. Thai cooking combines hundreds of years of Eastern and Western influences, and chilli's were introduced to Thai cooking in the 1600's by missionaries who had acquired a taste for them while serving in South America.

My history may be a little foggy here, but was it not the Portugese who introduced them here from South America on their exped to Ayutthaya? There are the remains of a Portugese church up there, so missionaries would have been on the ships I presume.

My history may be a little foggy here, but was it not the Portugese who introduced them here from South America on their exped to Ayutthaya? There are the remains of a Portugese church up there, so missionaries would have been on the ships I presume.

Yes, Portugese missionaries who had been in South America and then came to Thailand.

Yes, Portugese missionaries who had been in South America and then came to Thailand.

Er ... via Goa (or somewhere)?

wasnt it originally to stop rotten food tasting bad ----food, particularly meat goes off quicker in a hot county

Of course. Eat rotten food, die. Eat rotten food with chillies, like the taste, die. Brilliant!

if the meat does go slightly off, which is sometimes a deliberate choice in Thai food, the chilies will prevent uncomfortable intestinal symptoms because they kill organisms which cause food borne illness. For this reason, many hot climates have very spicy foods to ward off food borne illness, and travelers in areas with minimal hygienic practices would be wise to eat spicy foods along with the locals.

Thailand is hot and muggy, ideal conditions for growing bacteria, so Thai food is hot and spicy as a preventative

wasnt it originally to stop rotten food tasting bad ----food, particularly meat goes off quicker in a hot county

Of course. Eat rotten food, die. Eat rotten food with chillies, like the taste, die. Brilliant!

if the meat does go slightly off, which is sometimes a deliberate choice in Thai food, the chilies will prevent uncomfortable intestinal symptoms because they kill organisms which cause food borne illness. For this reason, many hot climates have very spicy foods to ward off food borne illness, and travelers in areas with minimal hygienic practices would be wise to eat spicy foods along with the locals.

Thailand is hot and muggy, ideal conditions for growing bacteria, so Thai food is hot and spicy as a preventative

Yeah. Right. What did they do before they had chillies? (Oh, and what do people who eat rancid food, like game in the UK, do?)

Medically,it is supposed to make you sweat more ,which in turn cools you down. :o Wiley Coyote
That was my understanding to, similarly in Mexico chilies are an integral part of many dishes.

Most likely though it's simply spice is nice, and I can't have my som tom hot enough, also never had any gastric issues, maybe the chilies affect the PH in the gut slightly negating harmful pathogens, who knows,

I probably wouldn't love Thai food as much as I do if it were not hot and spicy. :D

if the meat does go slightly off, which is sometimes a deliberate choice in Thai food

interesting what dish do you have on mind?

Don't know the thai word but I guess some of these salads (yam whatever) with semi-raw pork.

Yeah. Right. What did they do before they had chillies? (Oh, and what do people who eat rancid food, like game in the UK, do?)

Before they had chillies i guess the recipies were very different (obvious?).

As for eating game meat, AGING MEAT does not mean hanging the carcass up to see how many days it takes to spoil, :o

Read a book or two and find out, i'm not your history teacher, unless you would like to pay me though you may be unable to afford my fees.

As for eating game meat, AGING MEAT does not mean hanging the carcass up to see how many days it takes to spoil, :o

Oh dear. You really don't know much about food/cooking, do you? (or chillies, either, it seems!)

Read a book or two and find out, i'm not your history teacher, unless you would like to pay me though you may be unable to afford my fees.

I'm glad you're not my history teacher (I know I'm glad because I have read a book or two). I suggest you do likewise and trace the spread of the chilli. It hit India quite a while before ending up here ...

Oh dear. You really don't know much about food/cooking, do you? (or chillies, either, it seems!)

obviously not as much as you oh great wise one, i'm just greatful you had the time to stop by here and share your wisdom with us.

I'm glad you're not my history teacher (I know I'm glad because I have read a book or two). I suggest you do likewise and trace the spread of the chilli. It hit India quite a while before ending up here ...

Where in my posts did i ever say otherwise? I think you may have been drinking again. :o

obviously not as much as you oh great wise one, i'm just greatful you had the time to stop by here and share your wisdom with us.

My pleasure, grasshopper. Would you like a reading list?

Where in my posts did i ever say otherwise? I think you may have been drinking again. :o

That does kind of suggest you missed out a few years and a sub-continent.

That does kind of suggest you missed out a few years and a sub-continent.

It is never safe to assume, you know the rest don't you?

this being an open question for other (warm climate) countries as well where spicy is common

if your hot drink a hot drink or eat hot food ,when it cools you feel cooler .........

1. Cooling effect due to sweating

2. Eat more staple (rice, noodles, tortillas) as opposed to more expensive main dishes

and this one is speculation from a comercial I saw but seams very plausible

3. Bugs, mice, and other pests will not get into leftovers.