Why Spicy?

deejah

I suppose you all realise that one important point I don't think any of you has mentioned as yet about "spicy" food which is quite important .The fact that chillies and such like foods are actually addictive, therefore before long with globalisation etc the whole planet will be spice addicts!...........

• Replies 64
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

There was a report on the BBC this week broadcasting the results of a medical study which found that our genes have a considerable influence on what foods we like.

This may explain why chillies became so popular in Thailand.

An essential element to Thai food is that there must be a harmony of tastes and textures. Thai cooking combines hundreds of years of Eastern and Western influences, and chilli's were introduced to Thai cooking in the 1600's by missionaries who had acquired a taste for them while serving in South America.

My history may be a little foggy here, but was it not the Portugese who introduced them here from South America on their exped to Ayutthaya? There are the remains of a Portugese church up there, so missionaries would have been on the ships I presume.

They also brought Custerd desert (sweet) to Thailand as well.

• 2 weeks later...

"Spicy-Hot or Spicy-Not"

All Thai-food is not loaded with fire, 'spicy' is only one of the five-primary flavor-elements.

According to studies done somewhere, the 'capsaicin' which is the heat component in chilis actually release

endorphins in the brain,creating a sense of well-being....mmmm maybe that's why Thai-people are always smiling!!

Edited by ComicBum