Is It Safe To Fly Thai Airways International ?

North

After the 1-2 -Go plane crash in Phuket there has been many speculations and rumours about flight safety or lack of same in Thailand / Asia. Speculations concerning "company culture", but also speculations about the Thai authorities and their ability / willingness to perform their task to ensure, that the airlines follow the rules set up for safe operations of flights.

In the last few years I mostly have been flying with Thai Airways from Europe to Thailand, but all these speculations have made me think of, if I should switch to a western airline like Lufthansa, SAS, Finnair, Austrian Airlines, Swiss, simply for safety reasons?

I would like to hear your opinions, specially opinions from people working with aviation in Thailand / Asia

I am mostly interested in aspects concerning international flights, since I last year made the decision not to fly domestic flights anymore.

North

YES! I have flown Brisbane - London return 5 times in last 6 yrs and Brisbane - Bangkok return 6 times. I would'nt fly with anyone else.

Having said that, QANTAS has got the worlds best safety record.

I always fly Thai Air

• Replies 96
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Yes, confirmed: TG Business Class to London is old seats, not lie-flat. They appear to have only upgraded their seating on North American routes.

Not quite correct - I regularly fly BKK-Zurich on business and TG has an Airbus 340 on that route with the new lie flat seats. I have also occasionally flown BKK- Paris CDG which is a 747 route - sometimes you get an upgraded one, sometimes you don't, but even then it's not usually one of the old clunkers that they still have on the BKK-LHR route.

Supply & demand perhaps?

CC

Yes, confirmed: TG Business Class to London is old seats, not lie-flat. They appear to have only upgraded their seating on North American routes.

How up to date is your info? last 4 times I have flown Business class on TG to & from London-BKK its been the new product with lie flat seats. My understanding is they only have a couple of 747's left not converted to new product and they are mostly used on Copenhagen (no idea why) and regional routes.

Personally I fly TG a lot and have no issue with the quality of the flight or the airline. Probably helps that I rarely fly on anything less than 777 or 747, which would mean a more experienced pilot than say a 737 aircraft (i.e larger aircraft = larger salary, more experience).

Well,

It is nice to see a lot of response to my original post and thank you for that BUT:

I am really not interested in the Emirates and japanese highspeed trains !

My question was: Is It Safe To Fly Thai Airways International ?

Did you notice the button to the right of the button " add reply" ?

It is called " New Topic ", and you are welcome to use that button to create a new topic to discuss these matters.

thank you.

North

its as safe to fly thai air as any other airline in the world ..............