Ouch, Aaahhh, Errrr, Ummm, Eh

Neeranam

After spending almost 2 years in Argentina, I arrived in Australia to find that my friends had commented upon my new accent (of which I was not aware).

Now, having lived in Thailand for 2 years, I find myself speaking Thai...to myself!

I think I need serious help. :o

Are you giving yourself brow gestures ?

After spending almost 2 years in Argentina, I arrived in Australia to find that my friends had commented upon my new accent (of which I was not aware).

Now, having lived in Thailand for 2 years, I find myself speaking Thai...to myself!

I'm giving myself a pulmonary embolism, I think!!

I learnt the fine detail of Thai browing the detail is facinating and once you have started to adopt it I have found I got better and better .

Can some of you with thaibrow expertise please elaborate & illuminate ?

What nobody else observed Thai brow communication ?????

That's a new one on me. :o Erm,...I can raise one eyebrow, "Roger Moore" style... Is that good?

Yes you can answer many questions using only the brow of your head, have to admit a little anoying at first but now i don't mind it at all.

It's a bit like the indian wobble.

A single eyebrow raised sis a one sided conversation

Try it with your wife indicate the direction of some thing with your Thai brows ( it sounds sort of Yorkshire ish ) start slowly not too much at once then advance to asking for something with only your brows with a slight inclination of your head ...actually head and brows are the advanced level . This assumes also you and your wife still actually look at each other.

There is a weakness in the system is you are talking to a scantily clad ( if at all Clad that is ) young lady in a bar whilst taking a male visitor friend to see the sites , because you never do it for your self only the bloody nusance visitors who force you there. ( actually it is usually the same "friend who used to by the copies of Hustler that some one found under your bed ...you never bought it it was lent to you by "a friend ) But I digress whilst, trying to talk to the young thing your eyes rarely leave the areas of breasts and shaven haven so you cannot see the Thaibrows working ,also even if you are trying to practice Thai browing skills ,she can only see the thinning top of your head whilst communicating with the rest of her friends and the Mamasan with Thai browing discusssing wether you are a looser or a genuine find with a large bulge in the trousers , from the wallet that is !!

Happy Thai browing !!! Hang on I have just thought I used the eyebrows in a noisy crowded UK pub once you caught the eye of the bar maid your hands trapped by your sides and the music blaring a quick raising of the brows was responded to with her pointing to the pump , you respond with a large eye brow movement for a pint and magic it works a pint in your hand .

Edited by rcalsop

hearing a farang say ''oiee'' annoys me. I don't know why, it just does. probably because the farang i've heard usually mispronounce, if that's possible.

the exception of OH HOOOOOOOO, i think if i heard a farang do that i would have a strong urge to punch them.

this reminds me of a time in sukhumvit at the start of the year.

I was on my own in a quiet bar on soi 11 just after landing from the UK. this scottish guy rocks in with his grinning ''girlfriend'' who was loaded up with shopping bags, no doubt paid for by her special man. :o

the scottish guy had obviously had a few drinks and was lapping up the attention from the girls in the bar, who I assumed were impressed with his loose wallet.

smelling the scent of a complete ar5ehole I tried to keep my scottish accent to myself. it was only when the guy started churning out the ''tilaaaac''s and broken english I had to leave.

I tend to use 'nit noi' and 'alina'.

alina? :D

you mean ''a-rai na''? :o:D

Alina is a Romanian name, likely derived from the latin verb "allenare", meaning to calm down, so maybe he is confusing this with the term 'Jai yen yen' or he spends time with a Romanian named Alina when he is here.

Your guess is as good as mine. :D

this is a classic thread! well posted! lol! I find myself cringe when I am on the phone to folks back home and I find myself speaking some thai-grit or lapse into a little thai or the errrrrr, arrrrrrrrrr, Ummm - lol! its kinda funny! The amount of times I will be speaking to English friends on the phone, and they will give me news, i'll say 'Jing lorrrr' or maybe an 'aow mai?' Anyone else do this, I do emberass myself....noticing and thinking about it now, its funny though! :o

Yes many a time i have been back in the mother land and been talking with friends and family, without realising it i have been speaking fluent Thai to them for hours on end. As the night has drawn to a close and i have taken the time to actualy look at the people i have been talking at, i can see them looking at me, in a magical kind of way, thinking, what are these mystical chantings this great traveler of distant shores is reciting for us? Then someone comes out with the clasic of clasics, 'Well he lives in Thailand so he's probably speaking Taiwanese'.

I am of the understanding that "errr" in Isaanese is the same as "dai" or "chai" (depending on context), chai-mai?

I think so, yes. Errrr Chai :o

And yes... I think that if a falung used it, they would be immediately "tarred" as having a "low-class" Isaan GF or wife.

Not nessc. to have Isaan GF or wife. It applies to anybody who has 'low-class' behavoir.

this is a classic thread! well posted! lol! I find myself cringe when I am on the phone to folks back home and I find myself speaking some thai-grit or lapse into a little thai or the errrrrr, arrrrrrrrrr, Ummm - lol! its kinda funny! The amount of times I will be speaking to English friends on the phone, and they will give me news, i'll say 'Jing lorrrr' or maybe an 'aow mai?' Anyone else do this, I do emberass myself....noticing and thinking about it now, its funny though! :o

:D I find when I try to speak to my French neighbour, I put in Thai words instead of French ones. 'Gee heure et il' for example.

"What nobody else observed Thai brow communication ?????"

You've hit on body language here. It's totally key to speaking Thai and I totally picked up many mannerisms beyond the little participles and utterances. I do the head bob when I make a point or someone else does. Also smile alot as I make points or listen to even my Farang friends intently. My favorite thing here - and I see it among the older folks, is lip pointing. It's so helpful to point to someone, or indicate you want something without having to say it. Sometimes a pucker and a twist of the lips. Other times just a jerk to one side or direction. Great way to gossip with your signif other with cues others in the room won't pick up on. I saw a doc once that showed that some Native American tribes have this kind of communix too.

BTW, being commented on that your Thai has improved when all you did was speak eyebrow, that's pretty hilarious. Gonna have to work on less words and see how all-out eyebrow I can go. Sweet.