House Lizards 'jing Jok'

john b good

There was something on the forum a while back about the little house lizards (jing jok) that tend to make their home 'in your home'

There are many positives having these little creatures in your home (eating other small creepies etc) but there is also a bit of a downside as well.

I don't know whether it is the season or their diet at this time, but they are sh1tting everywhere.

I would not have believed just how much excrement that these little creature can generate.

Have others had this experience and is there a solution?

And I am not talking about exterminating them either although it might come to that :o

Those little lizards are Gecko's and they get pretty big, so the bigger the lizard the bigger his droppings. They are usefull when small but once they get over about 6" long get rid of them, I normally get my bro in law to do it.

Those little lizards are Gecko's and they get pretty big, so the bigger the lizard the bigger his droppings. They are usefull when small but once they get over about 6" long get rid of them, I normally get my bro in law to do it.

Think you'll find he's referring to ordinary, common or garden "jing joks" Bronco, not baby "tookays", (i.e. geckos, as you are). The word "gecko" gets mixed up a lot, but I don't define jingjoks as geckos, but lizards.

Both shit a lot around the house, but tookays are fearsome carnivores with a taste for everything from moths, jingjok tails to fingers (if you give 'em the opportunity). It's ###### hard to keep the buggers out the house, and they do do their bit at keeping some of the insects down, while the tookays help to keep the jingjoks down, so should be encouraged as part of a healthy ecosystem. Admittedly, sweeping up their crap can be a bit of a bother sometimes, but as most Thais are expert dust sweepers on a daily basis, it's not adding any extra work to the process and those little lumps actually move in the direction intended, unlike the dust which tends to just relocate itself back down on the floor 2ft away.

Now,there's a topic - is sweeping or mopping a better dust removal method? :D

(Sure sign of boredom on a rainy Isaan morning, when banaal lizard crap like this is raised. :o )

Hey My Father was in Thailand with the US Air Force and he keeps telling me about a lizard that says "F-YOU" Is this true? I been to thailand many times and I never heard them and I was in the boonies some of those times :o

I think that is the bigger ones - similiar sound as to what you wrote :D

• Like 1

Hey My Father was in Thailand with the US Air Force and he keeps telling me about a lizard that says "F-YOU" Is this true? I been to thailand many times and I never heard them and I was in the boonies some of those times :o

Plachon mentioned them ""tookays", (i.e. geckos)". But we seem to misunderstand the Thai and to us it sounds more like a nasty comment. :D

They are normally found in roof structures of country homes. And they can be quite ugly and mean.

Thanks  I played that for my dad and he said they leave the part with F-YOU out  he said it is very destinctive sound and you cannot miss it   otherwise he said that is what one sounds like

A bit of folklore I've heard about tookays...

They are bad luck if living in your house....

Listen to them 'f you!' A series of 5, 7, 9, or 11 times is considered good luck for the house closest to that tookay. Even number repititions are considered bad luck... The last repitition, if it ends on a weaker note, doesn't count :D

I grabbed one in my bedroom once...The tail came off in my hand and the tookay shit all over my wall. Real shit, too, not jingjok shit. Never could get the stain out of the paint, and I never tried tookay-hunting again.

And regarding jing-joks shit, it's pretty small, and remember that their shit is mostly made up of mozzies and other insects that would likely have been annoying you... :o

I only wish they would eat ants.

Real shit, too, not jingjok shit. 

I am not being sarcastic at all Is there a difference??

Jingjok shit is a hard little football-shaped turd that's sticky when fresh, but dries quickly.

Tookay shit is of the creamy/chunky variety, and they seem to have a large colon.. :o

I would suppose they'd taste the same, except, possibly, to the connoisseur. :D

tookays - actually I find them beautiful creatures, a lot of colour and turqoise eyes. they never come close to anybody, they just stay on the walls. in my house there aren't many of the small ones anymore since my cat tries to kill them all :o

I have not heard one here in central where I live now, But did hear them nightly and all night when I lived at San Sai ,just outside of CM, and last trip to CM I heard one while on the grounds of Mc Cormack hospital. :D

So this is it? Lizard shit! :o

apparantly so ... inquiring minds want to know ...

Anyway I heard that it's considered good luck if a Gecko craps on you ?!, I thought it was a bird or something until I looked up and seen them darting around in the eves. Everyone said that's good luck, yeah right.

I've never enountered one that's agressive and like watching them defy gravity on the ceiling. They do have colorful eyes.

gecko.jpg

Anyway I heard that it's considered good luck if a Gecko craps on you ?!, I thought it was a bird or something until I looked up and seen them darting around in the eves. Everyone said that's good luck, yeah right.

That's just what one says when they're crapped on :D

That's just what one says when they're crapped on :D

Too-kay :D

The word "gecko" gets mixed up a lot, but I don't define jingjoks as geckos, but lizards.

The Jingjoks are common house geckos , the gecko family has over 1050 members , the largest being the Tokay Gecko.

I was sad enough to breed geckos for a while here in the UK , I still marvel at the prices people pay for captive bred Tokay geckos ( £70 a pair)

Tokay can be aggressive , but only if cornered , the bite is strong and sometimes the only way to make the bastard release is to hold it underwater until breathing becomes more important than the finger in it's mouth. :D

Read below for more useless facts on geckos.................. :o

Gecko

This article describes gecko lizards. If you are looking for the HTML renderer for Mozilla, go to Gecko layout engine.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Geckos

Scientific classification

Kingdom: Animalia

Phylum: Chordata

Class: Reptilia

Order: Squamata

Sub-order: Sauria

Family: Gekkonidae

Geckos are small to moderately large lizards belonging to the Family Gekkonidae and found in warm climates throughout the world. Geckos are unique among lizards in their vocalizations, making chirping sounds in social interactions with other geckos. Geckos are unusual in other respects as well. Many species have specialized toe pads that enable them to climb smooth vertical surfaces and even cross indoor ceilings with ease. These antics are well-known to persons living in warm regions of the world where several species of geckos make their home inside human habitations. These species (for example the House gecko) become part of the indoor menagerie and are seldom really discouraged because they feed on insect pestss.

Most geckos are tan to dark grey, subtly patterned, and somewhat rubbery looking. Some species can change color to blend in with their surroundings. However others can be brightly colored. Like most lizards, they eat insects. Some species are parthenogenic, the females capable of reproducing without copulating with a male. This improves the gecko's ability to spread to new islands.

The toes of the gecko have attracted a lot of attention, as they adhere to a wide variety of surfaces, without the use of liquids or surface tension. Recent studies of the setae on gecko footpads demonstrates that the attractive forces that hold geckos to surfaces are van der Waals interactions between the finely divided setae and the surfaces themselves. That these kinds of interactions involve no liquids (or no gases) is important; in theory, a boot made of synthetic setae would adhere as easily to the surface of the International Space Station as it would to a living room wall.

Many gecko species may be kept as pets and will eat various kinds of insects.

Table of contents [showhide]

1 Common species of geckos

2 Classification of geckos

3 External link

Common species of geckos

House gecko, Hemidactylus frenatus – A species that thrives around man and human habitation structures in the tropics and subtropics world wide.

Indo-Pacific gecko, Hemidactylus garnoti – Also known as a fox gecko because of its long, narrow snout. This species is found in houses throughout the tropics.

Leopard gecko – The most common gecko kept as a pet is the leopard gecko, which does not have toe pads with setae, but rather claws. These enable it to more easily climb on rough surfaces like tree bark. This gecko cannot climb the glass of a terrarium. The leopard gecko tends to be docile and calm.

Mourning gecko, Lepidodactylus lugubris – This species is equally at home in the wild as in residential neighborhoods. Found in Hawai'i, it may have been an early Polynesian introduction. A parthenogenic species

Stump-toed gecko, Gehyra mutilata (=Peropus mutilatus) – This gecko can vary its color from very light to very dark to blend into a background. At home in the wild as well as in residential neighborhoods.

Tokay, Gekko gekko – This is the lizard for which geckos were named. It's mating call is a loud gek-gek-gek-gekkkk! The Tokay has naturalized in southern Florida.

Tree gecko, Hemiphyllodactylus typus – Tree geckos are forest dwellers.

Classification of geckos

The gecko family contains some 1050 known species which are divided into five subfamilies:

Subfamily Aeluroscalabotinae

Genus Aeluroscalabotes

Subfamily Eublepharinae

Genus Coleonyx

Genus Eublepharis

Genus Goniurosaurus

Genus Hemitheconyx

Genus Holodactylus

Subfamily Gekkoninae

Genus Afroedura

Genus Afrogecko

Genus Agamura

Genus Ailuronyx

Genus Alsophylax

Genus Aristelliger

Genus Asaccus

Genus Blaesodactylus

Genus Bogertia

Genus Briba

Genus Bunopus

Genus Calodactylodes

Genus Carinatogecko

Genus Chondrodactylus

Genus Christinus

Genus Cnemaspis

Genus Coleodactylus

Genus Colopus

Genus Cosymbotus

Genus Crossobamon

Genus Cryptactites

Genus Cyrtodactylus

Genus Cyrtopodion

Genus Dixonius

Genus Dravidogecko

Genus Ebenavia

Genus Euleptes

Genus Geckolepis

Genus Geckonia

Genus Gehyra

Genus Gekko

Genus Goggia

Genus Gonatodes

Genus Gonydactylus

Genus Gymnodactylus

Genus Haemodracon

Genus Hemidactylus

Genus Hemiphyllodactylus

Genus Heteronotia

Genus Homonota

Genus Homopholis

Genus Lepidoblepharis

Genus Lepidodactylus

Genus Luperosaurus

Genus Lygodactylus

Genus Matoatoa

Genus Microscalabotes

Genus Nactus

Genus Narudasia

Genus Pachydactylus

Genus Palmatogecko

Genus Paragehyra

Genus Paroedura

Genus Perochirus

Genus Phelsuma

Genus Phyllodactylus

Genus Phyllopezus

Genus Pristurus

Genus Pseudogekko

Genus Pseudogonatodes

Genus Ptenopus

Genus Ptychozoon

Genus Ptyodactylus

Genus Quedenfeldtia

Genus Rhoptropus

Genus Saurodactylus

Genus Sphaerodactylus

Genus Stenodactylus

Genus Tarentola

Genus Teratolepis

Genus Thecadactylus

Genus Tropiocolotes

Genus Urocotyledon

Genus Uroplatus

Subfamily Teratoscincinae

Genus Teratoscincus

Subfamily Diplodactylinae

Genus Bavayia

Genus Carphodactylus

Genus Crenadactylus

Genus Diplodactylus

Genus Eurydactylodes

Genus Hoplodactylus

Genus Lucasium

Genus Naultinus

Genus Nephrurus

Genus Oedura

Genus Phyllurus

Genus Pseudothecadactylus

Genus Rhacodactylus

Genus Rhynchoedura

Genus Saltuarius

Genus Underwoodisaurus

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Thanks  I played that for my dad and he said they leave the part with F-YOU out  he said it is very destinctive sound and you cannot miss it   otherwise he said that is what one sounds like

A bit of folklore I've heard about tookays...

They are bad luck if living in your house....

Listen to them 'f you!' A series of 5, 7, 9, or 11 times is considered good luck for the house closest to that tookay. Even number repititions are considered bad luck... The last repitition, if it ends on a weaker note, doesn't count :D

I grabbed one in my bedroom once...The tail came off in my hand and the tookay shit all over my wall. Real shit, too, not jingjok shit. Never could get the stain out of the paint, and I never tried tookay-hunting again.

And regarding jing-joks shit, it's pretty small, and remember that their shit is mostly made up of mozzies and other insects that would likely have been annoying you... :D

I only wish they would eat ants.

Everyone has them living in their houses in Banpaed, so the villiage must be full of bad luck, even used to see them on the walls at KhonKaen hotel on the 7th floor. Honestly have never heard that one before and nobody really seems to worry about them, except for the shit. :o