Learning Thai

dsys

OK its about time that I learned toi read/speak thai properly. I learn best in a face to face intsructor lead forum but as I am in the boonies this is not an option.

How did other people learn?

Wife and I have reached a point where we almost have our own language, thaiglish I call it. Not really helping each other progress much.

Have looked at loads of online things, CDs and books not sure where to go. Any pointers?

I have learn't to read & write Thai on the fly - an initial kickoff using a teach yourself thai book by "David Smyth".

Learned the Thai "alphabet" from kids books in the local newsagents & parcticed everyday reading number plates on cars & passing road signs. Took about a year to become proficient with the Thai consenants & vowels.

I am at the point now where some serious one on one tuition for a year would be very beneficial.

Soundman.

I spend at least an hour a day reading Thai everyday and have been doing this for the last five years.

Choose a subject that interests you. ( I am intersted in Buddhism but there are plenty of Thai books on every subject).

Learn the tone rules and everytime you see a new Thai word work out its tone. Eventually after a few years you will be able to do this automatically.

Don't look at Thai words as the same word with different tones but different words altogether.

Everytime you hear a new word look up its meaning.

Buy a good dictionary.

Listen to Thai music.

Watch Thai TV.

Speak it everyday.

Expect progress to be slow.

Expect to realise after a few years to realise just how far more you need to go.

Practice everyday.

Only an idea, this is what i did, after learning the basics of speaking.

Learn to write the letters of the alphabet, consonants and vowels seperately. Then get your wife to tell you what each one is, i wrote the sound down in my own personal phonetics. Takes time, but if you've got it, it worked for me. For the tones i would seek professional help, but that's enough to keep you going for a bit.

There are also baby and prathom writing books you can buy cheaply in a local bookstore, just ask your wife to take you.This will help you to learn the alphabet. :o

And you can practise everywhere, there are signs all over Thailand. Take the bus everywhere.