Retirement Visa

For a non-immigrant visa category O-A, commonly referred to as retirement visa:

1. Equivalent of 800,000 Baht

2. Equivalent of 800,000 Baht

Money can be anywhere in the world.

For an annual extension of stay for the reason of retirement:

1. Minimum 800,000 Baht

2. Minimum 800,000 Baht

Money must be in bank account in Thailand for at least three months prior to application

--

Maestro

TONYSHAW: In case you didn't grasp the difference in Maestro's two scenarios, the first scenario -- "Non-Immigrant O-A Visa" -- can only be obtained in your home country from a Thai Embassy or Consulate before traveling to Thailand.

The second scenario -- annual extension -- is done within Thailand.

There so much loose usage of the term "O-A visa" that you need to be clear just what it is. It is NOT obtained within Thailand.

And not all consulates are eager to stamp you with an O-A.

In Belgium they will turn you down, give you an O and tell you to get an extension for retirement in Thailand.

I did go through the police report, translation and notarization of all required documents (proof op pension etc) to be told me to get it done in Thailand.

And not all consulates are eager to stamp you with an O-A.

In Belgium they will turn you down, give you an O and tell you to get an extension for retirement in Thailand.

I did go through the police report, translation and notarization of all required documents (proof op pension etc) to be told me to get it done in Thailand.

Right...And for example the Ambassy in Switzerland ( Bern) ask for a bank account in Thailand ! I mean to have allready the 800000 bahts in Thailand !!!

I do not know the situation in other countries, but it is very clear that in the UK, there is only one EMBASSY, (Royal Thai Embassy), in London and a number of CONSULATES, such as Hull, Birmingham, Cardiff etc.

The EMBASSY is the only one authorised to to issue an O -A (preapproved retirement Visa), which should receive a 1 year stamp on arrival in Thailand. The embassy does require a CRO check from Scotland Yard, (easy to get for £10, takes up to 40 days) and a medical cert, completed by a doctor in the UK, as well as the financial evidence mention in this thread. The Embassy will issue the Visa on the working day following the application day. As stated a multi entry visa is good for nearly 2 years if one exits the country before it becomes invalid, (which is 1 year from the date of issue, not the date of entry)

The information on RTE website is quite clear and useful. www.thaiembassyuk.org.uk

I do not know the situation in other countries, but it is very clear that in the UK, there is only one EMBASSY, (Royal Thai Embassy), in London and a number of CONSULATES, such as Hull, Birmingham, Cardiff etc.

The EMBASSY is the only one authorised to to issue an O -A (preapproved retirement Visa), which should receive a 1 year stamp on arrival in Thailand. The embassy does require a CRO check from Scotland Yard, (easy to get for £10, takes up to 40 days) and a medical cert, completed by a doctor in the UK, as well as the financial evidence mention in this thread. The Embassy will issue the Visa on the working day following the application day. As stated a multi entry visa is good for nearly 2 years if one exits the country before it becomes invalid, (which is 1 year from the date of issue, not the date of entry)

The information on RTE website is quite clear and useful. www.thaiembassyuk.org.uk

I got mine done at the Consulate in Hull by post in June this year the CRO was not required at this end (Jomtien) neither was the medical certificate...i got my first retirement visa on the 2nd of Sept

MickA, just to make it clear for others who might be confused:

-- at the consulate in Hull you got a non-immigrant visa category O, not an O-A visa

-- in Thailand, on September 2 you got an annual extension of stay, not a retirement visa.

--

Maestro

MickA, just to make it clear for other who might be confused:

-- At the consulate in Hull you got a non-immigrant visa category O, not an O-A visa

-- in Thailand, on September 2 you got an annual extension of stay, not a retirement visa.

--

Maestro

Maestro ,me again patchas Can you tell me if it is better to get the o/a visa from thai embassy in london or get o visa from hull then get annual extension in thailand

MickA, just to make it clear for other who might be confused:

-- At the consulate in Hull you got a non-immigrant visa category O, not an O-A visa

--

Maestro

Maestro ,me again patchas Can you tell me if it is better to get the o/a visa from thai embassy in london or get o visa from hull then get annual extension in thailand

If you have the time and energy to supply the Embassy with the required documents for a O-A visa, it will enable you to stay in Thailand almost 2 years without the need to show or tie any funds.

Ihave chosen to go the O route as it is very easy to get and the exrension in Thailand is a piece of cake if you have either 800k in the bank for 3 months prior to application of extension or a letter from Embassy confirming income of 65k a month

Good luck

[Maestro ,me again patchas Can you tell me if it is better to get the o/a visa from thai embassy in london or get o visa from hull then get annual extension in thailand

Patriciachas, to get a Non-O-Visa from Hull is far easier than to obtain a Non-O A-Visa from the Thai Embassy in London and certainly bears less hassle, as Hull does not ask you for a criminal record check up nor for a medical paper and both these papers again will not be asked once you extend such visa inside Thailand.

The only disadvantage with a Multiple Non-O-Visa so to speak is that you have to do border runs (leave the country) each time 90 days have elapsed after arriving in Thailand. Just before the said visa expires you can do another border run which in fact allows you to stay in Thailand for a total stay of 15 months. Within those last 90 days, in fact 3-4 weeks before the stamp to stay date, you evantually proceed with that Extension at any immigration within Thailand based either on i.e. Marriage with Thai, Embassy Income Letter or Money in A Thai savings account.

Can you tell me if it is better to get the o/a visa from thai embassy in london or get o visa from hull then get annual extension in thailand

Neither is better. It depends on your personal preference.

--

Maestro

Can you tell me if it is better to get the o/a visa from thai embassy in london or get o visa from hull then get annual extension in thailand

Neither is better. It depends on your personal preference.

--

Maestro

Let me get this straight.....

If I get an O visa from Hull then I have to do a visa run after 90 days and then apply for the O-A (retirement) visa in Thailand, then apply for annual extensions inside Thailand, and make the 90 day notification to Imm. or Police.

OR

Get an O-A visa from the Thai Embassy in London which gives me the 12 month retirement visa from the date of entry into Thailand, I do not have to make a visa run and can re-apply annually within Thailand.. and make my 90 day notification. I will also get from the Embassey in London my pension letter of 65000Baht authorised for future extensions

???

1. You can obtain any visa or even enter on a visa exempt entry and apply for extension of stay inside Thailand. Cost is 2,000 to obtain non immigrant visa (if you do not already have) and then 1,900 baht for one year extension of stay - you present embassy letter of your 65k monthly income or three months of 800k in a Thai bank account or a combination of the two. Thereafter you make 90 day address reports if you remain in Thailand. You can also enter with a multi entry non immigrant O visa and apply for extension of stay on any entry once it is down to 30 days or less remaining on your permitted to stay stamp. Any exit after extension of stay will require a re-entry permit.

2. You can apply for a non immigrant O-A visa at the Embassy using money in the UK and police report/medical. This will provide a one year permitted to stay stamp and if issued as a multi entry visa unlimited exit/return for new one year permitted to stay stamps during the one year validity of visa (so you can stay in Thailand almost two years before you need to make an extension of stay at Immigration.

1. You can obtain any visa or even enter on a visa exempt entry and apply for extension of stay inside Thailand. Cost is 2,000 to obtain non immigrant visa (if you do not already have) and then 1,900 baht for one year extension of stay - you present embassy letter of your 65k monthly income or three months of 800k in a Thai bank account or a combination of the two. Thereafter you make 90 day address reports if you remain in Thailand. You can also enter with a multi entry non immigrant O visa and apply for extension of stay on any entry once it is down to 30 days or less remaining on your permitted to stay stamp. Any exit after extension of stay will require a re-entry permit.

2. You can apply for a non immigrant O-A visa at the Embassy using money in the UK and police report/medical. This will provide a one year permitted to stay stamp and if issued as a multi entry visa unlimited exit/return for new one year permitted to stay stamps during the one year validity of visa (so you can stay in Thailand almost two years before you need to make an extension of stay at Immigration.

You lose me on the almost 2 year bit?? also can my letter of pension be authorised by the Thai Embassey in London or do I have to do that with the UK Consul in BKK

Your pension letter is made at your Embassy in Thailand.

Each entry on a multi entry one year O-A receives a one year permitted to stay stamp; be it Jan 1, 2007 or Dec 31, 2007 - so you could enter on start date of visa Jan 1 and be stamped permitted to stay until Dec 31, 2007 - you could then exit on Dec 29 and return to get a new stamp until Dec 28, 2008.

Each entry receives a one year permitted to stay stamp from date of entry. The visa is valid for one year (for entry).