Cash Or Credit Card

MaastMuller

hi.

i just wanted to know, how to pay guesthouses/hotels the best way. cash or by credit card??? ( especial the more simple guesthouses)

and what in thailand is better payed by creditcard?

cheers!! :o

I RARLELY use a credit card in thailand anymore. I have them and hold them for em for emegencies.

Few years ago I got a master card bill with 3k$ of unauthorized charges from jewelry shop in BKK.-- Took me 9 months to get those charges reversed.

If you do use your card--try not to let it out of your sight.

I have used the american express and visa in LOS for over 9 years and never had any trouble from any hotels. But last year I recieved a call from my visa card company asking if I bought @ $900.00 worth of groceries in Japan. It seem someone had used my card numbers in Japan. I had just used my card in the U.S. the day before the charges in Japan. Someone was on the ball at visa and fiqured out that I could not be in 2 places at once and called to see if I made the charges in japan. They canceled the account and the next day I had my new card. No hassles and no charges.

The credit card company thinks that someone in Thailand stole my card number and sent the info to some one in Japan.

Just check with your card company to make sure you are not responsible for theft or fraud.

good luck

PKG

• 2 weeks later...

As said it is much better to use an ATM or Debit card linked to one of the major services such as Cirrus/Plus/Visa etc. There are ATM's just about everywhere in Thailand and most will accept these. Credit card swipe may be required at higher class hotels when you check-in unless you pay in advance or deposit your passport however. But it would be safer to just pay one day at a time, in cash.

Many places in Thailand will try to restrict credit card use and prefer cash. Add to this the extra 2% or so that many credit card companies now change for overseas use and it just does not make sense to use it.

I invariably use a credit card when travelling. If booking hire car, airline tkts, hotels, etc. over the internet a credit card # is usually required. I regularly check my accounts on the internet to ensure that nothing is amiss.

Never had a major problem (yet) and I get points which I can transfer to air miles.

I never pay interest as I have a standing order to pay my account off every month - you can effectively get up to 6 weeks free credit. Much better for me than carrying a lot of cash around.

I invariably use a credit card when travelling. If booking hire car, airline tkts, hotels, etc. over the internet a credit card # is usually required. I regularly check my accounts on the internet to ensure that nothing is amiss.

Never had a major problem (yet) and I get points which I can transfer to air miles.

I never pay interest as I have a standing order to pay my account off every month - you can effectively get up to 6 weeks free credit. Much better for me than carrying a lot of cash around.

I am fully with you on this.

Some places a bit hard in Thailand to accept AMEXCO. Due to higher fees they prefer Visa/Master. (Just had a problem in Cha AM, Esso gasoline, big Amexco-sign but wanted Visa. Callcenter Amexco helped)

I run the Amexco with a Thai-Baht account, others in overseas banks. Naturally want to pay Baht-bills in Baht to avoid exchange losses.

Supermarkets like Villa, Tops in BKK accept all cards for amounts above Baht 200.

Gasoline give often double and triple-points and a tank filling is esily Baht +1000 at Baht 20 per liter, now.

Pubs, Restaurants = Credit card. Exception, some bars, where usually I do not go, saw it all. They want 4-5 % extra on C/cards.

Airline tickets, carrental, hotels all on cards.

The mileage programs are great, Baht 25 spent equals 1 km free flight, with promotions up to 3 km.

Last but not least, if the night was too long, you can check on your credit-card receipts where you have been. Like a fact finding mission. :o Careful, wife can also check.

While the milage plan's are nice on some credit card's and most places require you to at least swipe you card upon check in , you can pay cash at the end of your stay and avoid the 5% credit card fee from the hotel . Can also be done with a debit card . Make sure that they tear up the slip in front of you . I have never had a problem doing it this way ( knock on wood ) I usually do it this way because I get to the hotel at around 1:30 am and dont feel like changing money at the airport.

Sure Jeff, you can do that but 5% extra-fee for using the card?

Not as long as the place displays the card's logo, if they try I ask for help by the card-company.

Exceptions are e.g. serviced apartments. There you do not rent a room but sign a lease agreement for room and separately for furniture (Has to do with the LoS-taxes) and agree on cash price or extra charge for card.

On more exception are travel agents offering special cash deals.

That might be it Axel ,

I only go to serviced apartments / hotel's but only stay for a week or two. No contract. I belive I paid the 5% at other hotels in Korat too .

Also I book through a travel service

Depending on how long you intend to stay,I usually bring cash with me and deposit it asap in my Thai bank account.But if you want to open a Thai account,this may take a week or so before you get an ATM card.Visa Electrons are popular in Thailand now and cost about 300bt.However,the beauty of it is that when your money runs low, then you can withdraw a large amount on your own credit card and deposit the money straight into your Thai account-thus avoiding paying bank commission every time that you need a bit of cash.Also,of course, it's a safer option than even hotel strong boxes,imo.