Entering Los With A Thai Passport Or Canadian

Hello, any body know when my family and I go back to live in Thailand, should my wife and kids enter under there thai passports or canadian and if you could give advantages and disavantages for each.

We will be living threre for a long time and building our new house,,,We sold our last one before we left a year ago, and are know returning..

One child born in Thailand 2 years ago and has lived in Canada for a year the other is 7 months old and born in Canada..Both have thai and Canada passports and citizenships,

any experience

Unless there are legal reasons - most wanted list - you should always use the passport of the country you enter/depart. They should use there Thai passports and enter as Thai. It is not that important for short vacations but for long term stay they would have to renew extensions of stay every year if not here as Thai and do 90 day address reports and there could be legal problems in land transfers I suspect if anyone wanted to case a trouble.

They must enter as Thai to be without visa obligations. As I said if they enter with another passport they will have to extend there stay like any other permitted long term visitor and make 90 day address reports. It is no big deal to obtain the extensions but it is a pain and not necessary if they enter on Thai passports.

The US avoids this by the requirement that you use your US passport for entry. You don't have any option.

They must enter as Thai to be without visa obligations. As I said if they enter with another passport they will have to extend there stay like any other permitted long term visitor and make 90 day address reports. It is no big deal to obtain the extensions but it is a pain and not necessary if they enter on Thai passports.

The US avoids this by the requirement that you use your US passport for entry. You don't have any option.

Agree with using the Thai passport on entering Thailand. A lot less hassle. Kinda odd though when they go back to US they will have to use US Passport which shows departure stamp but no entry stamp to Thailand. What's your guess on US Immigration's response. Probably no issue if they simply show the Thai passport was used to enter and exit Thailand? The reason I ask is the US is getting pretty touchy regarding where people have traveled.

Thanks for the replys,,,,If they are undder there Canada passport can they not just stay because they are Thai citizens?

If they are under the Canadian passport, they must keep up-to-date with the visa extensions, 90-days report etc... Otherwise the passport will show a big overstay next time the family wants to take a holiday in Canada, which means some trouble with the immigration officer at Suvarnabhumi (at least a fine to pay).

Assuming you haven't kept up-to-date with visa extensions and you don't want to pay the overstay fine, you still could use the Thai passport to leave Thailand, but that would make the Canadian passport risky to use for any further trip to Thailand, since it would have an entry stamp without matching exit stamp. Seems too much trouble to be worth it.

One of the advantages of Dual citizenship.

Thailand. Enter and leave on the Thai passport.

Canada. Leave and enter on your Canadian passport.

Use your Canadian passport to enter and leave all other countries.

You can keep your Thai ID card up to date at the same time when in Thailand.

One of the advantages of Dual citizenship.

Thailand. Enter and leave on the Thai passport.

Canada. Leave and enter on your Canadian passport.

Use your Canadian passport to enter and leave all other countries.

You can keep your Thai ID card up to date at the same time when in Thailand.

"All other countries"?

If I had a Thai passport as well as my UK passport, I would use the Thai passport if ever I wanted to enter countries such as Vietnam, where (most, if not all) ASEAN countries get visa-free entry for a number of days (14 or 30, I forget). As a Westerner, I would need a visa to enter Vietnam.

However, if I had a Thai passport as well as my UK passport, I would not dream of using it to enter a country such as Japan, where Thais have one heck of a job to get even a tourist visa for a couple of days' stay.

I have taken my kids to Canada several times and always use Thai passport to enter and depart Thailand and Can passport for Canada no problems at all. You could use the Canadian passport in a pinch as kids are exempt from paying overstay fines.