Dual Nationality For Children?

kai21

Hi. I was wondering if any of you women out there with Thai husbands have kids and if so, are they able to have dual nationality? I am about to give birth to my first son and so far my understanding is that he will receive British (my) nationality but in doing so will not be able to claim Thai nationality - basically it has to be a choice. Is this right? I got this information from the offical at the amphur office when I got married but a couple of internet searches have made me think that perhaps dual nationality is a possibility. I am legally married to my Thai husband and I have a work-permit. My son will be born in Thailand. Any information would be most appreciated.

Hi. I was wondering if any of you women out there with Thai husbands have kids and if so, are they able to have dual nationality? I am about to give birth to my first son and so far my understanding is that he will receive British (my) nationality but in doing so will not be able to claim Thai nationality - basically it has to be a choice. Is this right? I got this information from the offical at the amphur office when I got married but a couple of internet searches have made me think that perhaps dual nationality is a possibility. I am legally married to my Thai husband and I have a work-permit. My son will be born in Thailand. Any information would be most appreciated.

Comply with Thai birth registration and the Thai bit is easy. Register the birth with the Brit Embassy, and the child can be a two passport dual citizen. Good luck.

Dr P is right, so go for it.

The thing with the many local officials is that they don't know that Thai Nationality Act was ammended in 2535 and the law does not forbid dual nationality. It used to be illegal, but since 2535 this has changed.

In so far as there being a clause in the rules regarding choosing ones nationality, the rules actually state that when a child turns 20 the have the option of renouncing Thai nationality for 1 year after they turn 20. They don't have to renounce if they chose not to.

Many officials misinterpret this rule and believe that once someone turns 20 they must chose a nationality, which is incorrect.

Good luck with the new bubsy!

• 3 weeks later...

It was very easy... just do the Thai portion first, and then have the Thai birth certificate translated & certifiied then just go the the embassy with both parents details.

I picked up my son's birth certificate from the British Embassy this morning... takes about 4 days and now he is registered in the UK and I'll apply for his Passport very soon. Cost around 7000THB.

The consul said the only time you could have a problem is when the parents were not married before the birth.