Excavator Damages Main Internet Optic Fibre Cable

george

Excavator damages main internet optic fibre cable

BANGKOK: -- An excavator digging in front of Supalachai stadium damaged a TOT's optic fibre cable disabling almost half of its Internet services in the country.

-- Bangkok Post 2007-09-30

Update:

Internet chaos as TOT cables damaged

BANGKOK: -- Fibre optic cables accidentally severed by an excavator doing construction work around Supachalasai stadium this morning has caused disruption to more than half of TOT Public Company Limited’s nationwide internet connection.

TOT clients have been told that the issue could be resolved by midnight.

Arsa Sattayuth, Deputy Managing Director of TOT, has reassured customers that technical experts are already on the case and will fix the problem as soon as possible.

He said the problem was caused by an excavator inadvertently digging into the ground, cutting off 200 and 300 CORE fibre optic subterranean cables.

• Replies 72
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Tx for the info, George.

I will keep that in mind for next time. Symptoms: DSL connected, DNS working, e.g. ping google.com resolves the IP address, but no internet connectivity.

TOT call center was - unsurprisingly - completely overrun.

I have been back up since 12:00 noon.

Edited by nikster

Explains a lot...

That explains why I am getting 200k download speeds on uTorrent and around the same for regular downloads, and almost 1.7 MB on Speakeasy test to USA. Sukhumvit area, Prompong.

I have new 2MB connection and all seems excellent, now it looks like these speeds only because half or more TOT users offline... ######.

Oh, well I will make the most and get some files downloaded before 'normal service resumes'.

Or, perhaps when they fix it we'll get super improvements...

FF.

Tx for the info, George.

I will keep that in mind for next time. Symptoms: DSL connected, DNS working, e.g. ping google.com resolves the IP address, but no internet connectivity.

TOT call center was - unsurprisingly - completely overrun.

I have been back up since 12:00 noon.

If that's the symptom, then TOT must have cut cables approx. three times daily in the last Year or two ....

I am on Loxinfo now, everythings fine!

Sunny

Thanks for that information, George. I kept trying to contact TOT for nearly three hours this morning and nobody would answer the phone lines. A nice recording explaining what had happened would have been helpful to many people. TIT

anyone recently switch from TOT adsl to TRUE? Is it worth the time and trouble? i have TRUE TV and mobile phone...but TOT phone line. anyone?

Switched to True a few months ago. It's not perfect (although I'm satisfied), but the service level is amazingly good. These people know what they're doing and talking about.

anyone recently switch from TOT adsl to TRUE? Is it worth the time and trouble? i have TRUE TV and mobile phone...but TOT phone line. anyone?

Why would anyone want to go to True?

I spent this last year getting rid of their mobiles from my home, and then ditching the joke that is UBC.

Next step to change internet provider....

I now have excellent international TV for a fraction of the price True charge, and with more channels and in better quality.

Also now my mobile bill makes sense, I actually have coverage all over the country (and at home!!) and I am not constantly being scammed by billing problems.

My advice to you is steer well clear of True for as much as you can.

Unfortunately I have not found a better internet service than True in my area, and consequently accept them as the best of a bad lot.

If True were not blocking the upgrades at our local exchange for a certain other internet provider I would be changing.

Edited by scratt

I spent this last year getting rid of their mobiles from my home, and then ditching the joke that is UBC.

I now have excellent international TV for a fraction of the price True charge, and with more channels and in better quality.

Tell us more about this TV. I'm also want out of True.

Also now my mobile bill makes sense, I actually have coverage all over the country (and at home!!) and I am not constantly being scammed by billing problems.

Unfortunately I have not found a better internet service than True in my area, and consequently accept them as the best of a bad lot.

If True were not blocking the upgrades at our local exchange for a certain other internet provider I would be changing.

I too would like to hear about any alternative to True Visions from anyone that has information. Sorry about being off subject.

BANGKOK: -- Fibre optic cables accidentally severed by an excavator doing construction work around Supachalasai stadium this morning has caused disruption to more than half of TOT Public Company Limited’s nationwide internet connection

interessting.

the tot adsl connection was dead here in koh chang since yesterday ~8pm.

it just came back to normal cuple of minutes ago.

Who are you using for tv service and mobile phone service??? I have UBC and True for mobile phone. And they are too expensive.

BANGKOK: -- An excavator digging in front of Supalachai stadium damaged a TOT's optic fibre cable disabling almost half of its Internet services in the country.

Update:

BANGKOK: -- Fibre optic cables accidentally severed by an excavator doing construction work around Supachalasai stadium this morning has caused disruption to more than half of TOT Public Company Limited’s nationwide internet connection.

Arsa Sattayuth, Deputy Managing Director of TOT, has reassured customers that technical experts are already on the case and will fix the problem as soon as possible.

He said the problem was caused by an excavator inadvertently digging into the ground, cutting off 200 and 300 CORE fibre optic subterranean cables.

We are ok down here in Hau Hin for internet.

Central Isaan out all day until early afternoon. However, download speeds are pretty bad here at 4pm. They must have done a temporary fix to at least get everyone back on line. Maybe the original promise of "fixed by midnight" refers to the full capabilities, speed-wise.

Update:

I`m wondering whether they would be working with a excavator at midnight. Since my internet connection came to screaming halt at around midnight last night from 1MB+ download per second to 0. I could not connect again until about 11:30 am .

I love the word inadvertently.

Why is this such a big problem, if the cable is cut between two nodes then the protection should take over, no-one should lose any Internet connections.

This happened to me whilst working in London, but as I worked for the company we had protection in place, in fact if it happens in Europe or America you should never lose any service.

Also the slowness of the Internet is still a major problem, why?

Why when it rains does my DSL disappear? It would not happen anywhere else.

Seems they save money on the equipment so that we the customers pay for a service that is not as good as it should be.

Am also interested in the TV idea, have been thinking of using True IPTV, but not sure if its such a great idea.

Edited by beano2274

TOT ADSL and phone were down at house in Huayai from before 0615 to around 1200.

TOT ADSL and phone bouncing, mostly down, all day at Pattaya condo.

TT&T at Condo perfect ADSL, phone, IP Hardware phone and Thai Visa, but International data connections stuttering a lot since 1500.

Get off the line please I'm busy!

Come one it is a wonder that most thinks work here some how, if you just have a look at the cables what hanging around in the streets,

they live here "maybelai chai dai"

is there any internet for us in the countryside?

I use the Hutch aircard, it is ok but not very fast.

Happy Thailand :o