True 2mbit

hellsis

Hello!

I am going to sign up for a 2mbit true dsl connection in a hous on sukhumwit. The internet connection is important for me, I can´t have any disconnections and the speed have to be okey. I work with something that needs a pretty fast and a very stable line.

As I have understand the line is at it best at night and if it is like that I have to be awake the whole night so I can do my working that dosen´t sound to funny but if I have no choice I will do it. How much worse is the connection to international servers at day time if you compare to night?

worse. i find the best connections very early morning usually here. the speed? 1 have true 1mbit, well, teorically, as usually it is waaay slower. good, they mentioned it in there disclaimer. i only wonder how is that i never found it faster for a change. otherwise, the connection is as reliable.

Thank you for your answer tingtong falang ;P

So the connection is way slower then it says to be? Okey I was kind of expecting that. In the night time and morning it is at it´s best? Do you ever have any disconnectionproblems?

Can you ping www.google.com for me and write back with times you are getting? I would be thankfull. (open the commando function and write " ping www.google.com " without the ". )

The best would be if someone would be ambitious and ping google.com some times in the morning, a couple of times in the day and a couple a times in the evening and then make some judgements about the average speed and reliability.

Hello!

I am going to sign up for a 2mbit true dsl connection in a hous on sukhumwit. The internet connection is important for me, I can´t have any disconnections and the speed have to be okey. I work with something that needs a pretty fast and a very stable line.

As I have understand the line is at it best at night and if it is like that I have to be awake the whole night so I can do my working that dosen´t sound to funny but if I have no choice I will do it. How much worse is the connection to international servers at day time if you compare to night?

I have True 2MB in my office - and except for occasional hiccups that typically don't last more than a minute, it's fine and even quite fast sometimes. I would call it stable for the most part, even during the day.

One caveat, however - I did in fact just discover that they are using some sort of caching mechanism which recognizes a particular packet or something - when I was doing live database work the other day, it kept returning results which I knew could not be possible as they had not updated. I tested on a different computer - then even through a US-based proxy - but the result was exactly the same. Soon as I got home, onto my CS-Loxinfo - the data was correct.

So - if your work does not involve live data retrieval (especially stock quotes) - I would say True is a good option. If, however, your work is dependent on minute-to-minute updates, you may need to consider another alternative.

Hope this helps.

Thank you for your answer tingtong falang ;P

So the connection is way slower then it says to be? Okey I was kind of expecting that. In the night time and morning it is at it´s best? Do you ever have any disconnectionproblems?

Can you ping www.google.com for me and write back with times you are getting? I would be thankfull. (open the commando function and write " ping www.google.com " without the ". )

The best would be if someone would be ambitious and ping google.com some times in the morning, a couple of times in the day and a couple a times in the evening and then make some judgements about the average speed and reliability.

Makes no difference - by the time you see slow ping response times it is out of True's control. I check this all the time on a regular basis no matter which provider I use.

onethailand

Thank you for your answer it was to a really big help since you seem to understand my dilemma.

One more question though, on average how many times per week do this 1 minute disconnections occur, you think? Hard to say I guess but we are not talking 15 times per day more like maybe one per day or something I hope?

Edited by hellsis

onethailand

Thank you for your answer it was to a really big help since you seem to understand my dilemma.

One more question though, on average how many times per week do this 1 minute disconnections occur, you think? Hard to say I guess but we are not talking 15 times per day more like maybe one per day or something I hope?

If it happened more than a couple times a day that sure as heck would not be stable in my opinion :o

I also have True 2.5mbit, have been using it for nearly a year. Has been a roller coaster ride. Sometimes it's EXTREMELY AWESOME, no matter the time of the day, with international speeds at around 95% line speed. Sometimes it's GODAWFULLY HORRIBLE, no matter the time of the day, int'l speeds around 5% line speed. Will be like this for days or weeks. Right now, it's leaning towards horrible... real world speeds are about 20kbytes, the speakeasy speed test page took nearly a minute to load and is giving me a result of 200kbits (from 2.5mbits). Ping is always good, it's the data transfer that's bad. Torrents are sometimes good, sometimes bad, I can't say for sure since I don't use torrents much. Certain protocols won't work properly (winMX, for one).

Be warned: True cuts the connection 24 or 48 hours after login, for no particular reason. A router will normally just re-connect, but if you have important work going on, it can be a real pain.

If you really want a good consistent connection, go for a business package (from anyone).

True's lines tend to have less disconnects since they're newer, and their CO equipment is newer. Doesn't mean that you can't enjoy the same performance from TOT's lines.

Thank you guys. The dsl connection really sounds like thailand, can be good but sometimes horrible..

Business package, around how much does that cost per month? If the true 2 mbit is horrible sometimes I think my results will make me earn like maybe 100.000 bath less per month versus a 100% stable and fast line so I sure have a marginal to pay for better broadband if it is possible.

The caching that True uses presents some other problems. One is that sites like Rapidshare or Sendspace or Megaupload tend to not work, or work very rarely. Megaupload pretty much always says that all download slots are in use. Sendspace often says that you're downloading too many files at once (since it sees the cache server) or have exceeded your daily limit, even though you're only downloading your first file. Rapidshare simply won't accept the verification code, and will never allow a download. It probably affects other sites in weird ways too.

Also, from my experience, True's proxy servers seem to be the most "censored"... in that they censor the most websites compared to other ISPs. They're also a pain to avoid.

Did you contact True already? Coz in my area (Sukhumvit 50) they won't install any new line until the new year (they said something to fix, obviously didn't know the reason). If you already have a True phoneline, but not internet on it yet, then you'll be able to get ADSL.

As for the quality of the connection, it really depends on your area, you won't be sure until you test it.

Im in sweden right now but will fly down there and try to fix true. I hope there will be no problem since some thai people I know have talked to true and they said I just sign for ADSL when I arrive (i don´t sign, a thai friend do it cause only thais can do it as i´m sure you already know.) to thailand and it will be up and running in a few days. The house I will be living in is located around sukhumvit 60 and more specifically I don´t want to say.

Maybe I have to contact the thai people down there again and ask them if they asked for specifically this house I will live in or just overall how I will do..

And then I´m not sure if they have TOT or true phoneline.

I think I have to clear this out. Thai people seems so "no problem, everything will work" but in the end it will not work.

You certainly have to clear this out: 1st know if there is already an active True phoneline in the house (then no problem). If there is not one, make sure one can be installed at this precise location, or even better have it installed now. If the result is that it's not possible, then look at your other options with a TOT line.

Okey so now it seams that I have to use TOTs services cause the telephone in the house is with TOT.

Or should I try to fix true, which is better, no difference?

I just moved to thailand 2 weeks ago and i had the option of either TRUE or TOT because my condo has both lines. I decided on TRUE, because of what i have heard from people in this forum.

So far I'm very happy with it. I am used to my 7Mbit cable back in Canada and was prepared for a very bad experience.

I'm on the 3Mbit connection and so far the speeds have been great. Local torrents(within ASIA) gives me 300-330K . International bandwith is up and down, 130K is the slowest, but usually in the 200s and sometimes I get over 300K. Seems that noon is the sweet spot for me.

From the complaints i have hear about TOT over the last week with the cable being cut and the massive outtage, I"m glad i didn't go with them.

For 1100Baht and a free Cell line as long as i am using them, can't complain about that either.

Now they says to me that it is not a problem to have BOTH TOT (only telephone with TOT no adsl) and True in the same house? So they want to sign up with true temporarly and have TOT in the same time cause it is more work to sign off with TOT also and I will only be staying in the house for 6 month..

They are going to ask TOT and True tomorrow but do you think is it possible? For me it sounds strange that you can have two telephonecompanies at the same time in the same house, but they say that it is possible. ?

No problem with having 2 phone lines from different companies in the same house, I had the same configuration before: TOT line that was installed by the owner before I moved in, and a True line I had installed for internet.

• 2 weeks later...

Okey now I´m setuped with 2mbit true and it seams to work just fine. A little bit slow but fully acceptable. I have only tested it for one day but so far there isn´t a single disconnection which was the crucial part..

Thank you again guys

Edited by hellsis