Muay Thai For Kids In Chiang Mai

damian5000

What kind of instruction are you looking for? Why is the boy taking MT (ie: to fight/compete, fitness, etc?)

Not to compete. Though if he chooses to later on in life it would be cool. I'm thinking more as self-confidence / respect / discipline / fitness. These would be the 4 main things I'd like him to learn. I believe martial arts can provide those and more if it's a decent program/instructor. Thanks again for any suggestions.

Well, tough call. Learning at a village camp would be one of the better options. Can you ask around where you are to see if anyone knows of a local camp? Learning at a village is less technical, but a lot of repitition and hard work. I am not sure if Pedro at the MT Sangha teaches children, but he might. He is extremely knowledgeable and pays close attention to detail. www.ancientmuaythai.com is his website i believe.

The bigger camps will also offer more "instruction", but it could be easy for a boy to fall through the cracks. If you do take him to Lanna or Chai Yai, I would recommend speaking to the owners and explaining exactly what you would like to accomplish, and that you are willing to pay. Since he is not a fighter, tuition would likely be expected.

Hope this helps.

Tae kwon do is indeed very popular these days for kids .

Muy Thai got the Isaan roots , The North is not particularly famous for it ,

I thought Lanna gym or something like that is pretty good and clean .

I consider Jiu - Jitsu and Kenpo as the most superior and effective martial arts form (next to Muy Thai ), also Aikido .

There are sure some places to find , also fine not only to learn kicking and hitting .

Hi!

My son, 7-years old Thai just started in Chay Yai, behind the Varee school.

It would be nice to have somebody to practise with him!

How's he liking it? How many kids are usually in a class?

Also, appreciate all the suggestions. I guess it doesn't necessarily have to be Muay Thai. So anywhere good that teaches martial arts appreciated.

Are the camps that were mentioned places where kids go to stay for the day and learn their schooling there also?

Muay Thai isn't really taught in a "class" environment here. You should check out a session before and speak with the owner just to make sure it is what you are keen on for your son. I know Chay Yai was teaching Brazillian Jiu-Jitsu, which would likely be in a class format, although maybe no kids?

Hi!

How's he liking it? How many kids are usually in a class?

Also, appreciate all the suggestions. I guess it doesn't necessarily have to be Muay Thai. So anywhere good that teaches martial arts appreciated.

Are the camps that were mentioned places where kids go to stay for the day and learn their schooling there also?

Maybe you should let your kid choose by himself what he like most .

Then you can be sure that your efford is much appreciated by him .

I am almost very sure he probably will choose Tae -Kwondo .

Kids just love it .

Can anyone suggest a good place? Someone that really knows their Muay Thai. The kid is Thai and 7 years old. Preferably in the Muang Mai district. Appreciate it! Thanks.

A "really good place" for a child of that age would be in a safe and happy family environment in which physical exercise and sport was - just that. Not enduring hours of pain "strengthening" legs and arms by having the shxt kxcked out of them in MuayThai! Didn't you KNOW that this is a total NO-NO NOW for kids below the age of puberty??

OK, the boy you mention may not be an orphan with no other route out of poverty than to try to go through the incredible pain barrier to be a success. So, if there are other options, why not take them? And let him go into Muay Thai totally and later, as and when his body and mind is ready for it, of his own volition, as and when and IF he feels like it??

Medics have concluded that Muay Thai can do irreperable damage to small bodies. Spectators have told me how they felt when they saw a tiny SIX year old orphan hilltribe boy knocked unconscious in the ring by a kid twice his size. In Chiang Mai province a few years ago. Before the law was changed!!

Need I say more?

well, my son does not practise with the adults, does not do painfull strechings, does not fight in the ring with older children (does not fight at all).

He is having fun, and if he wants to practise Muay Thai, why not,as long as it is fun and safe.

Maybe you should let your kid choose by himself what he like most .

Then you can be sure that your efford is much appreciated by him .

I am almost very sure he probably will choose Tae -Kwondo .

Kids just love it .

Can you suggest a decent place for Tae-Kwondo?

Can anyone suggest a good place? Someone that really knows their Muay Thai. The kid is Thai and 7 years old. Preferably in the Muang Mai district. Appreciate it! Thanks.

A "really good place" for a child of that age would be in a safe and happy family environment in which physical exercise and sport was - just that. Not enduring hours of pain "strengthening" legs and arms by having the shxt kxcked out of them in MuayThai! Didn't you KNOW that this is a total NO-NO NOW for kids below the age of puberty??

OK, the boy you mention may not be an orphan with no other route out of poverty than to try to go through the incredible pain barrier to be a success. So, if there are other options, why not take them? And let him go into Muay Thai totally and later, as and when his body and mind is ready for it, of his own volition, as and when and IF he feels like it??

Medics have concluded that Muay Thai can do irreperable damage to small bodies. Spectators have told me how they felt when they saw a tiny SIX year old orphan hilltribe boy knocked unconscious in the ring by a kid twice his size. In Chiang Mai province a few years ago. Before the law was changed!!

Need I say more?

It doesn't have to necessarily be Muay Thai. Any martial art will do. Do you let your kids make all their decisions and choices in Their life? Probably not. Not everything is up to the child and a parent's job (IMO) is to prepare them for the real world. Something i think martial arts and getting them involved in other activities outside the "happy family environment" helps with. If the kid absolutely hated it, I'm not going to force it on him. But "IF" you just let them run around and do what they want "IF" they want to... Imagine how they'd be as adults.

Edited by damian5000

Hi!

MJK,

what is the address for that school? Is it close to Muang Mai district at all? How big are the classes? Thanks!

-Damian

Do you know Montfort school ?

Next to it is a catholic girl school .

Next to that girl school (opposite another girl school ), which the names slip me ,

is a well known Tae kwondo school for kids .

Maybe this will help you out , there is also a music school .

I also saw near Wat Prahsing a Tae Kwondo school , also for children , check it out Damian .

Damian,

ChayYai's address is 30/17 M.4 Baan Sunpaliang T.Nonghoy A.Muang.

If You drive the road between Technology Asia-and Varee school (Mahidol rd.), straight away over a little bridge, and next T- crossroads to the left, then drive about 100 meter and the outdoor gym is on Your left.

There are no classes, people practise with the teachers and alone, come and go when they want.

I usually take my son there 3 times a week (mon, wed,fri). Training is in the mornings 8.00am-10.00am and afternoons 4.00pm-6.00pm.

Need I say more?

Hi Flatouthruthefog, you wouldn't happen to have a link for this report by medics would you?

Many thanks!

Need I say more?

Hi Flatouthruthefog, you wouldn't happen to have a link for this report by medics would you?

Many thanks!

Sorry for the delay. Thought I had it on the top of the pile but - no. It was in one of the credible local publications a few years back. Think it was in the now defunct 'Good Morning'. Stand by while I dig through more piles! May take a day or so.

• 4 weeks later...

Just emerged from days and nights in the cellar, wading through piles of old magazines.

'Good Morning' of May 2004 quoted Cambodian Boxing Federation Dr Choeung Yavyen as saying that "The teenage body is just not strong enough" and admitted he was worried about the sport's damage to young boys.

He was reacting to the death of a 16 year old in a Cambodian ring earlier that year, killed by his 14 year old opponent.

And you are talking about someone half that age! I'd recommend soccer, or cricket, or almost ANY other martial art.

Just emerged from days and nights in the cellar, wading through piles of old magazines.

'Good Morning' of May 2004 quoted Cambodian Boxing Federation Dr Choeung Yavyen as saying that "The teenage body is just not strong enough" and admitted he was worried about the sport's damage to young boys.

He was reacting to the death of a 16 year old in a Cambodian ring earlier that year, killed by his 14 year old opponent.

And you are talking about someone half that age! I'd recommend soccer, or cricket, or almost ANY other martial art.

The doctor would probably be refering to competing in boxing/muay thai. If just training, muay thai

should not place any dangerous demands on the body, except a hard workout.

I