Boxing Orangutan In Thailand?

jakesideas

I am currently in the USA and I was waiting to get a study done at the medical center here. They are paying me to study my brain while I sleep. I was watching TV while I was waiting for the study to begin and I saw..."Up next, Orangutan boxing a man in Thailand!" Then they showed TV footage of an Orangutan with boxing gloves standing on its feet punching a guy in a boxing ring. I didn't have a chance to see the report because the study started. Is this for real?!?? Anybody out there see this live or on TV?

I am currently in the USA and I was waiting to get a study done at the medical center here. They are paying me to study my brain while I sleep. I was watching TV while I was waiting for the study to begin and I saw..."Up next, Orangutan boxing a man in Thailand!" Then they showed TV footage of an Orangutan with boxing gloves standing on its feet punching a guy in a boxing ring. I didn't have a chance to see the report because the study started. Is this for real?!?? Anybody out there see this live or on TV?

That was the Tyson fight wasn't it? :o

I saw a program on TV here in Oz on the weekend and it showed Orangutangs boxing each other, in reality they were slapping more than punching.

The point of the story was that the owner had too many of these animals to have bred them himself and they had been illegally smuggled from indonesia and they were gonna be DNA checked.

So far thats all I have seen on it.

Orangutang boxing is a good laugh...I've seen it two or three times live since I've been traveling/living in Thailand. There are usually two animals in the ring and a chimp outside who acts as the ringside card holder (signaling which round it is). Most of the time there is little punching and more slapping as one poster mentioned. However, there is often some kneeing and kicking with one of them pushing the other one against the ropes. The ref (one of the animal handlers) often gets sucker slapped in the back of the head by the dominant orangutang. They're so uncoordinated in the ring...they look worse than me when I started training in Muay Thai...hard to believe since they live their lives in trees :o

Orangutang boxing is a good laugh...I've seen it two or three times live since I've been traveling/living in Thailand. There are usually two animals in the ring and a chimp outside who acts as the ringside card holder (signaling which round it is). Most of the time there is little punching and more slapping as one poster mentioned. However, there is often some kneeing and kicking with one of them pushing the other one against the ropes. The ref (one of the animal handlers) often gets sucker slapped in the back of the head by the dominant orangutang. They're so uncoordinated in the ring...they look worse than me when I started training in Muay Thai...hard to believe since they live their lives in trees :o

How anyone with any intelligence or compassion can get a "good laugh" from the sight of 2 naturally gentle creatures being exhibited and exploited in such a display simply for the amusement of people is quite beyond me.

The owner should be prosecuted and anyone who finds it amusing to watch should be ashamed of themselves.

Anyone who takes delight in seeing it "two or three times" is truly a pathetic excuse for a human being.

I have seen this twice bat Safari World. It is not real boxing. It is a whole sketch with chimps and orangutans. Really it is the handlers that get slapped about. The apes seem to enjoy the fun. :D

It is no different from any animal circus act I have seen - with out the whips and chairs! :o

The Apes are in the ring for only about 5 minutes of a 30 minute show - mostly they play around and tease the handlers (trousers pulled down - kicked up the bum when they try to opull the up etc - that's the apes kicking the handlers not vice-versa). :D

I have seen monkey shows in and around LOS that show monkeys climbing for cocnuts etc. Often these poor things have had their teeth pulled to stop them biting and sometimes their nails too. This is worse in my view. :D

The worst thing I have seen in LOS is a Nong Nook Park. They animals are in tiny barred caves in the blistering heat with no access to water for most of the day (I am talking Apes again here). They drag out the elderly tigers (claws/teeth pulled) for photos. My family had a great row with the handlers when one 20 something w*ker thought it was funny to hit this great beast - subdued by age and surgery - re[peatedly over the head with a rock. We could hear the crack fifty yards away and come back to try and stop him. He, and his fellow handlers, thought it was most funny that people would complain (farand and Thai). He did stop, but only until he thought we were out of earshot and then he started again - thwack. He had disapeared when I returned! :D

I have seen many Thai males slap animals of various kinds on the head. Irritates me every single time. I wish the animal would bite back real hard in the right place sometime, but unfortunately this has yet to occur.

Only goes to show that the precepts of the religion you are born to says very, very little about how you actually behave.