Alcohol Sales Outside Licenced Times

samtam

I was disappointed to note that the wine shop next to the supermarket in Siam Paragon is now adhering to the licencing laws, (viz not selling after 2.00pm and before 5.00 pm), although it appeared to do this with impunity for a number of years. I was never sure why it was able to do so, but I guess someone ratted on them, or the kickback rates became too high.

I wonder if there will be any reversion to the system before that introduced under the Thaksin government, that enabled purchases at any time. Wishful thinking?

.. to the licencing laws, (viz not selling after 2.00pm and before 5.00 pm), ...

Don't you want to get any sleep during those period of hours? Wake up and booze up all you want w/o any problem of any kinda laws! Cheers :o

I was disappointed to note that the wine shop next to the supermarket in Siam Paragon is now adhering to the licencing laws, (viz not selling after 2.00pm and before 5.00 pm), although it appeared to do this with impunity for a number of years. I was never sure why it was able to do so, but I guess someone ratted on them, or the kickback rates became too high.

I wonder if there will be any reversion to the system before that introduced under the Thaksin government, that enabled purchases at any time. Wishful thinking?

Can not be years - Paragon has not been open 2 yet has it :o Sorry could not resist.

It does seem crazy not to sell it in a shop like this though - I mean Thai kids and alkies who they are trying to keep away from booze hardly buy wine.

Guess you just have to buy it by the case at that time!

I bought some very nice Mearsaut in Belgium last week for 17 Euro each - just saw it in Cold Storage in Singapore for 95 SGD tonight so i am happy!

The difficulty with this particularly silly law is that not all of us want to be law breakers and not all corner shops break the law. There are several around where I live that no longer sell during those hours--why I don't know.

The point is (and I have no problem complying with the law), that I have been standing in a long line at the grocery store with a friend who was buying beer; by the time we got to the check-out counter, it was after the time and he was refused.

Since they have laws about the age that people can buy alcohol, that should be sufficient. These times amount to an inconvenient overkill and lead to confusion. For example, one restaurant we sometimes stop at after work (4:00 ish) won't serve alcohol. The next one over does. Is somebody breaking the law?

This is all confusing and is especially disheartening when I see the policemen sitting on the street drinking their hearts out during those times (and then driving away on their motorcycles). They could be a little more discreet!

Getting a few tinnies of beer to drink at home or whatever is never a problem. (Same as lao khao) :D . What ticks me off is driving a long way to get to a Foodland / Tescos or whatever, ostensibly to stock up on Western food c/w wine and being refused. Like I'm going to take off my shirt and start swigging a bottle of good Merlot on the steps abusing other shoppers outside..? :o

If even a fewer people are drinking or worse drinking AND driving between 2pm and 5pm (around the time when most kids are coming home from school), it's a good law. Those who don't mind buying wholesale quantities and those who have the ability to plan ahead a few hours and buy before or after those times are clearly not the target of the law and won't be inconvenienced.

:o

If even a fewer people are drinking or worse drinking AND driving between 2pm and 5pm (around the time when most kids are coming home from school), it's a good law. Those who don't mind buying wholesale quantities and those who have the ability to plan ahead a few hours and buy before or after those times are clearly not the target of the law and won't be inconvenienced.

:D

:o:D

That would rule out most locals!

Cant understand why you are upset. The only place that I know stops selling alcohol is 7-11. Just go to a small Thai corner shop at anytime and you will get what you want. Always have, always will. :o

They don't always have the best selection of wine or alcohol. For the latter they very often don't stock vodka, and certainly not Absolut. I presume the wine retailers are p-o'd, as it must have an impact on their business. And yes, I do try and plan ahead, but sometimes you run out and going to the shop at 5.00pm for a bottle of vodka takes about 1 hour, with traffic.

Went in to buy my usual two Spy bottles on sale at Tesco yesterday around 2:15 p.m., and was worried when the clerk came up to me as I took them out of the cooler. He saw my hands were full and carried them for me, checked me out, gave me the sales price, and said thanks and goodby. I'm a very light drinker, but haven't been refused a purchase in over four years.

I think that some of the big stores are getting around the law by post-timing the receipts to read sales at the legal times.

Yes, it is probably one of the stupidist laws that they have dreamed up, when the real dangerous drinkers can get their booze 7/24 at any corner shop on the road [out in the boonies]. You can stop for a shot at about 20 shops within a kilometer of our house any time of the day and they don't check for age.

Was in a Tesco last month. Paid for my groceries at 1.48pm according to the register receipt, walked the 10 meters over to the liquor shop where the clock outside above the entrance read 1.50pm. Went straight to the shelf and picked up a bottle of whisky but before l could even place it on the counter was told they couldn't sell it to me. :D

Called for the supervisor who was there in 2 minutes but even with pointing out that their very own clock said it was still at least 5 minutes before 2 o'clock l still wasn't allowed to buy it even without another customer in the department. She told me the register locks automatically 10 minutes before 2pm so they can't accidentally sell when they're not allowed to. Unbelievable :o

Went in to buy my usual two Spy bottles on sale at Tesco yesterday around 2:15 p.m., and was worried when the clerk came up to me as I took them out of the cooler. He saw my hands were full and carried them for me, checked me out, gave me the sales price, and said thanks and goodby. I'm a very light drinker, but haven't been refused a purchase in over four years.

Your local Tesco must be doing something to adjust the till!

Today I bought my usual Leo beer at Korat Tesco at 1.55pm, no problem, but previously I have been refused at 2.05pm. They cannot process the transaction as the scanner will not record the purchase.