Non-b & Residence

Hi, I am new here so maybe somebody can give advice on the following scenario:

Thai company employs me as a consultant, I get workpermit and non-imm. B visa.

Company gets a contract in Malaysia and assigns me there. Company pays monthly my salary in my thai bank accountant. Initially I have to go only one's a month to Malaysia for a couple of days, but after a couple of months I stay in Malaysia for a longer period, six months for example. All the time my salary gets paid in Thailand and being employed by a thai company I will pay income tax.

Is it possible in this case to extend yearly the non-B and after three years apply for permanent residency?

:o

Anything is possible. But I would consider success of this as unlikely in the short term. In first place almost no applications are approved with only 3 years - think at least 5. Your place/contribution in Thai society is an important consideration and being outside the country most of the time is unlikely to be a positive. Paying Thai tax will be a positive and being fluent in Thai would also help.

Thanks Lopburi, I agree with you regarding the residency.

Actually I’m working for a company in the Middle-East and after 13 years

the camels don’t look so beautiful anymore so I was planning to work free-lance out of Thailand. Since I am neither married nor of retirement age I could regulate my stay in Thailand either by doing visa runs if idle time in between jobs requires this, invest 3 mil in a condo/bonds, or start a company with me as it’s sole director/employee (excluding the 4 window dressing thai). When working abroad or in Thailand the client pays my salary in the company account out of which I take the minimum (xxK baht depending upon my nationality) required as an employee of the company.

The way I see it a multiple non-imm. B visa would be no hassle in this case and would give me the freedom to come and go as I please.

Maybe the company could put other expats working freelance on the pay roll as well as long as long as they are willing to pay the cost for an additional 4 thai and accept the fact that their income would then be taxable.

Wonder if I would be bending the rules here and there.