Houses In Thong Lo And Ekamai

For a long time, I've been planning on making a permanent return to Bangkok and somehow also thought I'd live in the Ekamai area (and now that Thong Lo looks attractive, that would be a good substitute).

One thing I've noticed is the houses in this area are very highly priced... a lot more per sqm than most other areas. Are people actually selling at the prices advertised? What is the price growth like in this area?

I'd be particularly interested to hear from people who currently own or have owned a house around the Sukhumvit area, but general thoughts and comments would also be more than welcomed.

Land values have risen dramatically in the areas you mentioned and in fact they continue to rise. This has partly been fueled by demand from developers seeking sites to erect condominiums which sell well here due to these being known as 'good addresses' in Bangkok (i.e. high net worth residential areas).

Hence why the land owners have been able to sell at much higher prices, because developers are still able to make a healthy profit on a high rise condo here.

This means that many (if not most) developers have an active acquisition program for regular shaped plots in these addresses, 1 rai+. These sites are hard to come by and once they do become available demand is intense.

So if you are looking to buy a house, I suggest looking for smaller sites which make mid-high-rises unfeasible, well, unless of course you fancy your chances in a bidding war.