Show Me Your Watch!

thaigerd

I have had my Longine for 7 or 8 years now A$550, all Ok until I moved to Thailand (2004) I have had to replace most of the insides due to Moisture from the heat here. I took it off and bought a 100bht watch , when it stops working I will chuck it away and buy another 100 bht watch. Longine was supposed to be water resistant. I don't think so. The Longine I don't wear anymore. Why do people want an expensive watch & if you do people will think it's a fake anyway.
i wear a genuine one and i tell people its fake, less chance of getting it nicked ! :o

• Replies 153
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I like mechanical (automatic) watches and got a Seico 5. It's fast, maybe 40 seconds a day but should last for may years to come. What would be your price point? I heard, original Rolexes are cheapest in Singapore. And a man has not few options to wear je (...) If you can afford one, get a good Swiss brand watch. One problem is that the minute you walk out of the shop it will be worth a lot less. ** Some buy watches from jewellers on eBay.

Personally, I would NOT bother shopping for a used watch. Not sure if the photo of the "Omega De Ville" I bought could be uploaded.

There is nowhere that is cheaper for rolexs, they have the same retail price ,you may get some tax releif or find a non selling/slow seller somewhere, but if you see any sports rolex under retail anywhere let me know, ill buy them all especially a daytona, they list at 3700 gbp, make 5k anywhere,.

Be careful when shopping for a Rolex. I had it directly from a beach road watch vendor that the Thailand made Rolex is no good, BUT the Taiwan Rolex is VERY good. The Taiwan made Rolex will last more than two years.
You can now get a working chrono daytona, eta (swiss movt ) for 25.000 baht, it is the same as an original and keeps superb time, yes i do have one,.but as you say these are not readily available, you will be told otherwise but it wont be true, these are special order off the right guy, .,.

I have had my Longine for 7 or 8 years now A$550, all Ok until I moved to Thailand (2004) I have had to replace most of the insides due to Moisture from the heat here.

I am a bit of a watch collector and i have 3 Longines. With a genuine Longines that won't happen, unless you have had the battery replaced by someone who hasn't put the seal back correctly. Always, always, use an approved shop when having anything done on an expensive watch.

My favorite watch is my Bulgari Scuba GMT.

The thing stopped working 1 month after the warrantee expired. Had to be sent to Geneva to be fixed, repair cost was 15,000bht.

Could have bought a lot of Seiko's for the cost of getting the Bulgari repaired, but what the heck, if you have to look at something 100 times a day it better be nice to look at :o

Dude I enjoy your posts, but take a chill pill, wow you are really getting out there. :o

Thank you, got something even better, and thanks again. :D

On topic, thinking about updating my old G-Shock with a G-Shock Atomic Tough Solar (you can search on Amazon with those keywords to bring up several) for sports and recreational use... an interesting twist on the "automatic" charm but for digital watches, with a solar powered rechargeable battery that you supposedly don't have to ever replace. Having that atomic time update is convenient for when I'm stateside. Priced for all budgets as well as I don't think they even make one that is over $300.

Tech been around several years already and have yet to see any complaints about the technology in any of the forums.

:D

It might be worth your while checking that the 'Atomic' bit works in Thailand. The signals in Asia are transmitted from JJY in Japan and may not reach Thailand.

Dude I enjoy your posts, but take a chill pill, wow you are really getting out there. :o

On topic, thinking about updating my old G-Shock with a G-Shock Atomic Tough Solar (you can search on Amazon with those keywords to bring up several) for sports and recreational use... an interesting twist on the "automatic" charm but for digital watches, with a solar powered rechargeable battery that you supposedly don't have to ever replace. Having that atomic time update is convenient for when I'm stateside. Priced for all budgets as well as I don't think they even make one that is over $300.

Tech been around several years already and have yet to see any complaints about the technology in any of the forums.

It might be worth your while checking that the 'Atomic' bit works in Thailand. The signals in Asia are transmitted from JJY in Japan and may not reach Thailand.

I imagine that they don't, that's why I mentioned that it would be convenient while stateside. Would be cool though. Will ask around.

I imagine that they don't, that's why I mentioned that it would be convenient while stateside. Would be cool though. Will ask around.

I've got an Atomic Tough Solar - cost me £30 and it's excellent. I use it to make sure the BBC 'pips' are correct :D

Out of curiosity I had a count up in our office today - 31 genuine Rolex watches - almost the O&G standard.

Gee, you have a very special office staff.....

I still have a Casio watch for the emergency situation when I have to keep my real watch, a nice Moto Razor off..

I also read abot a survey made in Japan where they were asking what brand of whatch the people were wearing: lot's of people after thinking said DoCoMo :o

My favorite watch is my Bulgari Scuba GMT.

The thing stopped working 1 month after the warrantee expired. Had to be sent to Geneva to be fixed, repair cost was 15,000bht.

Could have bought a lot of Seiko's for the cost of getting the Bulgari repaired, but what the heck, if you have to look at something 100 times a day it better be nice to look at :o

I quite like the Bulgari watches as well. I have a Bulgari Diagano that I wear just about everyday, hasn't failed on me yet.

I wear a Cartier Tank watch when I wear suits (the profile of the watch slips nicely under the cuff).

I have an Omega Seamaster as well, but since I bought the Bulgari, I don't use it that much. No problems with it, I just found it a bit bulky (I tend not to remove my watches when fixing my cars).

Consider your budget, then you can narrow down your options. As I see it, a nice timepiece is essential for a Gentleman.

Or you can go buy a bunch of fakes and wear each one for awhile and see what you like best, then buy the real deal.

Having owned all sorts of watches over the years I've found that strictly for durability, keeping accurate time, and being comfortable on the wrist, for me nothing beats the Timex Ironman. Obviously it's not designed for impressing folks with my lofty social status and abundance of "f-you" money, but I no longer need to impress anyone and can't be bothered wearing a watch every day that I've got to worry about damaging or having my hand chopped off over.

That said, for special occasions I do keep a Cartier Panthere in the safe, just in case I'm invited to one of Heng's cocktail parties.

:o

The Ironman is the Timex answer to the Casio G-Shock, approximately.

Thanks for the info on the new G-Shock, my last watch (Ironman) crapped out on me a couple of months ago and I have been using my cell phone or pager. I like the "atomic" function, great idea about the solar too.

:o

Be careful when shopping for a Rolex. I had it directly from a beach road watch vendor that the Thailand made Rolex is no good, BUT the Taiwan Rolex is VERY good. The Taiwan made Rolex will last more than two years.
You can now get a working chrono daytona, eta (swiss movt ) for 25.000 baht, it is the same as an original and keeps superb time, yes i do have one,.but as you say these are not readily available, you will be told otherwise but it wont be true, these are special order off the right guy, .,.

They are around 10,000THB with Swiss movement.

Do a search on Thaisecondhand or Tarad and you'll find them there.

Watch shops in MBK also have them but not all the time.

Its a minefield buying copies,the eta 7750 movement in my daytona costs 12000 just for the movt, i supply a guy in italy with them ,.i have seen copies of eta s !,.i have my guy come from taiwan,. i spent 7 years in mbk and they are all a bunch of liars especially pitchai on the ground floor,now i buy off his top supplier direct,.i was spending about a million baht a month at that one shop and one day i saw him sell one to a thai for less than he was charging me, talk about stupid,. so i went direct, i used to sell a load to a guy in the uk, till i got a pull at customs when i had 64 watches, lost the lot 14000 quid !,.i jacked it in then,.! Edited by mikethevigoman

I swear by my 'Hopalong Cassidy' watch my father bought me in the early 60's Certainly turns a few heads. I recently lost my Seiko Diver's Automatic watch, when ironically I hit a large puddle driving home on my motor cycle, pissed in the early hours. B*gger..........

post-17919-1191825906.jpg

I used to own a really nice G-Shock, went diving, army operations, Kosovo, parachuting etc. When the battery was changed the a@@hole didn't fix the seals properly and when I went diving again... <FFZZZT>:o

I wear a crappy 20 dollar lorus watch now:(((

I used to own a really nice G-Shock, went diving, army operations, Kosovo, parachuting etc. When the battery was changed the a@@hole didn't fix the seals properly and when I went diving again... <FFZZZT>:o

I wear a crappy 20 dollar lorus watch now:(((

That's a great point and i think another poster mentioned it earlier, if you ever have the back of the watch removed, make sure the seals and back are re-fitted correctly.

Sorry to hear about that.

Early 1950's Omega Seamaster, passed on from my Grandfather, good working order still.

Tissot watch that I bought in Geneva maybe 7 years ago, now gets condensation inside after a battery change.

Omega Speedmaster Reduced, second hand in Tokyo, about 18000 Baht, condition when bought as new. original reciepts box etc.

here in T. check out Seiko!

The Kinetic has been mentioned already - great watches!

Bought a Seiko Sportura for 6000+ ThB Sapphire Glass, Stainless steel Casing + Strap, safety lock, stop & timing function, date...worry free and takes it all, water, dish washing detergent, soap, shower swimming.... just love it!

For show off I have my Grandfathers golden Watch - got to be at least a Century old, still as New! This one steals ANY others watches show!

Early 1950's Omega Seamaster, passed on from my Grandfather, good working order still.

Tissot watch that I bought in Geneva maybe 7 years ago, now gets condensation inside after a battery change.

Omega Speedmaster Reduced, second hand in Tokyo, about 18000 Baht, condition when bought as new. original reciepts box etc.

I heard a rumour that you once found a ladies Rolex watch on the street in Tokyo.

zenith el primero rainbow flyback - nice watch. i was eyeing it recently on timezone.

panerai can be quite handsome but overpriced imo.

never took a liking to brietling. maybe its the french thing also ...pilots watches other than the military style (ie iwc pilots) dont do a thing for me.

someone should start a new thread - swiss automatic watches. they are the only ones that really count, perhaps the grand seiko as well.

:o i wear an IWC Pilot's Mark XVI, i know what you mean.

Get yourself a Casio G-Shock. They're good enough to be certified by NASA for spaceflights so they should last a while down here :o

G-shock (real one), the fakes are just crap, had a couple for work only last a week or so, crap!

Breitling for everyday life of course....top quality.

Watches for many on these boards are just silly little adornments that have a minimal function in telling time but far more closely function as a symbol of marking oneself as a member of the Leisure class, sort of like those silly neckties that certain people wear, and the primary purpose is to demonstrate that the wearer does not engage in physical labor. The continued allure of fancy watches in a time when cheap quartz watches are more accurate, also demonstrates that Thorstein Veblen remains the greatest American economist of all time. :o

Nothing like a watch thread to bring out the Tesco Lotus clothing crowd.

Having never even thought of shopping for clothing in a Lotus, Tesco, Walmart, or Costco, perhaps you could elaborate on this concept so we can all enjoy the humor.

The humor is that the pretend minimalists (not saying you are one, you may be the real deal) tend to be critical of those living just beyond or well beyond their own means but don't look to see that they themselves are living beyond the means of many as well. An adornment or fancy adjective for one is not necessarily so for the other since all things are relative. There are probably more people in the world who believe that clothing from Tesco Lotus (or whatever hypermart happens to be serving the larger 'working'/'struggling' population segments in a lot of the world) is an 'adornment' and/or 'fancy' than people who believe the same about any particular brand or item. And among them, there is probably a small group with personal issues, ready to say "you're not just wearing that one size fits all Tesco t-shirt to cover your body, but clearly just marking yourself as a member of the non-homemade clothing class, sort of like those silly tube socks that certain people wear, and the primary purpose is to demonstrate that the wearer owns proper shoes. The continued allure of 'fancy' clothing in a time when cheaper products that can be homespun are better fitting, don't make use of child labor, etc. also demonstrates that Thorstein Heng remains the greatest American economist of all time.

One sees it all the time from these types, especially on web forums. There are all kinds of "reasons" not to own instead of rent a home, to own a larger home instead of a smaller one, to wear a 'nice' watch, to drive a 'nice' car, etc. UNTIL said person is doing exactly that... and then they get all quiet. It's almost like watching an infant trying to learn to self soothe. It's kind of amusing and slightly pitiful (but cute) at the same time.

heng this was a sick post. nice job.