Thai Customer Service

womble

Just went to pick up my toyota from Toyota garage, the car was in having a service and also fixing some scratches. When I inspected the car I notice the sratches i asked to be fixed have been fixed but now there are more scratches on both sides!!!

When pointed out to the customer service rep he said the car was dirty and hid these scratches. Absolutley impossible as one new scratch was so deep nothing could possibly hide it, plus we went all around the car looking at the scraches and deciding which ones to fix.

Anyway this guy was unshakable, they wouldn't admit responsibility........

On top of that he has presented me with a bill much higher than the agreed on price that I paid a deposit on, he says it took more work than expected. I tell him i'm not paying and expect all the new scratches to be fixed free of charge.

He completely refuses, what can I do. I agree to pay the amount shown on the 1st bill and want to take the car, but he won't let me as he says I have to pay the new higher price (which included extra scratches).

I refuse to pay and so now I have had to leave the car there...........

What do I do now? I'm going to call head office in bangkok in a minute, does anyone have an advice and does anyone know who I should speak to that has some authority?

cheers.

• Replies 61
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

If they refuse to give you the keys, unless it is in fine print that they can hold your car until the bill is paid, on the reverse of the work order you may have signed, you are within your rights to demand the car back.

If they don't hand it over, involve the police.

Payment of the bill is a completely seperate issue.

Soundman.

I think most people realise where they are residing.

Yeah, unfortunately some don't realise that doing things here isn't the same as doing them at home.

What do I do now? I'm going to call head office in bangkok in a minute, does anyone have an advice and does anyone know who I should speak to that has some authority?

Probably the best thing to do, people aren't gonna be happy about having to take any kinda responsibility and there's probably gonna be serious loss of face, which might get in the way of anybody taking any type of responsibility/authority on the matter and pass it off anyway they can to get you to stop talking to them, without actually taking responsibility for it.

Probably not much you can do if that's the case.

Edited by thomo

Usually when a garage takes in a car for repair, they check the car and note on a paper what they find. Ask the garage people where this paper is and where they noted these controversial scratches. If they are not on this report, they are new.

The higher price for the original repair in another issue. If it's justified, not much you can do, unless they did something you did not ask to do in the first place.

Remember to remain calm, don't rise your voice, don't be angry, "jay yen yen" at all times. That will help most.

Just went to pick up my toyota from Toyota garage, the car was in having a service and also fixing some scratches. When I inspected the car I notice the sratches i asked to be fixed have been fixed but now there are more scratches on both sides!!!

When pointed out to the customer service rep he said the car was dirty and hid these scratches. Absolutley impossible as one new scratch was so deep nothing could possibly hide it, plus we went all around the car looking at the scraches and deciding which ones to fix.

Anyway this guy was unshakable, they wouldn't admit responsibility........

On top of that he has presented me with a bill much higher than the agreed on price that I paid a deposit on, he says it took more work than expected. I tell him i'm not paying and expect all the new scratches to be fixed free of charge.

He completely refuses, what can I do. I agree to pay the amount shown on the 1st bill and want to take the car, but he won't let me as he says I have to pay the new higher price (which included extra scratches).

I refuse to pay and so now I have had to leave the car there...........

cheers.

Do you have a wife or girlfriend here? If not a decent friend. Give them a thousand baht to slide to the cops to help activate them in your task. Where are they keeping the car & do you have a spare key?

pay the bill and forget about it. You will never win in this country unless you can accept some financial losses here and there. Thailand is not set up for farang to win, never has been never will be. If you were with say, your wife or girlfriend (thai woman from good family) and she started and finished the transaction with you while you were just standing by, then you could win.

I think it is the Japanese we should be bashing this time.

Japanese?

Why? For setting the standard?

World's greatest customer service you get is in Japan.

If the OP is talking about Toyota, it is Japanese service then, not Thai service.

Toyota cars like the Soluna Vios and the Corolla Altis are manufactured in Thailand and sold here by companies owned and operated by Thais.

That being said, I am a Toyota owner and have not had any problems of the type the OP describes although the car has been in for repairs and service 5 times already.

If true as reported, it sounds like that particular workshop is being dishonest. Not much to do with Thailand, and even less with Japan.

I would ask an educated Thai friend for help, someone who is polite and knows their way around the block. Typically a garage would be much less likely to push them around if they really are trying it on. And when escalating it higher up in the company or going to the police, more likely to be taken seriously.

Japanese?

If the OP is talking about Toyota, it is Japanese service then, not Thai service.

Toyota is my bread and butter, my No. 1 customer.

With no irony, no kidding, honestly, I am feeling deeply disturbed and humiliated that one of many Thai services branches is doing something like this.

The OP should file a complaint.

Toyota takes the the complaints very seriously. Very, very seriously. Heads might be rolling, as far as I know them.

(I am in IT, no influence into their field services)

Edited by think_too_mut

Womble,

Just out of interest, what was the quoted price, and what did they try to charge?

Did you get any action out of head office?

In the end you may need to pay the bill, to get your vehicle back.

Document everything, and lodge a written complaint with head office.

Go right to the top of Toyota in Thailand, and beyond if you have to.

Toyota Corporate take customer service very seriously.

Point out that this one incident may influence your future vehicle servicing location, and the brand of car you buy next.

TiT, you're a Farang. If you don't like it move to another country.

That is an utterly unhelpful comment and frankly makes you come across as a complete idiot.

Sorry Sav, I fail to see the helpfulness of this comment/post.

I don't know about Toyota, I've not had any dealings with them yet, but I've had some of the worst and some of the best customer service I've ever had here in Thailand. for example, I know ISUZU can't do enough for me, Sintanee Shops are pretty good and TT&T Maxnet always, always ring me back and seem to solve the problem. Amazing Thailand, Land of extremes, Good customer service does exist here ;-)

Some company's here do realise that they could lose a potential future sale to the oposition.

Try to speak to the manager of Head office.

Touching up a few scratches will cost Toyota next to nothing as they are geared up for it.

There's always a lot of bullshit talked about loosing face; granted, I wouldn't want a Policeman, or Immigration officer to lose face because of me, but a clerk at toyota, nah , don't worry about it. Any Thai with sense would and will complain also, they don't all just roll over or leave with there tails between there legs to save face; I know Thai's who would go ballistic if someone scratched there Fortuners ;-)

There's always a lot of bullshit talked about loosing face; granted, I wouldn't want a Policeman, or Immigration officer to lose face because of me, but a clerk at toyota, nah , don't worry about it.

That is the problem. Toyota might not know about arbitrary approach to service in that particular outlet.

The egg is on the face of hundreds of Toyota managers based in Thailand.

As I said, file a complaint.

Japanese?

Toyota cars like the Soluna Vios and the Corolla Altis are manufactured in Thailand and sold here by companies owned and operated by Thais.

That being said, I am a Toyota owner and have not had any problems of the type the OP describes although the car has been in for repairs and service 5 times already.

If true as reported, it sounds like that particular workshop is being dishonest. Not much to do with Thailand, and even less with Japan.

I would ask an educated Thai friend for help, someone who is polite and knows their way around the block. Typically a garage would be much less likely to push them around if they really are trying it on. And when escalating it higher up in the company or going to the police, more likely to be taken seriously.

If a person had a good experience with Toyota, does the merit go to the thais then? Surely not. People are going to say "oh those bloody japanese goods never let you down!". It is the management that counts. If they hire people that gave them bad reputation, the management have themselves to blame.

The fact that the OP has to use this independent incident to bash thai service makes me wonder how unbiased his words are with what really had happened.

And I can't believe how stupid peoples' comments are to say farangs can never win here using this incident as an example. Just make an official complaint and see what happens!

TiT, you're a Farang. If you don't like it move to another country.

That is an utterly unhelpful comment and frankly makes you come across as a complete idiot.

Sorry Sav, I fail to see the helpfulness of this comment/post.

Savage is right, you are wrong. 4 people have said the same thing... getting the hint?

Damian Mavis

I had reason to complain to Toyota head office in Bangkok. Not about the product, but about the salesman that I bought the car from.

I complained first,to the salesmans manager and when I realised I was getting nowhere with him (all smiles and promises but bugger all action) I went to head office.

They acted very quickly and sorted out the problem. They also rang us afterwards to make sure we were happy.

The salesman got the sack, and the manager got a big bo**ocking, now he can't do enough for me. Yes, I still go to the same garage, better the devil you know.

I hope you are not judging customer service in Thailand by this one incident. My experiences with customer service in LOS have generally been positive and certainly better than USA, where customer service is REALLY non-existant.

I took my motorbike to the shop because it needed a new back spring and the front one needed fixing. anyway, to cut a long story short, I got a new back spring that was so bad that I had to put the old one back in, and the front one is a lot worse thatn it was before. The shop owner didn't seem too happy when I complained and apart from putting the old spring back he refused to do something aboout the front one and I was told to leave his shop. 2000 Baht down the drain...

My sister came here on vacation. She lives in Switzerland. She was so appaled and shocked by the service everywhere in restaurants in Thailand that she vowed never to return to los. I don't blame her.

With some rare excptions, in Thailand sevice is down right terrible.

I don't think every place has such bad service .

Some do , some don't .

There are many places around where I stay , who offer me a cup of coffee and snacks while waiting

for repair or something , very polite .

Some places are indeed ignorant and rude , especially while visiting Bangkok ( different world ).

Also many places are just so cheap , just charging a little , and where the employees

make very little money , I am not counting on any service , but many times they do give.

Its not the West where everything is overcharged and where you should expect something back .

I do not understand what the complaining is about .

Perhaps if I stay further South , I will get a much different perspective .