Asian Farang

ZOVOX

Boris,

I see, you do not really know anything about it. But I am not surprised to hear that.

What means 'Asian Farang' and what means 'Caucasian' ; these are complicated questions.

However, to talk about different races and how they are accepted in Thailand by the local Thais is interesting and fitting this topic, which is called Asian Farang....

Thank for your co-operation.

Someone asked earlier (can't be bothered to look back to see who - sorry) if a person born in LOS is a Thai citizen. The answer is...er...possibly.

This may well be out of date, but...

I believe the father has to be Thai for the child to automatically be Thai. However, if either parent is Thai then the child can be registered as Thai (in LOS or abroad).

If both parent are non-nationals (nor nationised), then the child is not Thai in the eyes of the Tha government.

Farang=white. Pure and simple (I don't mean white people are 'pure' and 'simple', I mean the definition is not mistaken :D ).

Asian Farang, as the author of this thread said, was a tongue-in-cheek way to get his question/point across. I think it work weel, as we pretty all got what he meant.

I have heard black people being reffered to as "Khon Africa", "Khon Piw Dum" and even "Khon See Dum" (never heard Niigro, but I suppose its likely). So I concur with above. :D

A lot of non-Thai Oriental Asians are simply called Khon Cheen (Chinese) if their origin is unknown - Japanese are usually easy to spot (the rich Oriental Asian with the suitcase size SLR hanging rounf their necks - photographing everyting) - they are reffered to as Khon Yeepon (Japanese).

I have a Thai friend that was born in LOS and has Thai parents (one is Thai-Chinese the other Thai-Vietnamese by descent). He was brought to the UK when he was 5 not speaking any English. 30 years later, he speaks good Thai (not fluent), but with an English accent - his tones are dreadful and you have to guess what he is saying by context. When he goes to LOS, he gets the same treatment as falangs (even down to double charging and being ripped off by the odd BG - suddenly falling pregnant, must be his). He is Thai - with farang thinking (someone said above) - and though most Thais would say he was Thai, most consider him a Farang in all but colour. :o