Recomendations Traveling With A Child

EricZ

We would like to visit a not to touristy location and stay for a month or two. Its just me and my 8 year old daughter so I have to make sure she is safe and accomidated. Im thinking of a town in the north east part of the country. Any suggestions?

We would like to visit a not to touristy location and stay for a month or two. Its just me and my 8 year old daughter so I have to make sure she is safe and accomidated. Im thinking of a town in the north east part of the country. Any suggestions?

Try Khon Kaen or Oudon Thani.

Fairly rural but with some supermarkets for your daily needs.

cheers

onzestan

We would like to visit a not to touristy location and stay for a month or two.

Really depends on what you mean when you say 'not to touristy'...

maybe if you expand on what you are looking for TV members will be able to offer more help...

What would you like to do during the trip??? (beach??? Trek??? Watch TV???)

Do you speak any Thai??? Is not being able to talk to almost anyone going to be a problem (big problem outside of 'touristy' places)...

How much $$$ do you think you can afford/want to spend???

How much experience do you have with Thailand???

e.g Chiang Mai is much less touristy than say Patong Beach (Phuket) but still a big part of the region is based on tourism... If you want less touristy than Patong there are other beach areas on Phuket, or maybe Krabi... but they are still touristy...

In rural/regional Thailand (like Udon or KK suggested above) most of the tourism is still targeted at Thai's, so English speakers are much less common, and two months is going to have you visiting the same Wats many times...

Cheers,

Daewoo

the north-east is kinda hot and dusty and not much to see

the north is a nicer place to visit- nice small cities are chaing mai and smaller is chaing rai

mae hon song is kinda quiet and nice to hide out in -

pai is good - and can quite touristy at winter time, but it still holds its charm

all these places have tourists, but not like you will see in BKK, phuket etc.....

You have already asked this question here: http://www.thaivisa.com/forum/index.php?sh...p;#entry1569168

One has to wonder what sort of education your daughter is getting as you" travel to many places, usually staying for 3 months or more."

We would like to visit a not to touristy location and stay for a month or two.

Really depends on what you mean when you say 'not to touristy'...

maybe if you expand on what you are looking for TV members will be able to offer more help...

What would you like to do during the trip??? (beach??? Trek??? Watch TV???)

Do you speak any Thai??? Is not being able to talk to almost anyone going to be a problem (big problem outside of 'touristy' places)...

How much $$$ do you think you can afford/want to spend???

How much experience do you have with Thailand???

e.g Chiang Mai is much less touristy than say Patong Beach (Phuket) but still a big part of the region is based on tourism... If you want less touristy than Patong there are other beach areas on Phuket, or maybe Krabi... but they are still touristy...

In rural/regional Thailand (like Udon or KK suggested above) most of the tourism is still targeted at Thai's, so English speakers are much less common, and two months is going to have you visiting the same Wats many times...

Cheers,

Daewoo

Thank you for your response. My daughter and I travel quite a bit. It used to be cruising on a sailboat. Lately its been home exchanges where we can stay in a country for 3-5 months have a "home life" for my kid, and become part of the community, meeting people, doing local interests. Im not interested, particularly, in sights and attractions. Sort of been there done that attitude. We live near a beach in San Diego so the coast holds no particular interest as a choice when we go visit other places. I would like an experience where I can interact with local people as "normally" as a foreigner can and where my daughter can experiences other ways of living and seeing the world. I cant rough it as I might like and used to because I have to create a harmonious and safe envioroment for her. I visited Thailand a long time ago but not the north and I speak no Thai. So in short Im looking for a place where we can fit in, learn some things interacting with local people and enjoy another way of living, albight for a short time.

Thanks for your help.

You have already asked this question here: http://www.thaivisa.com/forum/index.php?sh...p;#entry1569168

One has to wonder what sort of education your daughter is getting as you" travel to many places, usually staying for 3 months or more."

My daughter is home schooled. One suitcase is dedicated to just her school books no matter where we are.