Pickup Insurance Costs

KC99

Thai GF beging for money for pickup truck insurance, claiming she needs about five times what similar coverage would cost me in the US...

Can anyone advise a ballpark figure for collission and liability coverage for a fully loaded 2006 Ford Ranger pickup? Here are the details:

2006 Ford Ranger pickup, fully loaded

46 year old female driver with clean driving record

The only theft-deterrent device is a steering-wheel/gear-shift locking bar

Thanks in advance!

Thai GF beging for money for pickup truck insurance, claiming she needs about five times what similar coverage would cost me in the US...

Can anyone advise a ballpark figure for collission and liability coverage for a fully loaded 2006 Ford Ranger pickup? Here are the details:

Thanks in advance!

Can you go to the Thaivisa insurance site and complete the app form and they will send you a quote...

Thanks in advance!

Can you go to the Thaivisa insurance site and complete the app form and they will send you a quote...

Thanks to everyone for the ballpark figures...

Thai GF was trying to get 100,000 baht!

To say the least, she will not get one more cent from this farang. Her greed has finally gottten too much to bear.

I would have gladly paid her actual bill, but instead she tried to ream me a new one by asking for seven times what should give her coverage for the year.

I knew something was amiss when I said to just have the insurance company send mer the bill to pay directly to the company. All of a sudden it changed from "need money for insurance bill or I loose truck" to "must repay sister as she paid insurance for me or I loose house to sister who holds deed".

Many thanks to those here who have opened this farang's eyes to the scams too many Thai GFs use.

Edited by KC99

KC99,

I truly feel for you, it is never nice to find out that someone was trying to take you for a ride, (pun intended). As an aside, road tax on a pickup is less than 2,000 Baht too. Therefore, top price for fully comprehensive insurance (1st Class) and road tax should have been no more than 20,000 Baht.

You say, " Her greed has finally gottten too much to bear." Reading between the lines this is not the first time that she has tried to profit from your good nature. You are quite right to draw the line, "she will not get one more cent from this farang".

Thanks to everyone for the ballpark figures...

Thai GF was trying to get 100,000 baht!

To say the least, she will not get one more cent from this farang. Her greed has finally gottten too much to bear.

I would have gladly paid her actual bill, but instead she tried to ream me a new one by asking for seven times what should give her coverage for the year.

I knew something was amiss when I said to just have the insurance company send mer the bill to pay directly to the company. All of a sudden it changed from "need money for insurance bill or I loose truck" to "must repay sister as she paid insurance for me or I loose house to sister who holds deed".

Many thanks to those here who have opened this farang's eyes to the scams too many Thai GFs use.

I think you mean, "Thai ex-girlfriend".

KC99,

I truly feel for you, it is never nice to find out that someone was trying to take you for a ride, (pun intended). As an aside, road tax on a pickup is less than 2,000 Baht too.

Incorrect - If your pick-up has four doors (as more and more do nowadays) it's classed as a saloon. I know as I pay about 6500 Baht road tax for my 3 litre 4 door Nissan every year. And have done for 4 years now.

If you have a green number plate - your a taxed as a 2 door pick up (which will be under 2K per year) - Black number plate = Saloon or 4 door pick up and cost then depends upon engine size etc.

Road tax does not change in value annually (unless the government implement new sub classes)

• 5 months later...
  • 1 month later...

Next month my free year of Toyota insurance is up. The company has contacted me and quoted me a price of 16,300B which seems like it might be a bit high compared to what other friends are paying.

I've already submitted a quote using the ThaiVisa quote form but I thought posting might here yield some good advice as well.

So, I'm in the market for a first class insurance policy for my 2007 4-door 2.5L Hilux Vigo. I'm a 30 year old male driver with only one minor ding removed form a fender in one year in Thailand (vehicle was parked). I live in Nahon Sri Thammarat and and I have an excellent driving record form my home country (if that matters).

Any advice is helpful, but if anyone has a good company (or a good agent) they could recommend that would be great! Also, have you ever heard of quarterly payments, compared to one yearly lump sum, in LoS? I see many of you say monthly payments aren't an option but it doesn't hurt to ask, right?

Cheers folks!

PS -I searched... couldn't find any good hits.

The company has contacted me and quoted me a price of 16,300B which seems like it might be a bit high compared to what other friends are paying.

Seems a tad high to me too. I insured my 3L 4dr 4wd Isuzzu with Isuzzu a couple of weeks ago for just over Bt15,000. Suggest you get back to Toyota and see if they can do better - I have found ins. cos. here can be flexible if they feel they are going to lose business.

^ Well you have a point but I've found it difficult to get all the info straight. I spent 4 hours calling insurance companies yesterday and it was hard enough just to find people who spoke English!!

goingaroundagain, as you seem to know a bit about insurance, perhaps you could offer some tips for the rest of us?