Late January Housing On Koh Tao And Koh Phangan

I will be arriving in Koh Tao or Koh Phangan around January 18. I have been told that this is after the main holiday "crush" has passed, but I wanted to to find out from some experienced folks if that is actually the case. I am mostly interested in budget bungalows (< 800bht per night). Will I be able to step off boat and have some options without having to hike all over the islands?

*update* I just realized the Full Moon Party on Phangan will be on or around the 22nd. Will that make finding someplace to stay there on the 18th impossible?

Thanks!

-Aaron

Edited by aweiss2k

I will be arriving in Koh Tao or Koh Phangan around January 18. I have been told that this is after the main holiday "crush" has passed, but I wanted to to find out from some experienced folks if that is actually the case. I am mostly interested in budget bungalows (< 800bht per night). Will I be able to step off boat and have some options without having to hike all over the islands?

*update* I just realized the Full Moon Party on Phangan will be on or around the 22nd. Will that make finding someplace to stay there on the 18th impossible?

Thanks!

-Aaron

No it shouldn't be impossible to find somewhere cheap to stay at this time and there is always touts on the ferry whether you'll be arriving

from Samui or Chumphon but since it is high season and only a few days away from the FM party it would be worth the effort of doing a little research and prebooking as logically speaking most of the favourable places to stay WILL be full.

Maybe consider booking in advance ...

... I disagree with SBK :o ... January is still High Season and only 4 days in front of full moon ... so

"able to step off boat and have some options without having to hike all over the islands" ... is not that easy ...

www.phanganbungalows.com/statistics booking statistics, January is filling up too.

maybe have a look at these bungalows and resorts below 800 Baht per day on our www.phanganbungalows.com/search/for/bungalows/ :D

You can disagree, but I've been in the business for a long time. Many places do not use online booking. Many places do not take advance bookings. 4 days before the full moon the OP will have a chance to find a room, just not in Hadrin.

OP did not state he wanted to stay in Hadrin, which is the only place that fills up early. January is traditionally less busy than February. Or at least, that has been my experience for the past 18 years.

My frends and I were not planning to stay in Hadrin. Rather, we were looking at Thong Nai Pan or somewhere in the north west.

Actually, my friends are more interested in Koh Tao to start thr trip, so we will probably be there for a week first, and then head over to Phangan.

Thx for the feedback.

-Aaron

Edited by aweiss2k

You can disagree, but I've been in the business for a long time. Many places do not use online booking. Many places do not take advance bookings. 4 days before the full moon the OP will have a chance to find a room, just not in Hadrin.

OP did not state he wanted to stay in Hadrin, which is the only place that fills up early. January is traditionally less busy than February. Or at least, that has been my experience for the past 18 years.

Maybe too long ... and missed a bit the development ...

High Season is booked at least 60% online ... the vacant rest are mostly quite old crappy resorts nobody want to book in advance anyway ...

... at least this was my experience in the last 5 years I'm doing this business ... before there was no online booking for Phangan anyway ...

For Koh Tao maybe have a look at our new site.

www.kohtaoisland.net

Edited by PhanganIsland
no link drops to commercial sites please-sbk

Maybe too long ... and missed a bit the development ... just like the initial posting ...

... because he does not want to hike around the island ... so if he arrives in Haad Rin and not want to hike around ... it is pretty obvious that he want to stay near Haad Rin ... where it's really busy at the time.

Not sure where you got that idea since he just responded:

My friends and I were not planning to stay in Hadrin. Rather, we were looking at Thong Nai Pan or somewhere in the north west.

But up to you, we agree to disagree :o

I will second SBK's advice. TNP rarely fills up anymore even around the full moon. You will surely be able to get a clean well kept up room for a good price if you just head for the beaches. I prefer Yai over Noi.

The price range will be between 250 baht for off the beach with shower on up. I've stayed at bungalows all over the island and there are still very nice well kept bungalows for as little as 300 baht even lower in some cases. As for TNP on Yai you can get a Bungalow right off the beach for as little as 400 baht. The only place that you really need a reservation for is Dolphin which is by far the most charming place to stay. I would start at Dreamland and if they don't have anything that you like just head south down the beach. I know a lot of the staff there and they are a good bunch many of which are born and raised on the island. If you find your money getting low and you want to stay as cheap as possible try Paradise Garden, Bamboo Hut, AD View or Thai House. All but AD view are off the beach. AD view bungalow are old, but cheap and right on the beach.

I've only stayed on Noi a few times and often I just stay at my friends house. Star Hut is the most popular with the backpacker crowd and has always got a scene going on. You can start there and work your way north on the beach to find a place.