Motorcycle Jacking Today In Chiang Mai

MyPenRye

Rather sensational. I have lived on the canal road for 6 years and have never seen anything to my disliking. i think you're friend was unlucky, no need for everyone to hide. You could get muged anywhere, just about bad luck.
My GF has just alerted me that one of her Thai friends had to give up his motorcycle to 5 thieves.

He was asked to give them money as five Thai men brandished knives. He decided to tip the scooter towards the thieves to distract them and run for his life. He got away.

[...]

Anyway, this is sad!

Be careful, everyone!

I apologize if you felt that way!

However, if nothing happened to you for six years in that area (and I am happy that this is true), ... should we not report anything at all? Maybe I will PM you before I post any kind of news on TV. :o

But, maybe, you are right. Maybe I should not have reported this! Or maybe I should have just reported the facts, saving the pathos for this acquaintance and my GF only. Why should anyone care about one singular event where a motorcycle driver is robbed at knife point by a number of Thai men? Especially, if it did not happen to YOU!

However, assuming that this event was not made it up by me, by TV, by the guy who alleged the offense, by a computer glitch, maybe, perhaps, could it be that YOU might have been been lucky, maybe you have traits that make you an unlikely target, maybe this is a new phenomenon (or a freak accident), maybe this sort of crime has not been reported for all kinds of reasons, or... Did I, mmm,... miss anything? :D

Anyway, I feel it is not clear to me what you are objecting to? The language I used? That I reported this at all? Both? That I do not have a sexy avatar? :D

It is not clear whether or not you do travel at night? Whether or not you take small roads? Whether or not you actually do drive in and around that area ... or that you actually did not miss seeing these kinds of events happening in and around that area, whether or not passing in that area or not ? Nothing is sure, you know! :D

BTW, I do indicate that there might have been mitigating factors that made this event take place other than the place and time where and when this took place. Did you miss those? :bah:

While I (and TV members) appreciate that you took the time to give your point of view on the matter, I also think that most TV members do "appreciate" (reluctantly, of course) members reporting these sorts of events because they understand that these events are not likely to be reported in the local Thai news, ... assuming that they are faithfully watching or reading those in the local language, of course! :D

Anyway, I wish you a safe journey at all time and place!

Peace and safety to all!

Edited by MyPenRye

I apologize if you felt that way!

However, if nothing happened to you for six years in that area (and I am happy that this is true), ... should we not report anything at all? Maybe I will PM you before I post any kind of news on TV.

Why apologise He stated his experience, and you stated yours. each to their own. For what it's worth I have lived just off the canal road for the last fifteen years, and use it at all hours of the day and night. All I've run into is teenagers having a quick fumble on the back of a bike in the shadows, or the beckonings from many of the young ladies that frequent the copious houses of ill repute dotted along the roadside............. :o

quote] Unlike the enlightened west that has done so much to address the issue of illegal workers in places such as Southern California, Texas, and New Mexico. Australia has a world renowned attitude to illegal boat people, seconded only by that of the UK.

The US attitute is similiar to the Aussies and Brits as far as boats or ships are concerned. You gotta get your boots on dry land to be treated to all the social benefits. Once here you can recieve free medical, WIC program to families with young children, welfare, prefrential tuition to Universities, housing etc.

It matters not whether your eligible for some of these programs, the Catholic church will teach you how to game the system. No I'm not really knocking the church its catholics helping catholics

The US attitute is similiar to the Aussies and Brits as far as boats or ships are concerned. You gotta get your boots on dry land to be treated to all the social benefits. Once here you can recieve free medical, WIC program to families with young children, welfare, prefrential tuition to Universities, housing etc.

It matters not whether your eligible for some of these programs, the Catholic church will teach you how to game the system. No I'm not really knocking the church its catholics helping catholics

......and your point of all that relating to bike jacking was?????

Edited by Maejo Man

"You don't know the POWER of the Dark Side, Luke. I MUST OBEY my Master" - D. Vader, about his own personal struggle with yaabaa.

F*** me !!!! Darth Vader was a smack head? I never new that! And were the Jedi the chilled out grass smokers spreading love and peace in the universe? Seems i hadnt fully understood the social issues being portrayed in Star Wars. I mean...Joda? stoned on ganja?....well now you come to mention it.......... :o

Paagai, not to say you're going with the wrong people (one of my favorites is Tai Yai), but Chiang Mai Land at 3 AM might be wrong time, wrong place. One usual rule to avoid crime is to avoid the times and places where crime is most prevalent.

Don't worry, I always take the Santitham Platoon of the Shan State Army for protection :D Actually they are useless as Body guards (Sargent Bear Cub :o causes all the trouble anyway.......) but they do make good Body Warmers :D

Seriously, concur entirely with your comment; I do venture there occasionaly, when my lust for danger and debauchery gets uncontrollable :D and I've drunk enough "Krating Daeng" to stay awake, at 3.a.m but only in reliable company, and to more mellow venues. I too know people who've had some bad experiences down there.

At 3 a.m. you see two types of people: those getting seriously drunk and those who are still awake due to much stronger chemical assistance. I would guess use of the later substances, and the downward spiral of theiving and violence that stems from it is probably behind the incident reported by the OP and many similar events that happen in Chiang Mai on a daily basis. A sad fact of life worldwide.

This thread was about Thai on Thai violence, I'd agree with other posters that Chiang Mai is a relatively safe place for sensible Farangs, but Thais living in some areas are not so safe and much of what happens can be extremely violent and goes unreported, especially among socially excluded minorities. We whouldn't be in denial about this whilst living in Farang friendly neighbourhoods and trying to paint a whiter than white view of Chiang Mai with the usual "I've lived here xxx years and never seen....xxx" type comments.

It always amazes me that Thais treat Tai Yai as second (or even third) class citizens, abuse them and use them almost as slaves, deny them basic human rights and then wonder why they run around robbing and fighting! Then they don't have ID cards, and the BIB can't trace them so they get away free.
They are illegal immigrant workers so they are in the same position as any of the same type that cross the border into California, enter illegally into Europe, or any other country. They will be exploited and abused. The statement that the BIB can't trace then is wrong - the simple fact is that if they are caught without their ID card they will be arrested and put into lock up until their citizenship is established. If they are illegal immigrants they are handed over to the Immigration Police for extradition.

So CB is saying all Tai Yai people living in Thailand are "illegal immigrants" Wow, thats an extremely racist remark - I would have expected better from a mod. The reality is there is a whole gamet of stateless people living in Northern Thailand (not just Thai Yai but many other ethnic/tribes too). Whilst some may have just sneaked over from Myanmar last week, or whenever, many have been here for years speak Thai, maybe went to school, or were even born here. The majority aren't living illegally and have some form of ID, work permit (AKA licence for explotation) family here, etc, etc.

Moreover CB's comments about what happens when Shan meets BIB demonstrates a real naievity as to what happens on the streets of Chiang Mai every day. It may be idealistic to think the BIB runs around locking up and deporting all illegal Tai Yais they encounter, but the reality is different - Tai Yai are just another source of revenue and cheap labour, which would go away if they were all kicked out!

Of course, CB is right that illegal immigrants are treated badly the world over. My point was that Thailand has created a second class of Legal immigrants. An immigrant with a work permit in the UK for example would have a full set of rights and protection with appropriate checks and balances enshrined in law, and even illegals have some rights, including all basic human rights. Here, they have none of that! CB, what do you really think happens when a legal Tai Yai guy with proper ID or a work permit goes to the BIB to report his stolen wallet, phone, motorbike etc? Come on!

It always amazes me that Thais treat Tai Yai as second (or even third) class citizens, abuse them and use them almost as slaves, deny them basic human rights and then wonder why they run around robbing and fighting! Then they don't have ID cards, and the BIB can't trace them so they get away free.
They are illegal immigrant workers so they are in the same position as any of the same type that cross the border into California, enter illegally into Europe, or any other country. They will be exploited and abused. The statement that the BIB can't trace then is wrong - the simple fact is that if they are caught without their ID card they will be arrested and put into lock up until their citizenship is established. If they are illegal immigrants they are handed over to the Immigration Police for extradition.

So CB is saying all Tai Yai people living in Thailand are "illegal immigrants" Wow, thats an extremely racist remark - I would have expected better from a mod.

My comment that you partially quoted was "If they are illegal immigrants they are handed over to the Immigration Police for extradition."

The pertinent point being the "IF" - at no stage did I write or infer that all Thai Yai are illegal. Be very careful your comments are bordering on being a flame.

CB

In the last 2 weeks there have been 2 shooting incidents near my wifes shop .

I must say thay we stay at chang Klan road , near Chiangmai land .

Both after 3 am . I think that these karaoke bars are no good , because of these there are

a lot more problems then there usually is in Chiangmai .

Like some posters said , CM is still a pretty save place , but to say there is nothing going on is just naive .

In CM also there have been many kids gangs , like the samoerai (who were pretty scary).

Now its more the problem with all those karaoke bars and these girls working there ,

basically wearing no clothes , people got drunk , pay large overcharged sums of money ,

want to take the girl for such amount , get angry and shoot around like a maniac .

Nothing you here from these incidents , but people in the neighberhood are scared to death lately .

Whatever you experiences from the past , CM is rapidly changing , sadly so .

And my personal expat life in CM hast past eight years now , and I can say it is loosing its night charm .

But still not that bad that you got to watch out indefinitely , far from that , it is like I said changing ,

mostly from people coming in from other parts of the country .

Thursday at 1am around Chiang Mai gate a Thai friend of mine was knocked off his motorbike by a gang of 15-16 year olds with weapons. He was hit over the head and slashed..they took his cell phone and the little bit of money he had.

His motorbike needed some repairs and his head and the side of his face are still hurting..lots of blood from the head wound but he'll be fine.

He was just getting off work and going home. I'm not sure the exact location but it was near Chiang Mai Gate.

So CB is saying all Tai Yai people living in Thailand are "illegal immigrants" Wow, thats an extremely racist remark - I would have expected better from a mod.

My comment that you partially quoted was "If they are illegal immigrants they are handed over to the Immigration Police for extradition."

The pertinent point being the "IF" - at no stage did I write or infer that all Thai Yai are illegal. Be very careful your comments are bordering on being a flame.

CB

Sorry CB I'm not trying to flame anyone. The first sentence which I quoted correctly (and you can refer back to the original post #20 if you want to check) says unconditionally "They are illegal immigrant workers", that is what I was objecting to as it clearly infers all Thai Yai are illegal. You only used the word if later in the context of if they had no ID card, not in the context of whether they are Tai Yai!

If your loose use of language is not what you actually meant then I'm happy to accept that, but don't blame me for pointing out what you were implying.

If i was a mod i would tell you both to calm down and get back ON TOPIC. But I'm not so i won't..

Flames can only be put out by something cool, not by adding fuel.. :o

I believe there are some misunderstandings/misinterpretation in some statements here which is easy to happen in a forum where everything is 'time delayed'. However, stereotyping groups of people is something that am not happy to see and would appreciate it if that ceases. And the topic was? <hint>

I've been here 15 years and probably due to working most of the time and family man don't get into positions like some have. Also having traveled asia a bit, still find Thailand the most comfortable in terms of my own safety. I'm not naive though and do apply vigilance depending on when and where I am.

Can only recall one incident that happened with an ex-girl friend several years ago. As she was driving back to our condo on Suthep road late at night, she was confronted by two groups of males on motorbikes near the moat. She high tailed it back to the condo with them following here. She drove right up to the security desk in front of the condo and the two bikes stopped near by. The security guard pulled a half meter knife out from behind the desk and started walking toward them. They decided his knife was bigger then theirs and rabbited out of there. :D

Thailand has a high crime rate. These are figures from 1998 - 2000, but they make for interesting reading. I don't know how much southern violence or Thaksin's drug wars have inflated these figures even though the drugs wars happened after 2000 (cos they do include justifiable homicide), but I do know that gun crime is much higher here than in the UK.

Thailand has third highest firearms homicide rate in the world, beaten only by South Aftrica and Colombia!

Thailand is number 1 for % homicides commited by firearms

Thailand is number 4 in the overall homicide list

Wikipedia Gun Crime Data

However, I rarely feel threatened when out and about and wouldn't lose any sleep over it. I've seen conflicting data too, so I'm not sure on the accuracy here.

Edited by Lormaak

How about the Tuk Tuk drivers ganging up on unsuspecting Farang (alone) outside of that dump Spicy? :o

How about the Tai Yai guys who get attacked on a regular basis (usually alone) as they have no bank account and carry what little hard earned cash they have iwth them and of course the obligatory moblie. :D In these cases the BIB will not offer any assistance. When they're attacked they more than likely will come back with their crew after breing released from the hospital and it's on then, machetes a flying. As for them getting away free that's not always true, if you pay the BIB they can track them down but this costs extra (this service is not included in your municipal tax charge) :D

Good luck on your late night travels,

SDH.

surely its not so bad that we cannot even feel safe getting into a tuk tuk outside spicy or any bar/club in the tourist area.

so lone farang get attacked now by tuk tuk drivers! iv never even seen a miserable tuk tuk driver.maybe because im young pleasant and friendly to inhabitants of their own country,i have always felt safe,and never raised my voice or tryed to con a thai

i can imagine many people who are about to embark on their first visit to thailand alone,such threads(or certain statements) will no doubt scare them off.if c mai is bad,i hate to think what pattaya is like

Edited by Chiangmai Foxy

surely its not so bad that we cannot even feel safe getting into a tuk tuk outside spicy or any bar/club in the tourist area.

so lone farang get attacked now by tuk tuk drivers! iv never even seen a miserable tuk tuk driver.maybe because im young pleasant and friendly to inhabitants of their own country,i have always felt safe,and never raised my voice or tryed to con a thai

i can imagine many people who are about to embark on their first visit to thailand alone,such threads(or certain statements) will no doubt scare them off.if c mai is bad,i hate to think what pattaya is like

Then you should see this paragraph from "Asia Times" via a link posted on another thread: http://www.thaivisa.com/forum/index.php?s=...t&p=1611056

Violence and turf wars between rival gangs have been a social scourge in Chiang Mai for decades, running alongside a city plagued by prostitution, HIV/AIDS and drugs. Gang members are often both distributors and users. Both boys and girls, some barely in their teens, sell sexual services for as little as 300 baht (US$8.50) to buy drugs, alcohol and glue.

CM is still relatively safe in tourist areas, but you shouldn't compare it with Pattaya; Cm's proximity to Myanmar, Golden triangle (or rather its fabled produce) and any number of different ethnic hill tribe groups brings a whole different set of parameters and problems to the city. Though I'm not saying Pattaya is any better........

On the Tuk-Tuk topic, I witnessed an argument between two drivers not so long ago. It got heated and both got on their phones - within five minutes another TWENTY or more Tuk tuks arrived (no BS, I saw it happen). Impressive, but also scary......but at least some of the Tuk-Tuk mafia honchos calmed the situation before it came to violence and they all dispersed as quickly as they arrived.

My favorite Tai Yai was born in Mae Hong Son, finished Matayom 3, and has Thai citizenship and ID card. But he may be the exception, and surely Hill Tribes are considered by some Chiang Mai people (including my boyfriend) of being untrustworthy.

The canal road is very long. Thanks to My Pen Rye for mentioning the incident way up north, near the 500 year stadium. By the time you get to San Patong, it's not always the same. Exercise normal caution.

Paagai, I really got a laugh out of your Shan Army body warmers. :o

bungalowbill, sorry to hear about your friend being attacked near midnight, near Tha Pae Gate (which is not the same as Chiang Mai Land at 3 am). Was it somebody that I know?

My GF has just alerted me that one of her Thai friends had to give up his motorcycle to 5 thieves.

The location is a dark road that links Canal Road to the 700 years stadium. It happened around 7 p.m.

She mentioned to me that this area, even Canal road, at night, is dangerous at night. Be extremely vigilant. If you have been drinking you would be of course running even more risks.

Be careful, everyone!

this confuses me because the 700 year complex fronts on Canal road.