Motorcycle Jacking Today In Chiang Mai

MyPenRye

My GF has just alerted me that one of her Thai friends had to give up his motorcycle to 5 thieves.

He was asked to give them money as five Thai men brandished knives. He decided to tip the scooter towards the thieves to distract them and run for his life. He got away.

The location is a dark road that links Canal Road to the 700 years stadium. It happened around 7 p.m.

She mentioned to me that this area, even Canal road, at night, is dangerous at night. Be extremely vigilant. If you have been drinking you would be of course running even more risks.

Of course, this is not this road in particular that is dangerous, as the thieves probably don't do it in the same location night after night, unless they want to be out of business quickly I suppose! :o

Stick to the main roads or the busiest side roads at night.

BTW, the chance of the bike being recovered is next to nothing and the insurance does not cover theft!

50,000 bahts loss! That hurts!

BTW, this guy knows bar girls, even though he prefers men. But, my GF says that these girls are not to be trusted and especially the Thai guys they know. Who knows? This girl could have set up her friend ... for a cut, pun not intended !

Anyway, this is sad!

Be careful, everyone!

My GF has just alerted me that one of her Thai friends had to give up his motorcycle to 5 thieves.

He was asked to give them money as five Thai men brandished knives. He decided to tip the scooter towards the thieves to distract them and run for his life. He got away.

The location is a dark road that links Canal Road to the 700 years stadium. It happened around 7 p.m.

She mentioned to me that this area, even Canal road, at night, is dangerous at night. Be extremely vigilant. If you have been drinking you would be of course running even more risks.

Of course, this is not this road in particular that is dangerous, as the thieves probably don't do it in the same location night after night, unless they want to be out of business quickly I suppose! :o

BTW, the chance of the bike being recovered is next to nothing and the insurance does not cover theft!

BTW, this guy knows bar girls, even though he prefers men. But, my GF says that these girls are not to be trusted and especially the Thai guys they know. Who knows? This girl could have set up her friend ... for a cut, pun not intended !

Anyway, this is sad!

Be careful, everyone!

Amazing dialogue. Amazing Thailand. sBo_bouncing2.gif

Edited by Blinky Bill

Thanks for the report Op !

These days Chiangmai is going downwards rapidly .

A few months ago my wifes motorcycle was also stolen .

Even my flipflops left infront my wifes shop got stolen .

They were pretty old , but still...................

I guess since mr T has gone , the drugs and the users are having open field .

I guess they really need the cash to do so , we must be very cautious .

I think it is a definite fact that the economy is very bad and there are lots of people out there desperate for money.

I have heard many stories over the last month and personally had someone try to steal from me. This is definitely not a time to go flashing your cash around.

I think it is a definite fact that the economy is very bad and there are lots of people out there desperate for money.

I have heard many stories over the last month and personally had someone try to steal from me. This is definitely not a time to go flashing your cash around.

I have a friend in massage school last week and a couple of the other students were robbed and roughed up at knife point late at night in the old city. Apparently there is a rash of night crimes going on lately.

A few thoughts from the supreme crimefighter:

Trying to knife a moving cyclict is unlikely to succeed. If you scream a murderous warcry, and accelerate, bearing directly down on the smallest of the barricaders, you will likely pass through untouched.

If you have not got a warcry, you might acquire a gun.

If you think these two proposals the acme of foolishness, then face it: you are a plant-eater, and the meat-eaters will deny you the use of chokepoints in the gated city henceforth.

Methamphetamine is here to stay. Thaksin did not build the political will to confront it even in his day. It has gained critical mass, now, and you are powerless to reverse it as a force of nature. LOS is not the worst place among those afflicted. But the kingdom will have one of the most profound yaabaa epidemics in the world before there is even a sign of recovery. You must include the crime spawned by it in your calculations. What are a few and islated incidents here and there among you are but the first few pattering drops of rain that precede the deluge that is to come.

"You don't know the POWER of the Dark Side, Luke. I MUST OBEY my Master" - D. Vader, about his own personal struggle with yaabaa.

Buy a car. Get real locks and real bars. Buy a mean dog. Walk faster. Practice a wild-eyed look that other meth heads will construe to mean that you are farther gone than they are - whoa! not that one. Acquire the habit of randomly flipping out on people to create a slightly larger personal space around you, your "bubble". Eschew bathing.

If all else fails, try some yaabaa. maybe the whole ride down into the sewer will somehow sit better with you if you are feeling like god.

In seriousness, you all of you in Chiang Mai need to become more involved in every part of your community's crimefighting efforts. Donate, represent, report, assist, and be vigilant. Use the buddy or posse system. If you make it hard enough for the criminals to stay hidden or uncaught, you can arrest the growth for awhile.

You really are missing the boat, as a city. Massive efforts now may turn the law enforcement's losing battle around, but if you wait much longer, the infiltration will become too massive, and the police force will become your most powerful enemy instead of your only hope.

(Yes, I am an A Hole) And I continue to fight it in BKK with the nation's finest.

Choke Dii, Dek Dek Gai!

BTW, this guy knows bar girls, even though he prefers men. But, my GF says that these girls are not to be trusted and especially the Thai guys they know. Who knows? This girl could have set up her friend

As most Thai visa members are acutely aware, Thai bargirls are not only a source of national pride but also play an important role for the tourism autority of thailand. To suggest otherwise is a most unwarranted attack on the honest hardworking hostesses that make many a weary traveller feel more than welcome.

As for the thieves themselves...gutless individuals who would probably run if counter attacked. I'm sure they all have major dental hygene issues also. my suggestion would be to kick the biggest one in the "Sally valve" and watch em all scurry

This topic comes up on a regular basis. The OP is about some unfortunate (usually female) who has her bike or handbag stolen by a group of boys armed with knives and then degenerates into a discusion on how "if it had been them, they would happily kick the thieves from one end of the street to the other. In reality and without the gung ho histrionics there are very few men who can and will take on four or five armed men and come out unscathed. I have seen the remnants of guys in Pattaya and Samuii who thought they could do just this - and had a very harsh lesson given to them on street reality.

The only advice that is of any value is to keep aware of your situation and avoid putting yourself into areas where you are outnumbered and out of sight. If you wouldn't do it in your own country what makes you think you can do it here?

CB

Our 16 year old is pleading with us to allow him to have a motorcycle to get around with his friends. They are all great kids, so is he...it is not them I am worried about. I have seen SO many farang kids have really bad accidents over the past 8 years...just from being in the wrong place at the wrong time.

We are trying to persuade him to wait till next summer, we will get him his license in the states, he can come back and legally drive on it for a year. Then he graduates.

He is already very adept at catching sangtaews all over the fair city. Has been since the age of 12. I would love to give him this bit of freedom, but he would have to be on the canal road. sigh. What's a mum to do?

Apparently there is a rash of night crimes going on lately.

What's with recently?

I've been living here for about 3 years and ever since I've been here there's been night time violence.

One friend slashed and stabbed in front of Bossy for a mobile phone. :o

Another jumped and stomped for a motor bike and wallet by the YMCA. :D

5 Myanmar crew went in a Relax karoke and slashed up 4 of the staff with machetes. :D

These are just 3 incedences that happened to people I know, I hear about something almost every night. Be very carefull and travel in groups if possible.

What's with recently?

I've been living here for about 3 years and ever since I've been here there's been night time violence.

One friend slashed and stabbed in front of Bossy for a mobile phone. :o

5 Myanmar crew went in a Relax karoke and slashed up 4 of the staff with machetes. :D

These are just 3 incedences that happened to people I know, I hear about something almost every night. Be very carefull and travel in groups if possible.

I disagree with you on this. I have been here for quite a bit longer than you and believe that the incidence of crime is lower than in most cities in the west. Most of the fights I have seen have been between farungs who have had too much to drink in a bar and want to settle the dispute in the street. I ride my bike all around town and have seen groups of people who look like they could potentially be trouble but I keep aware of the situation and avoid doing the really obvious dumb things that I see tourists and local expats do on a regular basis.

There is crime in Chiang Mai as there is in any city but for the most part it is safe, more to the point it is definitely safer now than it was 20 years ago.

CB

What's with recently?

One friend slashed and stabbed in front of Bossy for a mobile phone. :D

5 Myanmar crew went in a Relax karoke and slashed up 4 of the staff with machetes. :bah:

I disagree with you on this. I have been here for quite a bit longer than you and believe that the incidence of crime is lower than in most cities in the west. Most of the fights I have seen have been between farungs who have had too much to drink in a bar and want to settle the dispute in the street. I ride my bike all around town and have seen groups of people who look like they could potentially be trouble but I keep aware of the situation and avoid doing the really obvious dumb things that I see tourists and local expats do on a regular basis.

There is crime in Chiang Mai as there is in any city but for the most part it is safe, more to the point it is definitely safer now than it was 20 years ago.

CB

Yeah, there are much more dangerous Western cities, but Chiang Mai definitely has problem areas too. You may have lived here for a long time, but your view seems to be through rose tinted glasses. Try Chiang Mai Land at 3.a.m (especially at weekends), or some of the late night Tai Yai haunts, you'll soon see real violence - and a lot nastier than a couple of drunken Farangs swinging punches, I can assure you. If anything SDH's view is tame, what about guns and open gang warfare? Plenty of it about Farangs just don't get to hear of :D .

Seems Burmese/Tai Yai are often involved in incidents (my Tai Yai friends seem to attract trouble......or maybe I just keep the wrong company :D ). It always amazes me that Thais treat Tai Yai as second (or even third) class citizens, abuse them and use them almost as slaves, deny them basic human rights and then wonder why they run around robbing and fighting! Then they don't have ID cards, and the BIB can't trace them so they get away free. You reap what you sow! Much could be done to address the social issues behind violent crime here, but I guess many of those who could do something are benefiting from the plentiful supply of cheap abusable labour.

Of course, if you stick to the sterile tourist/ex-pat places you'll be reasonably safe (LoiKroh ladyboys aside :o )

CB

Yeah, there are much more dangerous Western cities, but Chiang Mai definitely has problem areas too. You may have lived here for a long time, but your view seems to be through rose tinted glasses. Try Chiang Mai Land at 3.a.m (especially at weekends), or some of the late night Tai Yai haunts, you'll soon see real violence - and a lot nastier than a couple of drunken Farangs swinging punches, I can assure you. If anything SDH's view is tame, what about guns and open gang warfare? Plenty of it about Farangs just don't get to hear of :D .

Seems Burmese/Tai Yai are often involved in incidents (my Tai Yai friends seem to attract trouble......or maybe I just keep the wrong company :D ). It always amazes me that Thais treat Tai Yai as second (or even third) class citizens, abuse them and use them almost as slaves, deny them basic human rights and then wonder why they run around robbing and fighting! Then they don't have ID cards, and the BIB can't trace them so they get away free. You reap what you sow! Much could be done to address the social issues behind violent crime here, but I guess many of those who could do something are benefiting from the plentiful supply of cheap abusable labour.

Of course, if you stick to the sterile tourist/ex-pat places you'll be reasonably safe (LoiKroh ladyboys aside :o )

Yes I agree with CB, your view is that of someone who watchs from afar and quite possibly through rose tinted glasses! :o

How about the Samuri Gang? :D or the new start up version? :D

How about the Tuk Tuk drivers ganging up on unsuspecting Farang (alone) outside of that dump Spicy? :bah:

How about the Tai Yai guys who get attacked on a regular basis (usually alone) as they have no bank account and carry what little hard earned cash they have iwth them and of course the obligatory moblie. :bah: In these cases the BIB will not offer any assistance. When they're attacked they more than likely will come back with their crew after breing released from the hospital and it's on then, machetes a flying. As for them getting away free that's not always true, if you pay the BIB they can track them down but this costs extra (this service is not included in your municipal tax charge) ;)

Good luck on your late night travels,

SDH.

In answer to your opening line - I am not looking through rose tinted glasses of any sort. I know and acknowledge that there is violence in any city including Chiang Mai.

Seems Burmese/Tai Yai are often involved in incidents (my Tai Yai friends seem to attract trouble......or maybe I just keep the wrong company :D ).
You may have answered your own question.
It always amazes me that Thais treat Tai Yai as second (or even third) class citizens, abuse them and use them almost as slaves, deny them basic human rights and then wonder why they run around robbing and fighting! Then they don't have ID cards, and the BIB can't trace them so they get away free.
They are illegal immigrant workers so they are in the same position as any of the same type that cross the border into California, enter illegally into Europe, or any other country. They will be exploited and abused. The statement that the BIB can't trace then is wrong - the simple fact is that if they are caught without their ID card they will be arrested and put into lock up until their citizenship is established. If they are illegal immigrants they are handed over to the Immigration Police for extradition.
You reap what you sow! Much could be done to address the social issues behind violent crime here, but I guess many of those who could do something are benefiting from the plentiful supply of cheap abusable labour.
Unlike the enlightened west that has done so much to address the issue of illegal workers in places such as Southern California, Texas, and New Mexico. Australia has a world renowned attitude to illegal boat people, seconded only by that of the UK.

Yes I agree with CB, your view is that of someone who watchs from afar and quite possibly through rose tinted glasses! :o

No you are quoting your own post - I did not make any mention to the quote in colour above - it is purely your own writing. If you can't operate the quote function don't use it and don't try to make out your own statements belong to anyone else, especially me.

How about the Samuri Gang? :D or the new start up version? :D
The Samurai Gang is a special case - they are dangerous and real but no more than any gang in any other city in the world.
How about the Tuk Tuk drivers ganging up on unsuspecting Farang (alone) outside of that dump Spicy? :bah:
I know of one case where a tourist was attached by a Tuk Tuk driver that went from Spicy/Spotlight. He badmouthed the driver and refused to pay the agreed fare. When he walked up the road they had a loud argument that was finished by the tuk tuk driver taking to them with a tire iron. It was violent and he ended up in hospital with serious injuries including a broken jaw. You really think a taxi driver in New York is going to react any differently to someone who stiffed him for a fare?
How about the Tai Yai guys who get attacked on a regular basis (usually alone) as they have no bank account and carry what little hard earned cash they have iwth them and of course the obligatory moblie. :bah: In these cases the BIB will not offer any assistance. When they're attacked they more than likely will come back with their crew after breing released from the hospital and it's on then, machetes a flying.
The BIB will not offer any assistance if the person attacked is an illegal immigrant because they will arrest him.
As for them getting away free that's not always true, if you pay the BIB they can track them down but this costs extra (this service is not included in your municipal tax charge) ;)
Again you are quoting yourself and inferring that it is from my post. Sort out your messages and who you think you are at the moment.
Good luck on your late night travels,

SDH.

I don't need luck because I don't find the need to hang around ChiangMail land at 3:00am nor outside Spicy's. I don't associate with illegal workers nor put myself in a position of being caught up with gangs. I don't go staggering down dark side streets and then wonder why someone tried to rob me. I don't bad mouth tuk tuk drivers or argue with construction workers. I use my head and common sense to keep myself out of dangerous situations. My advice to you is to consider what you are doing and why.

CB

What's a mum to do?

Follow your gut. Another year of waiting won't kill him, but getting the bike just might.

No doubt he will be p.o.'d off but such is life (and the fact that since I don't have to live in the same house when he is a normal kid being p.o.'d helps.) If he's smart you can explain your reasons. He may not agree, but inside he'll understand. I sort of understood when my folks said no on a couple items. Hated them, but understood :o

The other option is to follow the Mom strategy and tell him the truth - That if something ever happened to him, you couldn't live with yourself. Lay the sentimentality on thick and manage a tear or so. Boys hate to see their mom's cry. It's in the secret boys rule book.

Failing that, come up with a licensing and insurance excuse. Every month you can put off the issue is another month of not worrying. Hopefully, he's not like one of my stubborn brothers that went out and bought a mangled Triumph on his own at 17 causing my parents heart palpitations.

Theres a residential complex adjacent to the 700 year complex that I once explored when bored. Apart from being full of nasty speed bumps the atmosphere was horrible;A mean place with mean people hanging around it. It doesn't suprise me that the OPs reported crime happened so close to this housing estate.

The tourist farangs are usually untouched but those of us that have been here for longer than 6 months know the crime is random and sporadic (for the most part) but quite violent when it happens.

On a lighter note; A few hours ago I was just getting my apartment sorted out after ironing out the final bits and bobs I was looking at the security and was going over the finer points of it with the Chinese land lord (LL).

JK 'So apart from the security cameras (There are 8 no less!) is there a roving security guard?'

LL 'Having a security guard is not real security!' He replied with a smile (in the way only the chinese can do!)

JK 'Yeah but the cameras can't stop intruders.'

LL 'Security is not real security (intruders are helped by security!) <Cue the Chinese proverb!!!>

LL' Sometimes it's better to have a watchful dog (cameras) than a human guard.'

It made sense but the way he said it was like something off the Water Margin!

You've gotta love the chinese and their quirky ways :o

Edited by JimsKnight

No doubt he will be p.o.'d off but such is life (and the fact that since I don't have to live in the same house when he is a normal kid being p.o.'d helps.) If he's smart you can explain your reasons. He may not agree, but inside he'll understand. I sort of understood when my folks said no on a couple items. Hated them, but understood

Some very good advice in geriatrickid's post.

Another strategy is to take him around a few hospital wards & show him the consequences of bike accidents. (May need a "contact" for this.)

Those in the know, please tell the ignorami about the Samurai gang.

Those in the know, please tell the ignorami about the Samurai gang.

The Samurai gang were around a few years ago predominantly along the now middle ring road. They rode their bikes and targetted Thais with emphasis on young females. Several female students from Payap University were attacked after they left work at the ring road restaurants. As the gang members rode past they would slash out with long bladed knives or swords hence the name. The police eventually got serious and put the gang in prison and it all went quiet. Then within the last year several people have had the same treatment and the gang seems to have been reincarnated in form if not the same members.

CB

quote] The BIB will not offer any assistance if the person attacked is an illegal immigrant because they will arrest him.

I don't want to argue as you seem to know all, but why do you assume that the 2 guys I'm talking about that got attacked at Bossy don't have ID cards? They do and they're valid, the BIB did not help them....Oh they did help the hospital in not releasing them until the bill was paid, I know i paid it and gave the BIB a tip.

Once again good luck in your safe return home if you're out late at night in CM or any OTHER big city,

SDH.

It's nice up here in the mountains, no bars but a large cultural mix. I walk past an occasional disagreement but they stop and smile sheepishly when they see me.

Most of the disputes are domestic with the occasional fisticuffs over a local lady whom may be a little free with her favors. (My wife has them monitored constantly).

No one needs to lock their motor bike up either.

Edited by sceadugenga

Rather sensational. I have lived on the canal road for 6 years and have never seen anything to my disliking. i think you're friend was unlucky, no need for everyone to hide. You could get muged anywhere, just about bad luck.

Anyway, this is sad!

Be careful, everyone!