40% Of Thai Spouses Have Lovers

george

I dont know if having a gik is considered the new 'cool' thing to do, or if its considered *almost* acceptable in Thai culture to have one, but this 40% phenomena is worryingly high

I feel sorry for the 40 % of cheated husbands.

Thank god I'm one of the 60 %

onzestan

or at least you think so :D:o

• Replies 66
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

SURE?????? stanneman?

I dont know if having a gik is considered the new 'cool' thing to do, or if its considered *almost* acceptable in Thai culture to have one, but this 40% phenomena is worryingly high

I feel sorry for the 40 % of cheated husbands.

Thank god I'm one of the 60 %

onzestan

Having one or more Gig(s) could in a way be a form of status as well as suggest sexual prowess virility. Most Thais can’t afford the expensive status material things western men have like Rolex watches and sports cars.

Now as all the western men sit back and try to figure out who has the better deal , the though that come to mind is that Rolex and sports car are part of a way to get what the Thai men seem to have at a lot lower cost.

Good God folks, I can't believe people's comments. People have been screwing around since the beginning of time--they always have and always will and they do it everywhere. No surprises here. But, hey, I like reading about sex too!

I was under the impression that a Gik was a special friend, a person who is more than a buddy, but not quite a Lover or Casual Affair and more of a teenage term.

I guess I have been ill informed. :o

Moss

No strings relationship is what it is at any level you wish it to be.

I'd say it's more like 50-60%, atleast in Bangkok.

At the end of the day, it cuts both ways, married men unsatisfied w/ their wives and vice-versa.

I'd say it's pretty even to be honest or maybe 60 - 40 in favor of the lads.

This is what brings me to the point that approx. 80% or more prospective 'giks' are usually found to be married.

Remember having a 29 year old gik in uni about 6 years ago.

Husband nearly walked in on us and I jumped from her 1st floor apt. window and belted out the back alley just in time!

I was living on edge for the next 1 month expecting to be shot at point-blank range anytime!

I'd say it's more like 50-60%, atleast in Bangkok.

At the end of the day, it cuts both ways, married men unsatisfied w/ their wives and vice-versa.

I'd say it's pretty even to be honest or maybe 60 - 40 in favor of the lads.

This is what brings me to the point that approx. 80% or more prospective 'giks' are usually found to be married.

Remember having a 29 year old gik in uni about 6 years ago.

Husband nearly walked in on us and I jumped from her 1st floor apt. window and belted out the back alley just in time!

I was living on edge for the next 1 month expecting to be shot at point-blank range anytime!

Or stabbed more likely back then. Now maybe shot, true.

Play nice folks, or rent rent rent.

Good God folks, I can't believe people's comments. People have been screwing around since the beginning of time--they always have and always will and they do it everywhere. No surprises here. But, hey, I like reading about sex too!

On the other hand, Thailand is unique in that the ratio of Female:Male is extrodinarily high( one of the highest in the world in fact). No wonder there's alot of cheating going on in male/female relationships :o .

I am in two minds over this. Both of them probably addled.

1. Marriage is an imposition of organised religion which flies in the face of natural law. Contemporary people have more individual power, are more independent and have the freedom to choose for themselves rather than blindly following convention or huddling together for mutual warmth. Furthermore attitudes are more relaxed and there isn't the same degree of scandal which used to attach itself to divorce. For many there is the mantra of 'you only have one life so live it to the full.'

2. All too few on learning that their partner has strayed ever asked themselves what part THEY played in bringing the situation about. Instead of conveniently placing all the blame on the errant one maybe a measure of personal honesty may provide some explanation as to why the other half sought comfort,solace or excitement elsewhere.

Marriage is an imposition of organised religion which flies in the face of natural law. Contemporary people have more individual power, are more independent and have the freedom to choose for themselves rather than blindly following convention or huddling together for mutual warmth. Furthermore attitudes are more relaxed and there isn't the same degree of scandal which used to attach itself to divorce. For many there is the mantra of 'you only have one life so live it to the full.'

the other definition of marriage is 'legalised rape' - however, we are talking about relationships and not marriages. At some stage of our lives, after searching for our soulmate, we need an emotional stability, setting up a family and eventually having kids - be responsible partner and parent. Of cource, all are free to behave like tenage all their lifes, but generally those are classified as not emotionally matured.

when one commits to the steady relationship one should keep their promise to the partner not to have another partner - or just simply separate and set up another relationship

when one commits to the steady relationship one should keep their promise to the partner not to have another partner - or just simply separate and set up another relationship

well said..

i couldn't agree more.!! :o

In fact one should behave like Jesus, but......

I was under the impression that a Gik was a special friend, a person who is more than a buddy, but not quite a Lover or Casual Affair and more of a teenage term.

I guess I have been ill informed. :o

Moss

A Gik is (according to a thai girl I know) what you might call a 'Close Friend Lover' (CFL). She said it is someone you feel very close too and like to be with. So it can be for sex as well as company.

Quite often thai girls are tired of their thai boyfriends and may look to a Gik to keep them happy.

People who say a Gik is just a fck buddy either haven't had a proper Gik or just have a stunted view on the opposite sex.

I wouldn't lose too much sleep on the OPs news bulletin/report. It's just some neo conservative concerned about what other people doing their own thing in life. Once you get fifty miles south or north of Bangkok life carrys on as usual in Thailand :D

Edited by JimsKnight

All a bit cut and dried don't you think? It may suit devout Christians but they are very much in the minority. When I married my Thai wife I made no such commitment, and none was asked of me. I did however promise that I would never leave her and would take care of her for all of my days. I have abided by that undertaking and will continue to do so. That, to me, seems to fit into contemporary Thai life quite well. Any promise that I make is light years removed from those given by Thai politicians and Civil Servants.

The point about adultery and unfaithfulness is that it is not the physical act that offends but the betrayal and thought that everybody but the betrayed knew. Loss of face? The way that Thais deal with mia nois and pa nois is commendable in my view and helps keep the family together as a unit.

All a bit cut and dried don't you think? It may suit devout Christians but they are very much in the minority. When I married my Thai wife I made no such commitment, and none was asked of me. I did however promise that I would never leave her and would take care of her for all of my days. I have abided by that undertaking and will continue to do so. That, to me, seems to fit into contemporary Thai life quite well. Any promise that I make is light years removed from those given by Thai politicians and Civil Servants.

The point about adultery and unfaithfulness is that it is not the physical act that offends but the betrayal and thought that everybody but the betrayed knew. Loss of face? The way that Thais deal with mia nois and pa nois is commendable in my view and helps keep the family together as a unit.

great but would'nt work for me ,one affair and i'd be off ,no second chances........

All a bit cut and dried don't you think? It may suit devout Christians but they are very much in the minority. When I married my Thai wife I made no such commitment, and none was asked of me. I did however promise that I would never leave her and would take care of her for all of my days. I have abided by that undertaking and will continue to do so. That, to me, seems to fit into contemporary Thai life quite well.

as I mentioned - fair play to your partner doesn't have anything to do with marriage and nothing to do with religion - more like being honest to yourself, your partner, your kids and to your relatives and friends. How reliable for you would be your cousin, friend or collegue chasing partners outside their steady relationship? Would you be confident to let him/her take care of your partner when you are away from home?

as about cutting and drying you might talk to some thai females who might see their cheating partner as a scummer and treat him accordingly. Same goes for the male partners/husbands being cheated on

Just got back from 3 weeks in Thailand,and I was hearing more and more of my girlfriends collegues are or have got giks,but I got the impression that there was a monetry gain involved in most set ups.I also was made aware of a very significant number of local college girls that were in lesbian relationships added to the gay and katoeys that also are her friends it makes for interesting party evening at her house.She often tells me this friend and that friend want to boom boom with me(they want to try a farang)One even directly propositioned me with a side trip to her beautiful house in the next province.However,she leaves a lot to be desired in the looks department,and the girlfriend is always testing me.