Teaching As A Career

+1. IMHO, it's a mistake to come to Thailand unless you've got (1) investments back home sufficient to support, at minimum, a bare bones existence here indefinitely w/o your needing to work and (2) the ability easily to step back into the society and, as necessary, the world of work there.

Seen too many younger farangs just making a mess of their lives here, finally disillusioned with the lack of any real future and financial security, wasting what should be their good earning and career-building years back home but seemingly unable to return. Best o' luck to them, but I'm glad I didn't know enough about Thailand when I was younger even to be tempted.

I probably agree with you hence at the start of the post i said it was plan B.

I do have some saving enough to buy a nice condo in BKK, and then some left over for a rainy day.

But you will have a far better standard of life if you have no rent to pay in Bkk, and are earning 50k Baht a month, then if you were earning 50,000 pound a year living in London.

Quite right howtpescape.

Do you want end up an old man who is financially secure or do you want to live and take a few chances?. All my older friends wish they had found Thailand earlier. I came here when I was in my twenties and highly recommend it when your younger. Your whole attitude will change and the beadheads of the West will make you laugh, especially the ones who refuse to learn about the new country and are giving their life savings away.

Can i ask what you where doing for money in your 20s, and are you doing the same thing now.

I think if you are willing to work hard, have a good brain, dont go out on the piss every night, youve got a good start to make something of yourself no matter where. My problem is, it took 30 years to get to that stage.

Can I ask what you where doing for money in your 20s, and are you doing the same thing now.

I think if you are willing to work hard, have a good brain, dont go out on the piss every night, youve got a good start to make something of yourself no matter where. My problem is, it took 30 years to get to that stage.

Dude, it was my later 20s I came here. I taught when first coming here and a couple of other things that I can't say.

Now, I teach 7 hours a week and have found a way to make decent money. Again I'd rather not say how, but trust me - come here and after a few years teaching you'll definitely find better ways to make money, especially if you learn the language and have half a brain.

In the UK you can get a degree in kite flying and probably street cleaning these days so please someone tell me the relevance of having someone teach my daughter who has one of these mickey mouse degrees ? I fail to see it.
torrenova, Thais might give special value to a degree in flying the kite. :o

Seriously, a BA or BS in any field shows the person had the stamina to acquire knowledge in a formal educational setting. Most BA and BS degrees, obviously, are not in basket weaving and other seemingly nonacademic pursuits. Likewise, most such degrees are from real universities.

We can teach your daughter English, math or social sciences even if our degree major subjects are not in that field. However, if you wish to pay ten times as much for your daughter's education in Thailand, you can get a teacher who is fully qualified both in educational methodology and in her teaching field, and has done supervised, extensive practice teaching, been certified, passed her police checks, etc.

If you don't want your child being educated by educators, pull her out of school entirely. In some Thai schools, it might be an improvement.

I have been accepted on a Msc Finance course starting in March 08 at the London School of Business and Finance, on the basis i have owned and run a business for the last few years.

From what has been posted i take it that its now almost impossible to get any kind of teaching job without a degree of sorts?

I hope I have sorted out the quotes ok.

You have been accepted onto an MSc with no previous qualifications but your experience? I find that hard to believe. Wouldnt Finance be an MA? Business is an MA.

An MBA is NOT an easy thing to get onto. It shouldnt be! An MBA isnt a 1st degree. Some universities look at it as a 3rd degree ie AFTER an MA and BA.

That said, Thailand is still a place of yes, no, maybe. If you have a degree, you can get a job - a decent one - easily. Without a degree its more difficult.

( sorry, I have been at the pub tonight so its been hard to type this :o )