Where To Buy Vegemite

bangkoklah

I lucky, friend brought over 1kg tub for me, but just ran out. Different friend bringing 2 jars from Darwin next week, you cannot have one.

Vila supermarkets did have it, but last 2 times I looked they did not have anymore, may have just ran out, but both visits were several months inbetween.

Try vila in Ploenchit centre, near soi 33 and in soi 11.

Failing that, a shop in soi 71 up soi 35 I think, on left side going away from Sukhumvit will defo have it. Just cannot remember name right now.

I used to get mine from Foodland but if they run out (I know, I'm just as incredulous, used to think that apart from the folks from down under, I was the only fan), you can always try the supermarket at Paragon. They have almost everything, at a premium price of course. :o

Where to buy vegemite in Bangkok? Been trying to find it everywhere with no luck. The last jar I have is almost empty.

I went off Vegemite ever since Kraft was "sold out" to the yanks. Since then, I have been eating "Mighty Mite", which is very much like the original Vegemite but not the same as the real thing.

Now that I'm over my "nationalistic" tendencies, I'd love to have some real Vegemite again.

My favourite Vegemite recipes/concoctions;

1] Vegemite on toast with lots of butter.

2] Vegemite with Baked Beans, on toast.

3] Vegemite with canned spaghetti, on toast.

4] Vegemite & lettuce sandwiches.

5] Vegemite & mild/cheddar cheese, toasted/grilled or as sandwiches.

6] Vegemite on SAO's with butter (so you can squeeze the SAO's together & make Vegemite/butter squiggles).

7] Vegemite teaspooned straight from the jar (Yum!!!).

8] Vegemite added to "home made" vegetable soup.

9] Vegemite thickly spread on top of a layer of thick slabs of cold butter, on bread ("real" butter...margarine sucks!).

10] And finally, Vegemite on pizzas (Aussie style, of course).

AAAAAAHHHHHHHHHH!!!! Reminiscing :o .

I love reading Australian vegemite posts! My friends send me squeezy tubes in the mail every couple of months. If you're not Aussie, you just don't get it :o

the tubes taste weird to me. dont like em. if its not in glass i dont want it.

What the hll is Vegemite? :o

It's the waste product left after making Marmite :D

Actually I can't stand either, both taste like, well, something unmentionable. I was force fed Marmite on toast as a kid, it's supposed to be good for you, ugh!

Just the thought of promite and marmite makes me shiver with disgust. There is NO comparison to the mighty vegemite! Obviously not enough aussie blood coursing through your veins if you claim to favour the aforementioned!

Love vegemite and tomato sangers, but got to eat them fresh before the bread goes soggy.

Good on the wise folk in Thailand who know how to make an easy buck from deprived Aussies!

Toasted cheddar cheese and vegemite sangers, awesome.

From foodland, go buy the fresh cheese bougettes, rip apart, smother in butter and vegemite...awesome number 2.

Best place to buy it is soi 71, it is much cheaper than villa, the price in villa is ridiculous. FGF also has many other ozzie ticket itmes, sao biscuits for example and the lamb is awesome....number 3.

For TV members not familiar with the stuff - here's the Vegemite homepage.

Personally, I prefer Promite (like Vegemite, but not as salty).

Then, there's always Marmite.

Peter

-----------------------------

Thanks. Interesting site but no mention of exact ingredients.

Actually I often sprinkle raw powdered brewers yeast on some foods. It has a good taste to me kind of "chessy."

Anyone can get deficient in B vitamins very easily, especially B-12. For myself it's especially important because I've been vegetarian since 1974 and it's easier for a "veggie" to get deficient with possible serious consequences.

I'm actually curious to try this product because I like things that alot of others don't.

My only concern is it's made by Kraft and most of their products contain stuff I'd never eat.

I'll try to find the ingredients on the web... :o

Just looked up the ingredients on the official Marmite site (marmite.co.uk) and yes! you too can join the fan club!

* Yeast Extract

* Salt

* Vegetable Extract

* Niacin

* Thiamin

* Spice Extracts

* Riboflavin

* Folic Acid

* Celery Extract

* Vitamin B12

Sounds like a good clean product. However I've seen several post that rumor it's banned by the FDA in the US because it contains folate?

As an Aussie that can't stand the crap:

It's a vile concoction made from the used brewer's yeast from beer - originally provided by one of the Carlton United Breweries (Fosters / VB / Crown - yes, I do drink beer; just not AU generics). For smell & flavour, it's right up there with Durian.

Generally used as a spread, also used as a drink (1 tsp/cup of hot water), a flavour 'enhancer' for soups & gravies.

I believe I'll be in BKK on the 26/27 Oct & can bring a few jars for the desperate. I'll need to know b4 Oct 22.

Edited by pgs

As an Aussie that can't stand the crap:

It's a vile concoction made from the used brewer's yeast from beer - originally provided by one of the Carlton United Breweries (Fosters / VB / Crown - yes, I do drink beer; just not AU generics). For smell & flavour, it's right up there with Durian.

Generally used as a spread, also used as a drink (1 tsp/cup of hot water), a flavour 'enhancer' for soups & gravies.

I believe I'll be in BKK on the 26/27 Oct & can bring a few jars for the desperate. I'll need to know b4 Oct 22.

---------------------

Just see, Durian is one of my favorite fruits when in Thailand. I even buy it fresh, at a premium, here in San Diego. You can get it frozen but it's not as good.

Sounds like Vegemite may be for me... :D

Just looked up the ingredients on the official Marmite site (marmite.co.uk) and yes! you too can join the fan club!

* Yeast Extract

* Salt

* Vegetable Extract

* Niacin

* Thiamin

* Spice Extracts

* Riboflavin

* Folic Acid

* Celery Extract

* Vitamin B12

Sounds like a good clean product. However I've seen several post that rumor it's banned by the FDA in the US because it contains folate?

Pepe, did you look up Vegemite (an Oz product), or Marmite (pommy).

While you are researching, can you also see if you can find out what is in an Oz meat pie - there are many of us have been trying to find out for years :o

* Yeast Extract

* Salt

* Vegetable Extract

* Niacin

* Thiamin

* Spice Extracts

* Riboflavin

* Folic Acid

* Celery Extract

* Vitamin B12

Pepe, did you look up Vegemite (an Oz product), or Marmite (pommy).

While you are researching, can you also see if you can find out what is in an Oz meat pie - there are many of us have been trying to find out for years :o

sheeps eyes and inners.. :D

Factory made meat pies are full of vile crap...basically, they're full of offal with plenty of veins, gristle & other stuff. Bugger all meat though.

A "real" meat pie, like my grandmother makes, only has real meat, not much fat, lots of onion & gravy. Tripple YUM!!