42 Million Passengers Used Suvarnabhumi Airport In First Year

george

42 million passengers used Bangkok's new airport in first year

BANGKOK: -- The number of passengers using services at Suvarnabhumi Airport totalled over 41.8 million in the past year -- its first year of operation -- and the total is expected to reach the airport's full capacity of 45 million next year, according to Airports of Thailand director Serirat Prasutanont.

Mr. Serirat revealed the number of passengers during the October 2006-September 2007 period reached 41.84 million, while cargo transfer services totalling 1.23 million tonnes and the number of total flights was 267,480.

Services are considered to be growing at a satisfactory level.

The number of local passengers, if combined with those using services at Don Muang International Airport when some domestic flights returned to the airport on March 25, totalled 12,408,699, up 1,245,383 or 11.6 per cent, with total flights of 114,358, up 16,810 or 17.23 per cent.

The AOT director projected the number of passengers at Suvarnabhumi Airport would increase to its full capacity of 45 million next year.

Because of this, AOT had revised its master plan and engaged the International Civil Aviation Organisation to study a plan to develop the airport in preparation of the increased number of passengers in the future.

The study is expected to be concluded and submitted to the Transport Ministry for consideration soon.

--TNA 2007-10-15

OK. And let's say that 50% (very generous figure) were domestic passengers and had no departure tax to pay. So, an airport tax of B700 x 20,000,000 international passengers = B1,400,000,000.

Just wondering where the proceeds of this tidy sum went to. I mean, were they ploughed back into the business (at least wash the fukking windows in the place!!)?

Edited by Big A

OK. And let's say that 50% (very generous figure) were domestic passengers and had no departure tax to pay. So, an airport tax of B700 x 20,000,000 international passengers = B1,400,000,000.

Just wondering where the proceeds of this tidy sum went to. I mean, were they ploughed back into the business (at least wash the fukking windows in the place!!)?

Perhaps that figure was ingoing and outgoing, so you would have to halve that figure again. But still 700 million is still a bunch of dosh. Would be nice if they could put it towards building the skytrain link.

^ Yeah, I suppose you're right.

But all I want is value for money. Heathrow (which a lot of posters seem to hate) and all other 'hubs' which I have used have numerous restaurants, burger joints, DVD/CD shops, pay phones, souvenir shops, bars, newspaper/sweet shops etc etc all before immigration

Edited by Big A

^^

Nah. That's the special forces checking the windows for CRACKS!!!! :D

no, those are passengers taking a detour around the king power duty free area to approach immigration quickly on arrival :D

anything to get away from taxi touts . :o

BANGKOK: -- The number of passengers using services at Suvarnabhumi Airport totalled over 41.8 million in the past year -- its first year of operation -- and the total is expected to reach the airport's full capacity of 45 million next year, according to Airports of Thailand director Serirat Prasutanont.

:o:D :D

Next year -2008- it will reach FULL capacity ? That's clever planning, isn't it ?

What about the years to come ? Will they stop in-and outbound planes/passengers...hmmmm

LaoPo

Well, I'm glad to see that our predictions of the entire airport sinking into the cobra swamp didn't come true. And it's not too bad.

But if it's already at 98% capacity overall, that guarantees that some of the operational systems are already overloaded. And Don Muang is already reactivated.

Wonder how many of those where happy with it?

And Don Muang is already reactivated.

Bring back Don Muang. Although not the best Airport in the world, i loved it :o

that place was falling to bits ,the new one gets better everytime i use it .

Amazing that you can dispute this here, the tax money goes to the person who is not allowed to be mentioned here, as if you did not know. :o

Edited by Acquiesce

Guys, I would certainly not want to quarrel with official govt numbers, but I just have a hard time believing some of these numbers...267,480 flights in 1st year...that is 5,143 per week...735 per day...30 per hour...one flight every 2 minutes 24 hours a day..7 days a week and 52 weeks per year... Question? Is a take off and a landing 2 flights? Also, of the 267,840 flights, what percentage is freight?

41.84 million passengers in 1 year...over 800,000 people per week...115,000 per day..If there are 300 people per flight, it would be 385 flights per day with 300 people on each flight...

I have flown in and out of many airports around the world, and this one sure doesn't look as busy as DFW or Atlanta or LGA or JFK or Heathrow... The gates are never all filled with aircraft like you see at many airports..

Would love to hear some comments from some aviation guys that can understand these numbers and show me how they make sense.

Stoneman

41.84 million passengers in 1 year...over 800,000 people per week...115,000 per day..If there are 300 people per flight, it would be 385 flights per day with 300 people on each flight...

did they include the touts hanging around the airport and family / friends seeing-off passengers every day...? :D:D:o

Amazing that you can dispute this here, the tax money goes to the person who is not allowed to be mentioned here, as if you did not know. :o

Well its kinda expensive to support the many mia nois as well as for the offsprings' overseas college education :D

I cant actually believe the amounts of complaints and discussion there is about an airport, when i was there it was the quickest ive ever been out of the plane and into a cab in my life.

My only complaint was that there is no live sports channel in the departure area, im sure with help from my family, lots of counselling and medication i will overcome this in time.

Could you imagine a bunch of Thais going on an internet forum and complaining about the new terminal at Heathrow.

I cant actually believe the amounts of complaints and discussion there is about an airport, when i was there it was the quickest ive ever been out of the plane and into a cab in my life.

My only complaint was that there is no live sports channel in the departure area, im sure with help from my family, lots of counselling and medication i will overcome this in time.

Could you imagine a bunch of Thais going on an internet forum and complaining about the new terminal at Heathrow.

This is low season and it is managing quite well. Just wait for Xmas season. It is going to be an absolute disaster.

The AOT director projected the number of passengers at Suvarnabhumi Airport would increase to its full capacity of 45 million next year.

The present AOT director seems to enjoy self-congratulatory statements to the media, three so far within a few weeks.

Beware, all glitter, no content.

The present AOT director seems to enjoy self-congratulatory statements to the media, three so far within a few weeks.

Of I can't wait for that. For this airport to appear calm, collected and efficient, it needs a capacity at least 20% bigger.

Of I can't wait for that. For this airport to appear calm, collected and efficient, it needs a capacity at least 20% bigger.

I was thru Suvarnabhumi about 20 times in first year.

Quite frankly, apart from King Power, touts of all descriptons.... the lonnnnnnnnnng walks to aircraft.

HEY, I LOVE THE PLACE.

Last trip taxi touts seem to be on ground level.

Even have a feed at Magic Food Point and sleep over if late arriving.

35 Baht bus into BKK.

Wot more ya want.

Get from an International airport elsewhere, into any other country's main city for that much.

Mite take half an hour, so what.

Love L.O.S.s

Kiwi Pete