Dad Coming To Visit (where To Go)

iminthailand

I took my father(68) to the Ancient Village and Crocodile farm at Samut Prakhan. Went on the river boat from Sapan Taksin up to Nontaburi, taking in all the sights on the way(wat arun, grand palace, wat pra kieow) and having a good meal at the floating restaurant there. Pat Pong night market and a quick visit to Nana Plaza. I forgot that my old man liked looking at pretty girls.

Just drop him off at the end of Walking street in Pattaya, then pick him up in time to go back to the airport five days later.

Oh, and best to ge him fitted with one of those Sat. tracking device thingies.

Naka.

Hey! He's only 53, mature and fully capable of taking care of himself. I'm older than that and never needed a Sat tracing device.... very often anyway. :o

One night in Bangkok, two in Hua Hin, another in Kanchanaburi and then back to Bangers. None too far away. Samet's ok but a bit of a rip and best for couples, families really.

This is a very good suggestion for a short trip. Assuming budget isn't too tight in Bangkok here are some ideas

• Drinks at Vertigo - go right before sunset
  • Go to Tha Tien, the doc near Wat Po and charter an hour long tail boat through Thonburi canals
  • Eat dinner along the river, or maybe one of the boat dinners - they can be expensive but a fun way to see things at night
  • I'm not so big on the usual Nana-type nightclubs. I do belong to one of the upscale gentlemans clubs for my out of town visitors. Fun night of chatting, dancing and listening to the band - and no more. They are not cheap however.
  • The usual tourist places are worth seeing

Hey, I'm 23 and my dad is 53 and is coming to Thailand for 5 days to visit.

Any good ideas on what to do with him?

Was thinking 1-2 days in Bangkok (where im staying now) and then going to Samet. I've never been to samet before though.

Pattaya Soi Yodsak

cheers

onzestan

One night in Bangkok, two in Hua Hin, another in Kanchanaburi and then back to Bangers. None too far away. Samet's ok but a bit of a rip and best for couples, families really.

This is a very good suggestion for a short trip. Assuming budget isn't too tight in Bangkok here are some ideas

• Go to Tha Tien, the doc near Wat Po and charter an hour long tail boat through Thonburi canals
  • Eat dinner along the river, or maybe one of the boat dinners - they can be expensive but a fun way to see things at night
  • I'm not so big on the usual Nana-type nightclubs. I do belong to one of the upscale gentlemans clubs for my out of town visitors. Fun night of chatting, dancing and listening to the band - and no more. They are not cheap however.

hey im pushing 50 if my kids kept me away from the girly bars the whole time ,i would be pretty pissed at them :o

Was thinking 1-2 days in Bangkok (where im staying now) and then going to Samet. I've never been to samet before though.

Pattaya Soi Yodsak

cheers

onzestan

Forgot the :o:D :D

No 1 Definately. Vertigo. Amazing views of Bangkok.

Long tail boat around Bkk . Yup !

Edited by stevemiddie

* Muang Boran, or the Ancient City in Samut Prakan someone else recommended, seriously good but you need a car.

* The Grand Palace, across the river and through the canals for buzz

* Vi-mah-mek Palace in Dusit area, i think they call it the Teak Palace

* a night in Cowboy if he like a drink (and you don't want your parents spliting)

good luck!

There is also a bus/boat trip to Autthya that is nice. It's nice to go up by bus and then come back on the boat--actually, I usually take people mostly for the boat trip back. Food is pretty good and very relaxing. It's all day. Check with the hotels. It's pretty much an all day tour.

Patpong night market is pretty nice too. It has all the stuff and you can peek in the bars and see if dad's interested in going in.

Pretty much all the tourist attractions are worthy of seeing.

If you don't have a car, take the tours, they are worth it and quite enjoyable.

Best of luck to you.

He should definitely spend a night on SC and Nana. Then couple of days in Pattaya. F the views of BKK, who flies all the way for that crap, buy a few postcards.

I agree. Bkk is to LoS, as NYC is to USA or London is to the UK. Nice places to visit and lots to do, but hardly indicative of what the rest of the country is like. Nothing wrong with a night out inbound and outbound, but get him out to see some of the country. Ayuthaya is so close and easy to get to with so much to see that it makes for a great/inexpensive day trip or overnighter. Most of the country is within a 60-70 minute flight from Suv or DM. You could even do day trips or overnighters to P'lok or Chiang Mai. Then again, with only 5 days, the last thing you would want to spend a lot of time traveling.

* Muang Boran, or the Ancient City in Samut Prakan someone else recommended, seriously good but you need a car.

"ancient city" is only a misleading name :D it's okay - but only if you want to spend time visiting modern day miniature replica's of old sites... and trip over local tourists taking photos using mobile phones neung-song-sahm.... :o

Edited by Payboy

I wouldn't bother with Samet as it really is only for couples. Is a nice place but i wouldn't rush back there. Stick to Bangkok and then Samui/Phuket.

No 1 Definately. Vertigo. Amazing views of Bangkok.

Agreed. 60 floors up and open-top, but make sure you eat before you go. A beer is close to 300 baht a pop so you could imagine what a dish would be!