Air Tickets To Get 30 Day Tv Extensions At Jomtien

I waded through all the October threads to see if someone had posted about this already, but surprisingly no one has.

30-day extensions on Tourist Visas will now NOT be given at the Jomtien Immigration Office unless air tickets are shown. Without an air ticket, they will only give a 7-day extension.

Apparently this has been going on for most of October.

Check list:

1. Limiting TV's to 3 in Penang.

2. Air tickets required to get extensions.

3. Extensions being outright refused by some Immigration Offices.

What's next?

The writing is definitely on the wall for long-stay "tourists".

well no cos youd need that ticket anyways so its not a problem just book 30 days earlier!

Agreed, but maybe they are looking for a ticket to your home country?

then it would be real serious business .

I do not think they can force this , cause maybe you really are just a longterm tourist ,

who wants to travel for example Vietnam next , would be impossible to force this .

But never know though TIT .

well no cos youd need that ticket anyways so its not a problem just book 30 days earlier!

then it would be real serious business .

I do not think they can force this , cause maybe you really are just a longterm tourist ,

who wants to travel for example Vietnam next , would be impossible to force this .

But never know though TIT .

its just not a problem, they started this at cambodia border and now you can buy a ticket for a bus that you dont even see, dont worry about it even though its frustrating at least we know now!

They can enforce anything they want, yes?

Anyway, the noose is indeed tightening if the reports are true that the consulates/embassies are limiting tourist visas. If thats the case, over time, no way to make all that running around add up to the full year.

They can enforce anything they want, yes?

Anyway, the noose is indeed tightening if the reports are true that the consulates/embassies are limiting tourist visas. If thats the case, over time, no way to make all that running around add up to the full year.

theres ways round it if its done ok you only need go pennang once a year anyways so again nowt to worry about and then theres always plan b!

Britan just the thought is making me wanna stop smoking and puke!

Americans are finding it quite hard to get O visas in the US without very good reasons, at least as reported here. So what is the plan B exactly? It is still yet to be clear what the new rules are about limits on number of tourist visas, whether it is by passport or by the year, etc.

Will a one way to Penang do the trick? If so, consider it another cost of doing business.

All I can say at this stage is that people are getting away with having an unpaid booking on any airline. My visa agent in Pattaya does this as a free service for customers.

It is a problem if, like me, people want to do some 30-day border hops in between tourist visas with extensions. You'd have to pay for a ticket and then pay extra later to change the date.

It's still doable, but what next?

Americans are finding it quite hard to get O visas in the US without very good reasons, at least as reported here. So what is the plan B exactly? It is still yet to be clear what the new rules are about limits on number of tourist visas, whether it is by passport or by the year, etc.

Plan b is britan, ie england, cold miserable place but ok for a visa, now americans no idea but i would think its ok to get a one year from there cos australians do so cant see it bin a prob but never know, theres always laos aswell so no probs!

and then for plan c theres good old fasioned bribary!

which happens to be my fav!

I'll be heading to Penang next week and making a point of speaking with as many visa agents as I can about this.

I spoke with one on the phone today who said there wasn't a problem.

Edited by tropo

Plan b is britan, ie england, cold miserable place but ok for a visa, now americans no idea but i would think its ok to get a one year from there cos australians do so cant see it bin a prob but never know, theres always laos aswell so no probs!

How does that work when you're in the Immigration Office looking for an extension?...or at the border, or airport or Embassy?

I wouldn't recommend trying it. It'll probably do you more harm than good.

How does that work when you're in the Immigration Office looking for an extension?...or at the border, or airport or Embassy?

I wouldn't recommend trying it. It'll probably do you more harm than good.

your quote

"My visa agent in Pattaya does this as a free service for customers" is this 100% legal? would the im police agree with it?

you book a bus you dont see or get on at the borders, is 100% legal? would the im police agree with it?

you pay 100 bhat not to q at the border, is this 100% legal? would the im police agree with it?

i think your worry too much its just not a problem!

cap

cap

For a person not willing to travel all the way back to their home country for the possibitity of obtaining a suitable visa, there are a lot of problems right now.

There is a limit to how much a person will do and spend to stay in Thailand.

For me the limit is getting very close. Right now for me it's around US $1,000 per annum with no certainty.

cap

For a person not willing to travel all the way back to their home country for the possibitity of obtaining a suitable visa, there are a lot of problems right now.

There is a limit to how much a person will do and spend to stay in Thailand.

For me the limit is getting very close. Right now for me it's around US $1,000 per annum with no certainty.

your having what i call a bad Thai day!

i have them everytime i order food!

dont worry tropo, you not new here, it will sort itselfe out mate! just think how gloomy it is back home that should cheer ya up!

dont worry tropo, you not new here, it will sort itselfe out mate! just think how gloomy it is back home that should cheer ya up!

I would say I'm having a "bad Thai year", riding the wave of uncertaintly since October 1 last year.

I would say I'm having a "bad Thai year", riding the wave of uncertaintly since October 1 last year.

same same mate but thats whats good about thai visa everyone helping everyone!

Just come back from Jomtien Immigration office.

I extended my tourist visa (60+30) for another 7 days.

The officer who checked my passport and documents asked for an air ticket (had one to go Penang) and gave me the stamp.

He didn't mention anything else.

Then the other officer who gives back the passports called me. I had to sign every of my documents (couldn't read what was written, because I forgot my glases at home, but it was the first time that I had to sign anything).

Then he said:

"You stay thailand long time. Next time you want extension, you have to show more documents."

I asked him what kind of documents? He told me, documents for working, beeing married or having a condo.

I hope this is only because I extended for another 7 days and not if I want to extend my next TR for another 30 days.

I'm 45, not married, not working, have no condo and live here for about 4 years on TR and 30 day stamps.

Excuse me! A question! Why does it talking about only and always of flight ticket ?

Doesn’t exists other transportation means?

For example the trains or the buses.

I must leave the country within the time period and I not forced to do it by plane.

So a train ticket to neighbour country should be enough.

They must only to deal that I leave the Thailand , towards which country, and by which mean, that’s just my business.

I asked him what kind of documents? He told me, documents for working, beeing married or having a condo. I hope this is only because I extended for another 7 days and not if I want to extend my next TR for another 30 days.

I'm 45, not married, not working, have no condo and live here for about 4 years on TR and 30 day stamps.

You situation sounds a little like mine...except I do own a "farang/thai" company that owns a house in Pattaya. I too have been living in Thailand as an "early" retiree who doesn't work in Thailand but am still about 10 years away from a retirement visa. I have used a combination of visas and entry stamps during this time. I think all of us will have to show more "documents" in the future to basically prove we have the income coming in from outside Thailand to support us so we don't have to work for our visas (Penang) or extensions. I really don't have a problem with this...just hope they are reasonable in enforcing any new regs so that the "good" early retirees can stay without much hassle and hopefully they will cause the other type to move-on.

Excuse me! A question! Why does it talking about only and always of flight ticket ?

I must leave the country within the time period and I not forced to do it by plane.

They must only to deal that I leave the Thailand , towards which country, and by which mean, that’s just my business.

Maybe it's ok to show proof of other transportation. If I were you I'd go down to the Immigration Office and ask well before you go in for an extension.

If you have a double-entry tourist visa and you are extending the 1st entry, do you have to show some type of a ticket, considering you are allowed to go to the border for the re-entry?

And please explain TinuB's post:

Does that mean that you had already extended for 30 days and you were trying to extend again? Or are they only giving a 7 day extension on top of the 60 days.. I have never goten anything but a 30 day extension on my 2 TV entries that I get form Los Angenles Consulate, giving me a total of 6 months before time to Fly again..i hope i can still do this..I never tried to extend past 90 days on one TV entry..

also just checked the Thai Consul LA web page and it says they are still giving maximum 2 entries, i am in la now and will be over there on monday so i'll definently post if they screw me and only let me get 1 entry even though i flew all the way over here ;(

Edited by pkspeaker

Maybe it's ok to show proof of other transportation. If I were you I'd go down to the Immigration Office and ask well before you go in for an extension.

Of course. And in case of negative answer we go back there, with a lawyer.

And please explain TinuB's post:

Does that mean that you had already extended for 30 days and you were trying to extend again? Or are they only giving a 7 day extension on top of the 60 days.. I have never goten anything but a 30 day extension on my 2 TV entries that I get form Los Angenles Consulate, giving me a total of 6 months before time to Fly again..i hope i can still do this..I never tried to extend past 90 days on one TV entry..

It is possible to get a futher extension once you've had a 30 day extension on a tourist visa, but from what I can gather an air ticket has always been a requirement for that unless the person had some unusual circumstances requiring the further extension.

What is new is that they are requiring air tickets to get the first extension now at Jomtien. Whether or not this new requirement is being enforced at other Immigration Offices is still unknown.

You've brought up an interesting scenario i.e. the case of a person having a double or triple entry tourist visa and requiring extensions. It would be best for you to go to an Immigration Office to inquire once you get to Thailand. There will be no point asking the Consulate in LA as they won't know what Immigration Offices in Thailand are doing and they may give you incorrect information.

i am the person that tropo has reported about this. he kicked about 4-5 persons back while i was standing there.

I HAD A PROPER TR VISA WHICH DOES NOT REQUIRE AN AIR TICKET TO ENTER THE COUNTRY, THAT IS WHAT WAS BEING RENEWED.

immigration lemming tossed a number of persons apps back - ticket?? 'air' ticket?? he wouldnt even consider the app even though i had special circumstance to be given at least 7 days and out. no way.

he was a very rude and there were a number of ignorant mishaps as well - new building, same arrogant, ignorant employees. someone should really train these flunkies - the concept is to keep people within the law while they are in the country....

as for 'the cost of doing business, are you mad? adding an air ticket to the b2000 baht a month a currently spend there!!

and for the record, 15 years in Asia - overstay before this week in thailand = 3 days. go home every year - never worked or broke any law, until thai immigration forced me to overstay. i could not possibly up and leave or provide a ticket by days end.

IN FACT THE IMMIGRATION AGENT TOLD ME - YOU GO AIRPORT, YOU PAY, YOU OVERSTAY, YOU PAY...

also....when you go for extention and you buy a ticket 30 days out. how do you know they are not goin gto give you 1-2 weeks??????????? now you have also tossed money away on the extention AND a ticket.

smart money says its over. sure you can spend a few mos a year in THE LAND OF SMILES - but any more.... pressing thy luck.

the 60 day tr has always been 1 extend (30) and rumours are 7 days in emergenc.y - I GOT NEITHER AND MY VISA RAN OUT WHILE IN IMMIGRATION.... THAT is an emergency. they exist soley to keep people within the law.

and as for any small thinking person... i paid same price for overst as visa ext (2000)

maybe ill write about my nightmare day b4 at bam laem !!!!!!!!!!!!!

Edited by h5n1

h5n1, I've only been here a little over a year but on two instances already

I've had an unpleasant experience with the sort of chunky guy wearing glasses.

The rest of the people there are very nice. The two guys who normally do the

paper shuffling in the front as it were. The lady who normally does the cashiering

work. This guy appears to be something of a "floater", both times grilled me

extensively about my visa history and what was I doing in Thailand, as if my

choice to come here confirmed I was indeed a criminal. Unfortunately, with the

Thai system, it only has to be one guy and his reasons are his own. He doesn't like

farangs or he's convinced we're all no-good who knows. They've had this problem

in Nong-khai also but at least they were given the choice of 7-days. Definitely go

early if applying for an extension. Then you have time for alternatives if it goes bad. :o

h5n1, please do tell us of your ban laem adventures, if that is where you went.

Without time to even pack, I'm not sure what else you could have done.

Edited by cali4995

:o That would be not a good thing. However the requirement for arrival with no visa (stamp on arrival) has always been confirmed air-ticket out of the country, not return to your "home' country (whatever that is). I expect any ticlet out-of country will work.

:o

went for 30-day extension today at Suan Phlu on t.v. (4th in a row), asked oif I could get another t.v. in Vientiane and the lady said "no problem". Now I know it may be a problem, but as yet I don't detect any real tightening of screws on t.v's and the odd visa-run. Day by day for sure, but thought I'd let you know.