Air Tickets To Get 30 Day Tv Extensions At Jomtien

Thai logic,

So if i´m under 50 years of age, singel, and doesn´t need to work cos I got a shitload of money, Thailand doesn´t want me here as a tourist? THEN WHO THE ###### DO THEY WANT?

The illegal workers doesn´t get much affected with this new regulation, it´s the honest one´s that does!

I waded through all the October threads to see if someone had posted about this already, but surprisingly no one has.

30-day extensions on Tourist Visas will now NOT be given at the Jomtien Immigration Office unless air tickets are shown. Without an air ticket, they will only give a 7-day extension.

Apparently this has been going on for most of October.

Check list:

1. Limiting TV's to 3 in Penang.

2. Air tickets required to get extensions.

3. Extensions being outright refused by some Immigration Offices.

What's next?

The writing is definitely on the wall for long-stay "tourists".

Hmmm. Anyone with a tourist visa seems to be "better off" than people with a 3-month non-immigrant multiple entry: I tried to get a 30-days extension in order to avoid a visa-run (I had a flight reservation for 1st arrival + 120 days). The immigration officer just crossed out "30 days" and replaced it with "7 days", commenting "... you have a good visa; you can get another 90 days anytime at any border crossing...". When I "objected" and said that I'd rather pay him/them THB 1,900 for an extension instead of sitting in a minivan and going off to Cambodia, he just shrugged... I mentioned the flight date but didn't produce the ticket -- maybe that was a major mistake...

He seemed to have a bad day; I couldn't get rid of the feeling that had I talked to another officer, I would have gotten the extension... Needless to say I did my visa run and got my 90 days (60 of which I didn't need)... :o

Thai logic,

So if i´m under 50 years of age, singel, and doesn´t need to work cos I got a shitload of money, Thailand doesn´t want me here as a tourist? THEN WHO THE ###### DO THEY WANT?

The illegal workers doesn´t get much affected with this new regulation, it´s the honest one´s that does!

Check out the Philippines, Cambodia, or Argentina. No, they don't want you. I guess we can't make them.

on friday i fot a 30 day extension at jomtien immigration.

i turned up with a photocopy of passport and photocopy of visa page. but no airline ticket. converstaion went like this;

"you have airline ticket"

"er...no"

"you must have airline ticket, you want 7 day?"

"er...no, i want a 30 day extension"

"go buy airline ticket"

"ok. er...is a plane ticket to udon thani ok? i want to go to laos"

"yes no problem, but can go pattaya nong khai by bus. you show bus ticket"

now im not sure if a Udon Thani airline ticket would be accepted but he told me it would. i bought a bus ticket instead. while i was waiting for my passport they started telling others,

"you must show air ticket or bus ticket"

the bus station to buy tickets for laos is located at the end of pattaya klang on suhkimvit road, in the petrol station.

*edit* the price of a ticket is a little over 500 baht.

Edited by kopite

I´ve talked around abit about this with different visa-agents in Pattaya and came up with a solutions for those that plan to go to Cambodia after their 30 day extension has ran out, without having to buy anything then that cambodia visa-run ticket you are to use anyway.

Tho, i´m not sure if posting and recomending a certain companys name is ok for the board rules, so i will have to ask you to PM me if you want more details, until i now its ok to post that information that is...

This is all a bit confusing to me and am hoping someone can clear it up??? I have a double entry tourist visa and want to extend the first entry (arrived sept 26th) for 30 days... I have an air ticket out of the country in March... After I use of both entries and 2 extensions... Will this air ticket suffice or should I take a bus ticket to show im going to the cambodian border to obtain my next (2nd of double entry) 60 days in December??? Thank U in advance!!!

Anyone got a real handle on why they are doing this and just what they hope to achieve ? I have no idea.

They want to make it difficult to stay "long time" on tourist visas and 30 day stamps.

I've seen some figures to show that Russian tourists are now number one in Pattaya. Apparently over 1/2 million arrived in the first 2/3rds of this year and it's increasing at a phenominal rate. Last year the increase was almost 40% over 2005. If this growth keeps up, Russian will become the predominant language in Pattaya.

I would say they want to concentrate on "short time" tourists rather than "long time" tourists with dubious intentions. Thailand obviously feels confident they can improve income from tourism in the long run by eliminating the fringe types.

To that end they're doing a very good job.

ringe types.

Fringe types? Young people with money enough to retire early. Sounds like pretty desirable and successful people to me.

A couple of Yokels from Chernobyl? So they're not fringe?

Amazing Thailand.

By fringe types I'm referring to people who are working illegally in Thailand on tourist visas. I'm referring to what Thailand would consider fringe, not my personal opinion.

Thai logic,

THEN WHO THE ###### DO THEY WANT?

They don't want anyone! They just want money! Thais love money!

Everyone loves money. It's not a Thai peculiarity.

You may like to consider how farangs would feel if for example thousands of Koreans, Japanese etc suddenly inundated their home town.

This very same thing happened in a major tourist resort city in Australia (Gold Coast City) in the late 1980's. The Japanese nearly took over the city, buying everything they could get their hands on. I can tell you that the Australians were not too happy about it...I was one. These were well-to-do Japanese businessmen, a far cry from all the tattooed, scruffy people that Thailand attracts.

I'm not happy that we are made to feel unwelcome in Thailand, but I certainly can understand it.

Farangs can't buy land here. Not such a great comparison, eh?

You're nitpicking, eh?

I'm talking about a mass inundation of a foreign race/culture. Whether or not they were buying land or just renting was not the main point, and I didn't even mention land.

In Thailand they can buy condos, eh? How many condos do you think are owned by foreigners in Pattaya?

You may like to consider how farangs would feel if for example thousands of Koreans, Japanese etc suddenly inundated their home town.

This very same thing happened in a major tourist resort city in Australia (Gold Coast City) in the late 1980's. The Japanese nearly took over the city, buying everything they could get their hands on. I can tell you that the Australians were not too happy about it...I was one. These were well-to-do Japanese businessmen, a far cry from all the tattooed, scruffy people that Thailand attracts.

I'm not happy that we are made to feel unwelcome in Thailand, but I certainly can understand it.

Happens all the time in the SW of the USA. Even towns clear across the country are being overrun by Mexicans. Some legal, but I would bet at least 50% in the country illegally after sneaking across the border.

Russian will become the predominant language in Pattaya.

And also the import crime.

Stop badmouthing about Russians! You don't know any Russiansm more likely, and just type whatever falls in your head. Yes, there are LOT of Russians in Pattaya, and most of them are short-term tourists. It's not our fault that tourist agencies sell Pattaya and Phuket as only destinations with rare exclusions.

Russian families and guys who stay here long time, even thought on tourist visas, are ok. They aren't criminal, just wealthy or hard-working enough to live here.

In newspapers and on TV there are no reports about Russians done something bad, only as about victims. But about British or other guys such news I see all the time... drunken fight or whatever. And I don't say right away that all British are scandal guys and alcoholics, why judge by few examples?

Russians speak English better than thais and believe me, they read this board. So don't be stupid and don't write things that can give some of us wrong, undesirable opinion.

In newspapers and on TV there are no reports about Russians done something bad, only as about victims. But about British or other guys such news I see all the time... drunken fight or whatever. And I don't say right away that all British are scandal guys and alcoholics, why judge by few examples?

Russians speak English better than thais and believe me, they read this board. So don't be stupid and don't write things that can give some of us wrong, undesirable opinion.

Sorry, but you are wrong. There have been occasional crimes (in the Thai press), committed by Russian gangs robbing banks in Pattaya. But yes, most Russians are law-abiding tourists.

Funnily enough though, I was once called 'Rus-sia' at a shopping mall in Bangkok by two different girls in their twenties, while wearing formal clothes (long-sleeve shirt, pants, necktie), even though I don't look a bit 'Russian', except maybe for my dark hair. Whether these two girls, accompanied by their Thai partners meant it negatively or positively who knows...

Edited by 7

In any major city in Europe (London, Paris, Brussels, Rome, Munich, Frankfurt, etc.) you can see all year round hordes of Japanese, and possibly also Korean tourists. Do the locals dislike them? Not that I know of. On the contrary. I myself was often approached by Japanese tourists there who asked me to take photos of them, or show them how to use an ATM(!!)

Edited by 7

• 2 weeks later...

Just a warning here.

A person I know this week went down to the Jomtien Immigration Office to get a 30 day extension on his tourist visa. He was unaware of the new requirement to show proof of onward travel.

He paid his 1,900 and received 7 days. They didn't even mention to him that he would not get 30 days.