Pattaya Pride! Pattaya Has Arrived.

Jingthing

The fact is that Pattaya is a 'country within a country' and certainly not considered a normal part of Thailand to many people, Thai and Farang alike.

Another cliche from a holiday maker - certainly same can be said about Bangers. :o

Hasn't Harry lived in Thailand for years while you come on the occasional hioliday?

Yep, this is my home and resent people calling it a shithole, someone of BMs stature on these forums should know better.

• Replies 164
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

The fact is that Pattaya is a 'country within a country' and certainly not considered a normal part of Thailand to many people, Thai and Farang alike.

Another cliche from a holiday maker - certainly same can be said about Bangers. :o

Hasn't Harry lived in Thailand for years while you come on the occasional hioliday?

Yep, this is my home and resent people calling it a shithole, someone of BMs stature on these forums should know better.

Yes I agree. :D

There are a lot more sex-workers in Bangkok than Pattaya and the klongs are not exactly sparkling clean.

Traffic/Smog/Crime - heaps more abound in Bangers. Oh then you have those hi-so types running amuck.

The true thailand is up north if the truth be told. I'm sure we can all agree on that??? :o

There are a lot more sex-workers in Bangkok than Pattaya and the klongs are not exactly sparkling clean.

Traffic/Smog/Crime - heaps more abound in Bangers. Oh then you have those hi-so types running amuck.

The true thailand is up north if the truth be told. I'm sure we can all agree on that??? :o

The true Thailand is everywhere. From the rice paddies to the go-go bars and everything in between. It's all got it's place. :D

Yeah, but most of the people wear shirts on Silom.

Silom/Bangkok isn't a beach resort town. Go check out what people on beach holidays wear, anywhere.

Personally I don't really care what people wear; life is not a fashion contest, especially not after retirement, after officially stepping out of the rat-race, and after having purchased a loud motorcycle.

At this point one is allowed to stop worrying about wearing a well starched collared shirt & tie.

( :o )

Edited by Sanpatong

BTW, I agree with the magazine.

I am feeling something in the air these days in Pattaya. And I don't mean that katoey picking my pocket. It feels like a boom town and I think its future is very bright.

I think you forgot one boom in your post :o

Silom/Bangkok isn't a beach resort town. Go check out what people on beach holidays wear, anywhere.

Personally I don't really care what people wear; life is not a fashion contest, especially not after retirement, after officially stepping out of the rat-race, and after having purchased a loud motorcycle.

At this point one is allowed to stop worrying about wearing a well starched collared shirt & tie.

Thailand is a one huge "rat race." The worst rats are in Pattaya-Jomtien. "Stepping out of the rat race" is precisely what most of us thought we were doing decades ago. But the rats have grown large along with the city.......big, greedy, conservative rats. And they are all over the place--Thai and farang.

Thailand is a one huge "rat race." The worst rats are in Pattaya-Jomtien. "Stepping out of the rat race" is precisely what most of us thought we were doing decades ago. But the rats have grown large along with the city.......big, greedy, conservative rats. And they are all over the place--Thai and farang.

A bit like that other s*it hole.............TEXAS. :D

( :D )

A bit like that other s*it hole.............TEXAS. :bah:

Now you have gone too far.........insulting the Great Nation of Texas........how could you? :o How insensitive! :D How outrageous! :D How, how, how....true in many ways. :bah::D But we still have great BBQ and Mexican food.

BTW, I agree with the magazine.

I am feeling something in the air these days in Pattaya. And I don't mean that katoey picking my pocket. It feels like a boom town and I think its future is very bright.

I think you forgot one boom in your post :o

:D 55555

I am all about compromise. How about this:

A boom, boom boom city. (Sounds really loud.)

I ain't denying the sexual aspect of Pattaya. I also ain't denying the sexual aspect of every other city in Thailand, are you?

Edited by Jingthing

when I can visit Patters and feel like I've not walked into a late 70's and early 80's time warp seeing men in bad fashions I might believe you.

If I can walk about Patters and not get a one 'hi mister' I might believe you.

If I can go to the beach there and not see one speedo wearing, fat gutted bloke, I might believe you

If I can leave Patters and not feel like I have to disinfect myself, I might beleive you.

I dearly wish that what the big chilli magazine was claiming to be true, but it is not quite there yet.

If you dont indulge in the sleaze then you wont need to disinfect yourself - or is it a case of OCD (do you know your avatar is autistic?)

Edited by pointofview

I was going to post on this topic hours ago. I've only just recovered from fainting after reading pattaya described as:

a. cosmopolitan

b. sophisticated

c. normal

my personal favourite was 'sophisticated'. :o

I'm not bashing the place - I think pattaya is ok for a few days (no more :D ) - but IMO bkk is so much better and probably closer to the descriptions above.

I never said Pattaya is normal. That would be boring: cosmopolitan, sophisticated people have no great love of so-called normality. Also, I have already well demonstrated that Pattaya is cosmopolitan based simply on the international demographics of both the tourists and the residents here. As I said before, the diversity of the restaurant scene here now rivals Bangkok, and with some ethnic categories is already way superior. Pattaya is much weaker on the sophistication front, but I believe the gears are in place for that to improve as well. But not much, people here like to live in an urban beach resort, just how sophisticated would you want that to be?

For those Pattaya bashers out there, please restrain yourselves unless you have recently spent more than a few days here and really explored the totality of this newly regenerated, large cosmolitan city, rather than parking your arse for walking-street style two days at a tourist oriented beachfront beer bar/house of earthly delights and Isaan cultural education. If thats your impression of Pattaya, that would be like a stupid tourist to San Francisco who thinks San Francisco is like honky tonk Fisherman's Wharf. Frankly, by bashing and falsely stereotyping Pattaya like many here do, I think this reflects more on your own psychological state than the reality of what modern, cosmopolitan, world-famous Pattaya is today.

Edited by Jingthing

I never said Pattaya is normal. That would be boring: cosmopolitan, sophisticated people have no great love of so-called normality. Also, I have already well demonstrated that Pattaya is cosmopolitan based simply on the international demographics of both the tourists and the residents here. As I said before, the diversity of the restaurant scene here now rivals Bangkok, and with some ethnic categories is already way superior. Pattaya is much weaker on the sophistication front, but I believe the gears are in place for that to improve as well. But not much, people here like to live in an urban beach resort, just how sophisticated would you want that to be?

For those Pattaya bashers out there, please restrain yourselves unless you have recently spent more than a few days here and really explored the totality of this large cosmolitan city, rather than parking your arse at a tourist oriented beachfront beer bar/house of earthly delights and Isaan cultural education.

Interesting........assumption is that "bashers" are totally unaware and have little understanding of the place. Once gain: IMHO, Pattaya-Jomtien is a cesspool.....if it makes you feel better, I will call it a sophisticated, cosmopolitan cesspool. I should know........I first came there in 1986 and have spent many years there. I do not like that changes........it is now people polluted and the quality of the people has radically changed from good/liberal/interesting to bad/conservative/boring. It has become like the place I wanted to get away from........a strange version of it. What I liked about it is gone. Much of what I liked about Thailand is gone. Those with a long-term perspective will agree or disagree (depending on whether or not they have real estate for sale or are stuck here because of financial reasons). As a retirement destination, I would never consider it.

BKK/Patters fits neither A or B.

Depends where you hang out, if you go around in your shorts and t-shirt while your in the city you exclude yourself any way. i agree with on Pattaya though, it's neither cosmopolitan or sophisticated.

Stick to Pattaya guy's, your better suited to it.

Depends where you hang out, if you go around in your shorts and t-shirt while your in the city you exclude yourself any way.

Disagree with u there mate, seen quite a few people in Bangers at some of the finer restaurants wearing shorts/tees. :o

Depends where you hang out, if you go around in your shorts and t-shirt while your in the city you exclude yourself any way.

Disagree with u there mate, seen quite a few people in Bangers at some of the finer restaurants wearing shorts/tees. :D

With there rented wife too? :o

also bear in mind that there is much that we that live in pattaya dislike and cant change - but accept because that part of the price of living there. theres loads to dislike about chang mai imo and bkk as well.

also, many of us are educated, well traveled and know thailand well but choose a casual/beach lifestyle. we have nothing to prove to anyone with fancy fake brand shirts and watches and tossing around money at nana.

my 'home' has always been near the beach so why would i change this??? while i can get myself around bkk and many of the great cities of the world just fine... the thought of wearing long pants in thailand when i would only wear them to work -or two (coldEST) months a year at home - thats not me. take me away from the beach for a few months and im unsettled. could it be a more quiet/different place like ban sare? sure, but it doesnt have that certain insanity that is pattaya.

if you dont get it, i understand. there is lots to dislike about the place. but it is really quite surreal in every sense of the word. 300k people in a theatre of the absurd. i only wish there was not as much foreigner/thai crime, cleaner beach, less dirty traffic and they would pick up the trash more often

ps: the bar girls are not any hotter in bangkok. i blew thru there on a visa run a week ago and once again throughly confirmed this.

its not for the timid or meek, its for players - much as all you folks think you are all that up in bkk. thermae1 shut its doors years ago and who knows about staroflight2 in patpong but those were bangkoks better years to be sure. it was exciting and extremely dodgy and even if you were only out for a beer and nothing more - it was an adventure. after 8 years of living on-off in pattaya every evening out is an adventure and throughly unpredictable

Edited by h5n1

h5, that was excellent and I totally agree. Pattaya may not be sophisticated, but people would really be surprised at how many worldly, sophisticated residents and tourists Pattaya attracts. And the people watching! It is really world class! The only better people watching place I have ever seen is Ibiza in high season.

Frankly, by bashing and falsely stereotyping Pattaya like many here do, I think this reflects more on your own psychological state than the reality of what modern, cosmopolitan, world-famous Pattaya is today.

Yes, I just did a search on youtube and found out exactly what Pattaya is world famous for....

Frankly, by bashing and falsely stereotyping Pattaya like many here do, I think this reflects more on your own psychological state than the reality of what modern, cosmopolitan, world-famous Pattaya is today.

Yes, I just did a search on youtube and found out exactly what Pattaya is world famous for....

Hmmm.

Why watch videos when you can feel the real deal?

Some of you just refuse to get it. The sexy/racy part is of course an important part of the new Pattaya and it ain't going away and very few people here, Thai or foreign, want it to. Its just that it does not tell the entire story of Pattaya, anymore than the prostitution in Las Vegas or Bangkok tells the entire story of Las Vegas or Bangkok.

Edited by Jingthing