Penang Trip Report !

Hello,

Just back from the trip to Penang.There's an Non-B update for you guys.Now you need to produce the ministry of labour's confirmation letter regarding your approval of workpermit before you could apply for a NON-B there.

As for my trip,I booked AirAsia by internet.Flight leaves 10AM.They are located at Bangkok International Airport Terminal 1.Their plane is ok.Flight was smooth.But bad landing. :o

I took Taxi from Penang airport to Chulia Street.It did cost 28RM.I went straight to NJ books,they are a shop ALL in 1,money changers,tour operators to everywhere in Malaysia,giving motorbikes for rent,booking your trip back to Hatyai and several thai cities from Malaysia by bus and THai visa service.The service charge is 20RM.and the express service (sameday) is 70 RM.He told me that for a NON-B,ministry letter is necessary now.

Penang is a pleasant change from the thai atmosphere if you are stuck in thailand for a long time.It's great for shopping as everything's there is so cheap including hotels, food,everyday stuffs,clothing,wearing and specially cheap pirated DVDs and computer CDs.It was amazing,YOu get the latest movie's DVD just for RM 5 :D ,all new movies were present.And you can't find them in Thailand.I bought Spiderman 2,the collaterol,The PUnisher,A Man Apart.and computer mp3 latest albums.The Place was Prangin MALL,beside KOMTAR.It also has several wireless LAN hotspots.There are many great shopping malls but goods are so cheap.Including One Stop Midland complex,Prangin Mall,Komtar etc.etc.The Bus 93 and 202 gets you everywhere in the city and it's last stop is Batu Feringi beach.You can get on the bus from Chulia Street outside Mohammad's shop,or at Komtar.Komtar is 10 minutes walking distance from Chulia.and Prangin Mall is beside it.I stayed at E and A budget hotel for 38RM/night ,airconditioned room with attached bathroom.But don't expect a 4 or 3 star quality room.The rooms are small but very clean.I m satisfied with it.

According to AirAsia schedule,the day you get visa at around 2 PM,you can't return on the same day.But if you wanna return the same day,there's a great alternative now.As I did.After you get your passport 2PM,you get the last van from penang to Hatyai leaving at 3PM,also from Mohammad's shop.You can buy ticket from him,20RM.The van travel to Hatyai is around 3 hours.and then taking Nokair's flight leaving from Hatyai to Bangkok at 9:15PM.1 hour 15 minutes flight.Ticket costing around 898 Baht w/o taxes if you book your fight as earlier as 1 month.I booked on last moment i.e. before 1 day my travel,so i got the rate 1198 w/o taxes.Flight is great,just like flying Thai airways.

Overall,I will highly recommend penang as a shopping and relaxing destination for 2 or 3 days.The Malaysians r very friendly and love to guide people.Whatever and Wherever you are,if you need to ask something ,you can ask anyone,and he/she will surely help you.The shopkeepers are great,although it's not possible to bargaining prices too much,as they are already very cheap,but u can still save some ringgits,depending on your barganing skills.English is spoken all over the places.So don't worry about language problem.

Many thanks to all previous posters.