Another Post On Buying Land

Moe

I've just heard that there is a plot of land just over 1 rai for sale smack bang in the middle of my wife's village in Surin for circa 50k to 60k. The land has access to electricity and is chanote land title.

I live down south and so am a bit out of the loop on prices in Surin so I'd like to ask some of the TV members who have lived up that way whether they feel this is a decent price.

My interest in this plot is purely for investment purposes, not to hang on to forever thai style, so would only purchase if I thought I could get a decent resale any time in up to ten years.

My intital thinking is that land in a tiny and poor issan village is not going to apreciate much but maybe there are others who know something I don't?? Have land prices been increasing up there over the years and if so is this a decent investment?

Cheers for any input.

Without knowing the village or Surin for that matter I would have thought that this was a good buy.

Few outsiders move into Thai villages out in the sticks though. Usually as families join together and expand they look to buy land close to relatives.

Land smack bang in the centre of the village may serve as a good location for a little convenience shop or garage etc, so may turn out to be quite easy to resell. The price you get for the re-sale in the future will depend on how badly someone wants the land. In my opinion it sounds OK, (I take it that the land is level and has no pool/pond in the middle).

Buy it, fence it off cheaply with either cement posts and barbwire or bamboo, add a little soil if necessary and leave it. I'm sure given its location someone will be interested in buying it if they haven't already.

Nick.

That's a very good price, (depending on location). Surin is expanding rapidly, however I doubt it will have much of a re-sale price unless (as posted above) somebody really wants to buy it. IE another farang who marries another girl from the sale village.

Where I stay on ban theep thani the price of land there is 2 million per rai. Which, is extremely expensive for most areas of thailand, let alone a housing estate on the ring road to Cambodia!

John.....

I agree good price from your location description BUY IT

Hi Mac,

That land is a good deal, i also think he should snap it up quick, do not mention Ferrang thow, as the price will go up.

Do you know where i planted the eucas, the land next door has come up for sale, bank sign on the plot, 2 rai, last Monday it was 510,000, wed, it went down to 400,000, wife rang the bank and gave them a firm offer, today new sign up 510,000 is this bank crazy or what, the way these people work sometimes are beyond me.

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Moe.

These two plots are only 4 clicks outside Buriram on a concrete road, i paid 200,000 for the one plot 16 months ago,

My advise is to buy the land, or tell me where and i will buy it :o

Edited by Thaicoon

My wife bought 3/4 of a rai of land within her village in December 2006. The plot has road access running across the front of the land and easy access to electric and water - less than 25 meters away. The land has full title (chanote) too. She paid 70,000 baht which was about 20,000 too much. However, the land adjoins her parents land (and house) and the seller was all too aware of the location and the farang connection. It cost about 40,000 baht to raise the land by about one meter. The adjacent plot is also for sale by the brother of the lady who sold the first plot. He wants 100K for his identically sized plot but is prepared to drop to 90K. My wife has politely declined his offer. There is a similar plot for sale within the village, already made-up, and that is for sale at 70,000 baht. Her village is about 35 kilometers to the east of Surin.

The price you have been offered is certainly in the right ball park. IMO you are not being overcharged and your wife should realise a profit if she sells in ten years time. However, my guess is that once bought your wife will not want to sell the land.

:o

We live in a small village and just bought another half rai piece of land beside the two rai where our house is. It is on a concrete road and has electric and village water. It has been for sale for several years. The lady owner was asking 90,000 baht for it. About a year ago she dropped the price to 80,000. Apparently the lady owner has a gambling problem and asked again if we wanted to buy it for 75,000. I told my wife to tell her that we had no need for it but would give 70,000. After she moaned and groaned for a long time, she accepted the offer.

Speaking to Thai's and knowing the situation with our own land in Ubon I would say land purchase is safer than buying houses in Thailand. Nothing really is a sound investment in Thailand but Land is as good as it gets IMHO.