Polypropylene White Seats Have Gone Grey :(

simon43

The white plastic seats at my hotel have gone a dirty grey colour after a year of use (outside). I've tried cleaning them but the grey colour seems not to be dirt, so presume it's due to the sun etc.

Is there anything that can be done to restore their white colour - other than a coat of white paint!?

Simon

The white plastic seats at my hotel have gone a dirty grey colour after a year of use (outside). I've tried cleaning them but the grey colour seems not to be dirt, so presume it's due to the sun etc.

Is there anything that can be done to restore their white colour - other than a coat of white paint!?

Simon

Bleach?

Guest jonzboy

imho this cannot be fixed, it's a degradation of the material, not a stain

my recommendation, don't buy white outdoor furniture

I had white chairs and table, and left them outside in the sun. They also went grey after a year or so and - much worse - they became brittle. So brittle in fact that they eventually disintegrated and were quite dangerous if you leant back on them. So I think you need to throw them away and buy some better quality ones. I hope you don't have a hotel full of them! :o

The raw material used for the production should contain a certain amount of UV stabilizer (umongst other chemical ingredients).

Unfortunately this stuff is expensive and the customers are most of the time not willing to pay the price.

OK, this is generally what I thought. I'll go shopping and buy some more. I guess it's going to be an annual expense (but not so bad at about 250 baht per chair or table). I need 20 chairs and 10 tables = 7,500 baht.

Simon

OK, I could buy more expensive white chairs. But what guarantee do I have that these will not also go grey? Do you think the word of a salesperson is worth anything? I think the only answer is to buy wooden chairs. But that is an expensive route to go down...

Simon

OK, this is generally what I thought. I'll go shopping and buy some more. I guess it's going to be an annual expense (but not so bad at about 250 baht per chair or table). I need 20 chairs and 10 tables = 7,500 baht.

Simon

Don't forget to check the "maximum load" on the chairs' labels. The ones I got from Big C had a max load of 70 or 80 Kg, if I recall correctly.