Red Plates

coventry

When first getting your new motor one gets issued with red plates as I remember. I got stopped by the Keystone Cops and was made to pay a fine for not carrying a book that should have been given to me by the dealer for use with red plates. Anyway being as I'm due to take delivery soon of a new motor I asked the question regarding the said book. I was told that they would not give me one. My questions are " will I be made to pay this fine again if stopped ?" and "is it obligitory that the dealer issues this book on collection of the motor ?"

> I was told that they would not give me one. My questions are "

> will I be made to pay this fine again if stopped ?"

Would do you think? The answer is probably yes.

> and "is it obligitory that the dealer issues this book on collection of the motor ?"

The dealer "should" give you the book along with the red plates, the book shows that road tax has been paid by the dealer as an interim until you have paid your own road tax.

You should carry details of the insurance cover as well.

I got stopped by the Keystone Cops and was made to pay a fine for not carrying a book that should have been given to me by the dealer for use with red plates.

I believe he is referring to the book that is used to log your travel information while driving with the red plates and not the tambian lort (registration book). Normally needed to enter into it when you leave the province and possibly other information.

To my knowledge it is illegal to drive a car with red plates at night other than in the province that the car was registered.

However a few months ago I brought a car in BK and drove it back to my home in CM with red plates ,have driven it at night and never been stopped.

With regard to "The Book", we were given one and told that we must log any journeys we are making, we have only bothered to do it once, because we have been through many checkpoints and never been asked to show it.

The sales person who was involved in the transaction sad she had been driving on her red plate for over a year , just for posing purposes and many Thais do the same!!!

I think if they dont have the book the plates may not be legal ones and there are not enough to cover new cars purchased with some dealers. I got stopped on red plates and made to pay a fine because I hadn't filled in the log in the book at the start of the journey! If I had done every time I drove it before getting the white ones it would have need to be the size of a phone book, but that was the rule I was told when stopped.

I never had a problem with the red plates on our D-Max. Registered in Korat, picked up in Nang Rong, driven up and down to Pattaya and Bangkok and all around Pattaya. Been stopped, been Bt100'd but for speeding.

The book is specific to the plates and can be many years old. Red cover. Ours was way over 10 years old with all the other vehicles in it. No book, you should have. Insurance, you should have.

Actually got stopped less on the red plates !

It is NOT illegal to drive a car with red plates at night other than in the province that the car was registered. Info provided by Toyota Thailand.

WCA

It most certainly is still illegal to drive a car on red plates between sunset and sunrise but enforcement of this law is no longer strict.

It is also illegal to leave the province, again, rarely enforced these days.

Phuket Land Transport Office

Seems Toyota Thailand (where I am working) against Phuket Land Transport Office. Since the last 2 years not only ONE of our customers had a complain with us concerning the red plate.

WCA

Seems Toyota Thailand (where I am working) against Phuket Land Transport Office.

sums up the entire show in a nut-shell .

be kind of nice to know the laws BEFORE your accused of breaking them .

amazing Thailand .