6 Hour Layover In Tokyo - Do I Have Time To Do Anything?

DeathbyDurian

A few weeks ago I posted a thread asking if it would be worth my while/possible to explore Narita during my 6 hour layover in the Tokyo/Narita airport. Some said "go for it" while others said "no way!" Here is a link to that thread:

http://www.thaivisa.com/forum/index.php?sh...143625&st=0

Well, I am back from my trip and happy to say that 6 hours is way more than enough time to explore Narita and enjoy some Japanese culture. Here is my trip report:

2PM:

Landed at Narita. Immigration line looked long but was moving fast so I jumped into the queue. Line took about 20 minutes to reach the front. Immigration didn't say a word to me, just looked at my arrival form, put the stamp in my passport and let me through. I was phisically at the desk less than 30 seconds.

2:30PM:

Followed well posted signs down to the train station, approached the ticket counter. Said 'Narita', paid for a ticket and was told what track to go to.

2:40PM

Train arrives and I hop on.

post-20031-1193300593_thumb.jpg

3:00PM

Two stops later I am on the street in Narita with 5 hours left until my plane leaves.

3-3:30PM

Meander down the main road past a lot of restaurants and shops selling touristy things. Here is a McDonalds that I saw and a shot of the street.

post-20031-1193299654_thumb.jpg post-20031-1193299716_thumb.jpg

Made my way to Daihonzan Naritasan Shinshoji Temple which is at the bottom of the street.

post-20031-1193299697_thumb.jpg

3:30-4:30PM Wandered around the park. Looked at lots of pagodas, temples and ceremonial statue things I didn't understand. Then took a break on a bench down by a pond in the middle of the park. Beautiful and relaxing place to be. I was tired from the flight though and didn't feel like walking through the whole park - more I could have seen.

post-20031-1193299680_thumb.jpg post-20031-1193299752_thumb.jpg

4:30-5:15PM Bought some keepsakes and gifts for friends and family at the local stores. Then had lunch/dinner at a noodle shop on the way back to the train station. I paid $14 for this chicken/noodle/beer combo, but it was worth it.

post-20031-1193299769_thumb.jpg

5:15-6PM Got back to the train station, took the train back to the airport and began to wander around the 4 story mall they have at the airport.

6-7PM Sat on the rooftop observation deck and had a few cans of beer while watching the planes take off and land.

7PM - Went back through immigration - which took a grand total of 5 minutes (No bags to check and I already had my boarding pass)

8:15PM - Connecting flight to Hawaii leaves.

SO! That was my trip. I could have spent more time in Narita but I wanted to get back to the airport as I didn't know how long things were going to take and didn't want to miss my flight.

All in all I would say that anyone with a 4 1/2-6 hour layover can easily make the trip out to Narita and not be rushed or worried. Easy as pie and well worth it.

Thanks to those who offered helpful suggestions. I also got a lot of good info from mgnewman's Narita Layover page, which you can find by just googling 'Narita layover' - it's the top result.

Edited by DeathbyDurian

• 1 year later...

Hi, I'm going with my family to Vietnam but I'm coming back a week earlier than them on a flight by myself. I have a 9 hour stop-over in Japan, but the thing is I'm a 17 year old girl. Do you think it would be safe for me to leave Japan being a young girl who doesn't speak any Japanese? I am of Asian descent so I guess i would kind of mix in with the crowd. And would I require another visa in order to leave the airport?

SO! That was my trip. I could have spent more time in Narita but I wanted to get back to the airport as I didn't know how long things were going to take and didn't want to miss my flight.

All in all I would say that anyone with a 4 1/2-6 hour layover can easily make the trip out to Narita and not be rushed or worried. Easy as pie and well worth it.

I remember this thread, I was among those who said not worth it.

Now that someone is saying again it is doable, it is.

In perspective, it's kind of addventure comparable to leaving Newark airport to explore New Jersey for 4 hours. Featurless and worthless places around Narita. That is where cost-cutting Qantas is lodging their flight crews, like in Nakhon Nowhere.

Oh, it's even less of adventure: Japan is 100% safe.

To the 17-year old girl: don't worry about safety in Japan. It's probably higher than in Singapore.

In perspective, it's kind of addventure comparable to leaving Newark airport to explore New Jersey for 4 hours. Featurless and worthless places around Narita. That is where cost-cutting Qantas is lodging their flight crews, like in Nakhon Nowhere.

Oh, it's even less of adventure: Japan is 100% safe.

To the 17-year old girl: don't worry about safety in Japan. It's probably higher than in Singapore.

As flight crew I will say for the one night we are there it's not bad but not somewhere I would recommend for a holiday and as far as Qantas putting up their flight crew in Narita, well all the airlines do that. I've been flying for over 20 years and worked for 2 airlines and we always over night in Narita and I see nearly every other airline there as well. In fact the hotel we stay at there is Thai, American, Continental, Singapore Airllines and several of the middle east airlines such as the one I work for and when walking through town I see friends from BA/Qantas, Air France and others who are staying at the other Narita Hotels.

Sure It would be great to stay downtown Tokyo, but considering how long we are in Japan which is normally one night it makes sense to keep us at Narita rather than transport the crew downtown. Years ago when I was flying I would have 3/4 days in a destination but these days we are lucky to have 24. Having 36 hours now is a luxury.

as Qantas putting up their flight crew in Narita, well all the airlines do that. I've been flying for over 20 years and worked for 2 airlines and we always over night in Narita and I see nearly every other airline there as well. In fact the hotel we stay at there is Thai, American, Continental, Singapore Airllines and several of the middle east airlines such as the one I work for and when walking through town I see friends from BA/Qantas, Air France and others who are staying at the other Narita Hotels.

Did you mean Narita airport hotels? Almost all world chains have an establishment there. Notoriously inconvenient Narita (65km from the city, 90 mins bus or train, taxi about 300US$) make it almost no choice if time is limited.

The very name "Nari-ta" means rice fields established on the land reclaimed from the forests. You can imagine how far, cheap and inconvenient you have to go to develop the airport for Tokyo, a city 35 million people (like entire Canadian population) call their home?

I was talking actually B&B like small hotels in Narita town (equaly worthless place to visit).

I doubt those hotels cost more than 70$ ( terribly low price for Japan) at corporate or group tour rates. One night that I had to stay there was about that price.

If first time at Narita (or even 3rd) there are enough restaurants that serve authentic Japanese food. Since there is no need to sissify it (as it is with Thai food at Suvarnaphumi restaurants, not to spice it up too much and make foreigners sick) I bet the food is better than anything surronding places outside of the airport have ever seen.

There are no rip-offs in Japan, prices at the airport are what you pay in the city or surrounding townships (nothing like 12 baht can of coke in 7-11 in BKK goes 40 baht at a shop at Suvarnaphumi), same for souvenirs and unique Japanese things just the choice is concentrated and biggger than anywhere in Tokyo. Poor Narita place can only dream to see those shops at the airport that bears it's name.

Edited by think_too_mut