Are There Honest Taxi Drivers In Bkk?

motoyen

Before I came to BKK I read a lot of warnings about crooked taxi drivers and to be honest what I have experienced here has been the exact opposite. Today I was trying to find the Bangkok Garden Apartment. I got off at BTS Chong Nonsri and map in hand I went looking for soi 24. Well I found soi 22 and (TIT) the next street was soi 26. After walking around for a bit and trying to ask the locals I said f-this and got in a taxi and I showed him my map and for the next 15 minutes he drover around trying to find it.

Well he couldn't find it so I told him to forget about it and just take me to the nearest BTS station. He then did something that really surprised me, he said "no find" and reset his meter. At that point there was 74 baht showing on the meter and the trip to the BTS station was another 41 baht. When we got to the station I asked him how much and all he wanted was the 41 baht, so to thank him for his courtesy I gave him 200 baht. I also noticed that he had a long list of hotels/apartments in English and Thai making it easier for farangs to show him where to go and he had a English/Thai dictionary.

I don't know if I am just really lucky but most of my experiences with taxi drivers here in BKK has been a positive one.

Before I came to BKK I read a lot of warnings about crooked taxi drivers and to be honest what I have experienced here has been the exact opposite. Today I was trying to find the Bangkok Garden Apartment. I got off at BTS Chong Nonsri and map in hand I went looking for soi 24. Well I found soi 22 and (TIT) the next street was soi 26. After walking around for a bit and trying to ask the locals I said f-this and got in a taxi and I showed him my map and for the next 15 minutes he drover around trying to find it.

Well he couldn't find it so I told him to forget about it and just take me to the nearest BTS station. He then did something that really surprised me, he said "no find" and reset his meter. At that point there was 74 baht showing on the meter and the trip to the BTS station was another 41 baht. When we got to the station I asked him how much and all he wanted was the 41 baht, so to thank him for his courtesy I gave him 200 baht. I also noticed that he had a long list of hotels/apartments in English and Thai making it easier for farangs to show him where to go and he had a English/Thai dictionary.

I don't know if I am just really lucky but most of my experiences with taxi drivers here in BKK has been a positive one.

Fortunately, you got a good guy. Unfortunately, you gave him way too much. He would've been plenty happy with 100, which is close enough to what he would've earned.

There are plenty of good taxi drivers in Bangkok - on Jor Sor 100 today I heard of one who took a customer to Pattaya, returned back to Bangkok and went home - but his daughter found a wad of banknotes, as well as some important documents and called Jor Sor 100. So after they found out the guy's name, the driver headed back to Pattaya to return everything.

But there are also plenty of bad taxi drivers in Bangkok. I highly recommend everyone note down the taxi license (it's on the inside of every door) - if the taxi driver refuses your fare, call 02 272-5460, 02 698-1144 and report them - that will help get the idiots off the street and warn the others that they must provide good service and operate according to the law.

If you're desperate, though, just leave the door open while you get out a pen and paper or pad - the taxi driver will get the hint very quickly :o

Your lucky and unlucky, lucky you didn't get ripped off and unlucky that he couldn't provide his service in finding your destiation.

Youv'e given far to much in IMHO.

You think 85 baht is too much? Please, the look of gratitude on his face was worth far more than the $2.40.

You think 85 baht is too much? Please, the look of gratitude on his face was worth far more than the $2.40.

You didn't give him 85 baht. You gave him 159 baht on top of 41.

Yes, I know it showed 74 beforehand, but he didn't deliver you to your destination, despite being shown a map as well. Had you even just paid 100 baht, or 115 baht, or even 120 because you don't want the change, the look on his face would've been exactly the same.

And yes, I know it's only $2.40 - and I fully agree good people should be rewarded, but here tipping is usually limited to the loose change. At most, I tip a driver (taxi or otherwise) 100 baht (plus coffee or energy drinks, maybe even food along the way) for trips of 3-4 hours except under very rare circumstances.

Rewarding someone for not getting to your destination, however, is kind of strange.

I guess where I come from we earn more so we tip more. I was rewarding his effort. I could care less what others do here. Here's the map, can you find this place? <a href="http://www.bangkokgarden.com/map.html" target="_blank">http://www.bangkokgarden.com/map.html</a>

It's not a matter of whether you earn more or not - I know the tipping standards in North America too. Would you tip a NY cabbie who couldn't get you to your destination? And even then - in the US you might just tell the cabbie to keep the change and it won't work out to $2.50 - and the fare is significantly more than that in the first place.

Bangkok Garden has been around for years. If you can find Central Rama III you can find Bangkok Garden as they are very near each other. The map isn't that good - but Bangkok Garden is a large complex which every cabbie ought to know, particularly as the expressway runs right by it.

post-15263-1193348896_thumb.jpg

Edited by onethailand

:D About 20 years ago when I lived in BKK for almost 2 years I mistakenly left a pouch with an airline ticket, my passport with Thai visa, and about 200 dollars in cash in a taxi in BKK. Once I realised it was lost, I went to the nearest police station to report the loss. While I was there at the police station the taxi driver showed up with my pouch and all the stuff inside it. He had found it in the back of the taxi, realised it must be mine, and was there to turn it in to the police to see if they could get it to me. I tried to give him a reward for turning it in, but he refused to take my money. He said that it was his duty to return it to me, and he couldn't take a reward for doing what he was supposed to do. I couldn't believe it, but he was serious about not accepting a reward. I finally got him to take 100 baht, but he wouldn't accept more than that. It seems he was a serious Buddhist layman, who didn't think it would be right to profit from someone else's misfortune.

That was unusual, but there are some honest ones out there.

:o

:D About 20 years ago when I lived in BKK for almost 2 years I mistakenly left a pouch with an airline ticket, my passport with Thai visa, and about 200 dollars in cash in a taxi in BKK. Once I realised it was lost, I went to the nearest police station to report the loss. While I was there at the police station the taxi driver showed up with my pouch and all the stuff inside it. He had found it in the back of the taxi, realised it must be mine, and was there to turn it in to the police to see if they could get it to me. I tried to give him a reward for turning it in, but he refused to take my money. He said that it was his duty to return it to me, and he couldn't take a reward for doing what he was supposed to do. I couldn't believe it, but he was serious about not accepting a reward. I finally got him to take 100 baht, but he wouldn't accept more than that. It seems he was a serious Buddhist layman, who didn't think it would be right to profit from someone else's misfortune.

That was unusual, but there are some honest ones out there.

:o

This is one of those things the Thais call tamboon (making merit for their next life). I would imagine that he took the 100 baht so as not to embarrass you.

As you've shown, there are indeed some good cabbies out there.

Your lucky and unlucky, lucky you didn't get ripped off and unlucky that he couldn't provide his service in finding your destiation.

Youv'e given far to much in IMHO.

Yes i do think 85 baht is to much, you never got to your destination plus you uped the level of tipping in a non tipping country thus making it worse for the next man "maybe" , 85 baht is "more" than three hours work for an average Thai in a company like Mc Donalds so i do think you gave a bit to much.

Most taxi drivers are spot on but theres always one woodpecker in the pile ...just try not to flag him down.... :D

On last trip i spent 10 minutes teaching this guy english on a run from Secon Square ...wot me...

but he didnt want to go into Suk Rd at On nut (busy)and asked if I would mind jumping off at the big Carr 4 ...no problem...so he switched off the meter....and korp k...k........nice bloke ....most of "em are.... :o

There are many good taxi drivers out there.

The bad ones always loiter outside hotels/tourist spots. Criminals posing as taxi drivers is what they are.

They don't want to give locals a ride and just sit and wait untill they can find a "first time visitor' to Thailand....then try to cheat.

Never, ever use a taxi parked outside the hotel.

The big question I have is why do the police and hotel staff allow this to continue, year after year?

I would have probably given a generous tip as well. A gratuity is intended to be an expression of gratitude. You were grateful and showed it. There is no harm in being generous, particularly when you are pleased with the attitude and effort shown by the worker. If anything, you reinforced the notion that not all farangs are cold and reticent. Besides, you probably made the guy's day. A rather decent return for such a small expenditure.

The story alone, was a good read for me, so you tossed in some additional happiness for me as a bonus. (I estimate a value of 150B, so I reckon that takes care of the "overpayment".)

The bad ones always loiter outside hotels/tourist spots. Criminals posing as taxi drivers is what they are.

They don't want to give locals a ride and just sit and wait untill they can find a "first time visitor' to Thailand....then try to cheat.

The big question I have is why do the police and hotel staff allow this to continue, year after year?

I concur with this post. As a general rule, flag down a moving taxi and at the airport if you're on the departure level, take one that has just dropped off some passengers.

Taxi drivers are a mixed bag. I'd say half are good and fair, the other half rude and sneaky. I despise the ones that use the "no change" thing so they can keep your 100b note. I tip occasionally, and if I do I round up the fare. Do you ever see Thai people tip? Unfortunately the more foreigners tip, the more they expect it and the more greedy they possibly get. Granted they don't earn much, but if Thai people (rich or poor) pay the stated fare and only foreigners tip, might that lead to an inbalance of expectations?

As far as honesty is must have dropped a genuine Tag watch in one taxi. Fairly long journey, seemed like a nice driver. Never got that watch handed in. Second time, with my wife and son, some baby products in the boot of the car. Again, seemed like a nice driver, left some things in the boot. Again, nothing handed in. I've learnt to check and double-check every time now, as the chances of getting something back seem very slim to me.

Because for the police there's less money in stopping it than it letting it continue.

You didn't think this was going on without a backhander to the district police station, did you?

Because for the police there's less money in stopping it than it letting it continue.

You didn't think this was going on without a backhander to the district police station, did you?

when in bkk i use taxi's to go everywhere,if they wont put the meter on dont get in ,i find most do and a 20b tip makes them happy .

I reckon you were spot on. I go along with the value of things being how much they are worth to you. I've had similar experiences and they've really touched me. I can be having a bad day when I just feel like exploding at everything around me, and then someone goes out of their way to show an act of kindness or simple decency and it gladdens my heart. Tipping is not part of my culture unless it's to reward extra effort and your guy showed that.

I guess where I come from we earn more so we tip more. I was rewarding his effort. I could care less what others do here. Here's the map, can you find this place? <a href="http://www.bangkokgarden.com/map.html" target="_blank">http://www.bangkokgarden.com/map.html</a>

It's not a matter of whether you earn more or not - I know the tipping standards in North America too. Would you tip a NY cabbie who couldn't get you to your destination? And even then - in the US you might just tell the cabbie to keep the change and it won't work out to $2.50 - and the fare is significantly more than that in the first place.

Bangkok Garden has been around for years. If you can find Central Rama III you can find Bangkok Garden as they are very near each other. The map isn't that good - but Bangkok Garden is a large complex which every cabbie ought to know, particularly as the expressway runs right by it.

post-15263-1193348896_thumb.jpg

Maybe the OP tipped too generously - but that's a subjective call so everyone will have their own opinion.

BKK Garden is very easy to find - never found a BKK cabbie who didn't know "Soi Naradhiwat 24" when asked - and I lived there for a couple of years :D

Although that soi can also be entered at the eastern end from Sathupradit - in which case it's Soi 19! TiT :o

I reckon you were spot on. I go along with the value of things being how much they are worth to you. I've had similar experiences and they've really touched me. I can be having a bad day when I just feel like exploding at everything around me, and then someone goes out of their way to show an act of kindness or simple decency and it gladdens my heart. Tipping is not part of my culture unless it's to reward extra effort and your guy showed that.

Totally agree. This guy went out of his way to try and help me and I appreciate that. He made my day and I made his. I always will tip what ever I feel is appropriate, regardless of what it does for the next man.

I concur with this post. As a general rule, flag down a moving taxi and at the airport if you're on the departure level, take one that has just dropped off some passengers.

while i agree that you should always flag a moving taxi, i have had my worst taxi experience ever trying to avoid the 60 baht and lineup (more the lineup) and flagging a car from the departure level. not worht it.

I once left my wallet with 20,000bht in the taxi.

The taxi driver found it, returned to my apartment building and asked the security guard to bring him to my room so he could return it to me. I hadn't realized I lost it until the taxi driver rang my doorbell. I was pretty stunned by his honesty.

There are lots of good taxi drivers out there and some very bad ones. I concur with others, always flag down a moving taxi, the ones parked outside hotels and tourist hot spots are the sharks.

I would agree with the posts here commending cab drivers in Bangkok.

Just get one form the steet, ie moving and flag it down, not one that is parked up. Always ask for the meter, if not just get out.

Fot those of us from the uk used to ringing up mini cabs, waitin 45 minutes before some neaderthul in an old Vauxhall turns up and charges 20 quid to go about 5 km Bangkok is a dream for taxis. And try flagging a cab down in central london past 12 at night.

I always tip arounf 20 Baht and drivers seem happy enough with that.

I 'find' only good taxi drivers. Well, had a few grumpy ones (maybe two) over the years. All were honest and one who forgot to turn on his meter for some km wanted me to pay only what the meter showed (I know the usual fare and gave him that).

If you feel good about what you gave him and he did, too, you did not give him too much. I don't think this 'shower of luck' will lead him to rip off people. He will see it for what it was: a nice gesture of a friendly human being.

if i use taxis in thailand i always tip 30-50 baht.

it's less than £1.00 which in uk £1.00 doesn't go very far.

i feel quilty if i tip less than that!

what can you do with 50 bath?

not a lot..i think! :o

50 baht tip??? I tell you what a thai taxi driver gets for 50 baht and that is LUNCH