How Do De-stinkify Sandals?

Wizzard of Oz

I went on a long bus ride south, and found after that, that my sandals are pretty dam_n stinky.

Which also means that now, after wearing them for only a few minutes, my feet get stinky. So I am destined to have sinky feet every day now.

I tried washing the sandals with soap, but to no avail.

Any idea how de-funk my sandals?

I once had a pair like that ,I buried them beside a tree in the garden.

Next morning the Indian maid & her brother were digging them out with a spade.

They insisted ,they had "life" in them yet !

I gave them 5 rupees each for making me laugh !

:o Wiley Coyote

Baking Soda and/or Baby Powder

Yeah someone else mentioned this too. What do you actually do? Just put baking soda over it and leave it there overnight or something

Bin them and buy new ones. Sorry but that's all you can do. That smell is there to stay..

They are pretty new-ish, and weren't cheap. If possible I would prefer not to do this if possible.

Hydrogen Peroxide does the trick everytime. Give them a good soak... bubbles mean the bacteria is dyin.... eewww

You may have to try a few drug stores, but most have it cheap.

Does wonders on the sidewalk in front of the shop too.

It works so well... I wish we could drench the streets of Bangkok with it for one night. :o:D:D

Edited by misterme

Baking Soda and/or Baby Powder

Yeah someone else mentioned this too. What do you actually do? Just put baking soda over it and leave it there overnight or something

Bin them and buy new ones. Sorry but that's all you can do. That smell is there to stay..

They are pretty new-ish, and weren't cheap. If possible I would prefer not to do this if possible.

Baking Soda IS a very good deodorant but it doesn't solve the problem as the smell will return.

OK... here is THE way to deal with the problem... which in fact in not the smell, but the CAUSE of the smell. Bacteria.

Make a 50% vinegar solution and dip the sandals and let soak for 15 minutes. Then rinse in fresh water for a couple of minutes and let dry in the sun. No more bad smell. Not even vinegar smell. Just nice fresh sandals. :D

By the way, this works with scuba wet suits too. Remember, it's OK to pee in your wet suit. (Just be sure not to do it while still on the boat.) When you are 130 ft (40 meters) down and have to 'go,' you have to go... :o

Wet suits get pretty stinky after a couple of days of diving, and this trick is a must when dive-traveling. It's a lot cheaper than the stuff they sell in the dive shops for this purpose.

I think the solution depends on what the sandals are made of. If they are leather or suede, destinkification may be difficult, depending on the volume and saturation of stink molecules. Synthetics, such as nylon, rubber, foam, and other raw materials for space-age footwear, may be more amenable to a good cleaning. I recently destinkified a nice set of foam Teva sandals, using a small brush and some laundry detergent, in two separate vigorous applications. It didn't hurt to give my feet similar treatment.

I think the solution depends on what the sandals are made of. If they are leather or suede, destinkification may be difficult, depending on the volume and saturation of stink molecules. Synthetics, such as nylon, rubber, foam, and other raw materials for space-age footwear, may be more amenable to a good cleaning. I recently destinkified a nice set of foam Teva sandals, using a small brush and some laundry detergent, in two separate vigorous applications. It didn't hurt to give my feet similar treatment.

Maybe it's just your feet need washing? Just a thought. :o

Soak in strong Nitric acid for a few days

Buy a bottle of Dettol. Fill bucket with water, add a few cap fulls of dettol, watch as the water turns milky white with swirls of disinfecting goodness. Soak sandals. Rinse with fresh water. Repeat.

Dettol is wonderfull stuff. Use it all over the place to.

Cheers

Hydrogen Peroxide does the trick everytime. Give them a good soak... bubbles mean the bacteria is dyin.... eewww

You may have to try a few drug stores, but most have it cheap.

Does wonders on the sidewalk in front of the shop too.

It works so well... I wish we could drench the streets of Bangkok with it for one night. :o:D:D

might pay to be careful when using peroxide as if not rinsed off well your feet will bleach to a white of white colour

you could also try a hypochlorite solution like haiter bleach, which also needs rinsing well.

I think you can make florescent glow sticks with peroxide baking soda and mountain dew or silmiliar- good party trick

I went on a long bus ride south, and found after that, that my sandals are pretty dam_n stinky.

Which also means that now, after wearing them for only a few minutes, my feet get stinky. So I am destined to have sinky feet every day now.

I tried washing the sandals with soap, but to no avail.

Any idea how de-funk my sandals?

by fire, my wife incinerates mine once fungi sets in ! :o

Yup, Wittgenstein and Kierkegaard ain't got nothin' on us, sho 'nuff..... :o

On thread, I use the cheap flip-flops. My little kink is I buy them from this local guy who hand carves intricate designs on the top- I like the Japanese wave motif, or the stylized koi fish, etc. They retail for 100 B; last about 2-3 months. He's on the Sunday Walking Street market, on a side soi. I love his sandals.... :D

Yup, Wittgenstein and Kierkegaard ain't got nothin' on us, sho 'nuff..... :D

On thread, I use the cheap flip-flops. My little kink is I buy them from this local guy who hand carves intricate designs on the top- I like the Japanese wave motif, or the stylized koi fish, etc. They retail for 100 B; last about 2-3 months. He's on the Sunday Walking Street market, on a side soi. I love his sandals.... :D

Used to be that the rainy season washed all the toxic residue out of CM residents systems by this time of the year but apparently the absence of significant rainfall this year has had a detrimental effect!

:o