Buying New Computer, Bkk, Singapore Or Usa

stevehaigh

PC you can put in your suitcase if you have something like a good hard case and hope for the best.. How will you bring in a LCD monitor? Hand luggage?

I was at Pantip 2 on Wednesday and just happened to notice the 19” LCD’s were around the 6,000 baht [bought mine over 2 years ago for 12,200baht + Sale Price!!] and the 21/22” were around 12 – 19,000 baht…

Friend of mine bought a 19” LCD in the UK in May as was cheaper then here, but was not allowed on the plane with it, so worked out very expensive as they had to buy another here…

If everything is a lot cheaper in the USA, myself would buy all the PCs hardware there and buy the case here + the monitor…

What happens if something for a USA built PC will not work? Or damaged? Here you can take it back and exchange it..

Myself came to Thailand with my PC as it was a good self built, [4yrs ago] when I plugged it in the 3x HDD + the 2x DVD drives burnt out, I did phone LG here in Thailand as I had the receipt for the DVD Ram writer they exchanged it FREE

I would buy in country you plan to be living. Its not worth the added hassle and concern about the transport. I did it without any problems from LA to BKK a little over 4 years ago but never again. I was lucky my LCD made it because they opened the bag at LAX and did not repack the same way. AT LAX you are not present, unless that has changed, if they decide to open your bag and you will have no way of knowing how they repack.

You can save huge in the USA plus have more freedom of choice. For case, consider the Silverstone SG03. It is small, light, aluminum, designed for 2 120mm fans for good cooling in hot Thailand, and takes desktop components which should meet all of your objectives. Don't let the pictures fool you, this is a compact case the size of 2 shoe boxes. Look at 24" LCD's since they give 1920x1200 resolution and start at just 12K baht in the US. I brought such a PC and 24" LCD each in a checked bag from the US and am forever grateful for doing it.

Warranty is simple. If it is an expensive component, all you need is an address of someone in the US who can forward it back to you in Thailand since the domestic warranty won't. For something inexpensive, use some of the money you saved to replace it and note there is a market on ebay for broken things.

=====================================================

449 SGD - about 10,300 THB

The 2232BW is here 11,150 baht ... not really worth it to haul it from SIN. The old model

226BW is even cheaper ...

Edited by sniffdog

forget about thailand if you want a 24"+ LCD. The LOS is very competitive when it comes to 22" or smaller, but 24" is apparently to expensive to import on large scale hence they cost 2x what they cost in the U.S. SIN has lots of online shops you could check prices on. not sure how to transport a large LCD though... hard suitcase and lots of padding, perhaps...

449 SGD - about 10,300 THB

The 2232BW is here 11,150 baht ... not really worth it to haul it from SIN. The old model

226BW is even cheaper ...

I meant to look at the prices in Funan yesterday but forgot as I bought mine a few months ago now.

Got to agree though - I would not be carrying something so large about for small savings.

not sure about currently ,

however when I built the current box , couple of yrs back ,

Thailand was limited in high-end components ,

eg , I was looking for a P4 @ 3.6 ,

P4 @ 3 was the top of the available range here .

I was going to start a similiar topic myself.

I have a choice of buying a laptop in uk or thailand,iwill be spending an equal amount of time in thailand and the uk,so i can't really say i which country i will be based in.

Prices seem pretty similiar from what i have read,slightly cheaper in thailand but would probably have more peace of mind buying in uk from big retailers than someone in pantip or fortune.

Would the voltage difference be an issue,i would have thought the slightly higher voltage in uk would mean it was better to buy it in the uk than vice versa.

Any other advantages/disadvantges or limitations?

Thx in advance for any advice.

I have a choice of buying a laptop in uk or thailand,... Would the voltage difference be an issue,i would have thought the slightly higher voltage in uk would mean it was better to buy it in the uk than vice versa.

Every laptop / notebook I have ever seen has worldwide power capability. The only item required is a "plug-in adapter" to make the laptop's plug-in fit the electrical socket outlet of the country where you're powering the laptop.

Yankland by far - if you have an addy in usa that u can ship it too - even better prices online. :o

that's what i figured, especially with the weak dollar these days.

steve

Actually, with much of the production in places like Taiwan, the eroding US dollar is going to make these imports, and their parts more expensive in months to come.