How Much For A Village House?

The village house next door my gf's parents is for sale (on the road Udon Thani to Sakhon Nakhon some 40 to 50kms from Udon), asking price 500k, 400 sqm land. It's the normal Thai house: concrete stock/kitchen area downstairs, wooden first floor with open living space and some "rooms" I know the parents place has two "rooms" and this house is bigger.

Many moons ago (at least 15 years) the parents house was built with 200k on existing 400 sqm land.

Possible negociations will start today, we might consequentely visit the place in the next days, I would like to have some input from venarable knowledgeable board members.

A man is trying to sell 200 sqm (10m x 20m) building lots at 100K: 800k a rai :o at the edge of the village, people are asking mad prices around here, I hope they are just dreaming away. Outside the village off road building lots are sold for 150k/rai and up, on paved roads 300k/rai up.

If I value the land at 100k (thus 400k/rai) I wonder 400k for a thai house, 100k too much?

Can a new Thai village house be build with a 400k budget? Or refrased : would it cost less or more than 400k to built a new house

as opposed to buying an existing older house? I am told wood is expensive nowadays.

Oh, and for the critical minded on this board, I see that possible buy as a present to the gf providing her a place to live next to her family for the time I will be no longer around (could happen anytime between now and later) as we live together for 6 years now.

Thanks

Edited by tartempion

The village house next door my gf's parents is for sale (on the road Udon Thani to Sakhon Nakhon some 40 to 50kms from Udon), asking price 500k, 400 sqm land. It's the normal Thai house: concrete stock/kitchen area downstairs, wooden first floor with open living space and some "rooms" I know the parents place has two "rooms" and this house is bigger.

Many moons ago (at least 15 years) the parents house was built with 200k on existing 400 sqm land.

Possible negociations will start today, we might consequentely visit the place in the next days, I would like to have some input from venarable knowledgeable board members.

A man is trying to sell 200 sqm (10m x 20m) building lots at 100K: 800k a rai :D at the edge of the village, people are asking mad prices around here, I hope they are just dreaming away. Outside the village off road building lots are sold for 150k/rai and up, on paved roads 300k/rai up.

If I value the land at 100k (thus 400k/rai) I wonder 400k for a thai house, 100k too much?

Can a new Thai village house be build with a 400k budget? Or refrased : would it cost less or more than 400k to built a new house

as opposed to buying an existing older house? I am told wood is expensive nowadays.

Oh, and for the critical minded on this board, I see that possible buy as a present to the gf providing her a place to live next to her family for the time I will be no longer around (could happen anytime between now and later) as we live together for 6 years now.

Thanks

Don't know what "fair" land prices are in your area but house construction costs should be in the neighborhood of B10,000 per sm (that's for Thai style construction and finish). For farang style and finish figure around B15-20,000 per sm.

If you like the girl and in stable relationship, go ahead and buy/build...it's seems like small money to me :o

I am not sure about the area where you plan to build but that would be a bit pricey here in rural Phitsanulok.

I think that if you can get the land for 100k then you should be able to build for about 250 - 300k.

Building is a pain in the arse though and materials get more expensive each year.

I would get advice from someone who can check out the house and land for you.

It if difficult to advise as I don't know what you are buying .

BTW, it is up to you how you spend your money.

Can a house be built for 400k....sure.....a house can be built for 200k too....lots of variables not the least of which is what kind of wood was used and how sturdy is the construction....also the size of course....also is it plumbed throughout...hot water?.....electricity throughout?....what size electric service?..15amp...45amp....100amp? Does it flood in the rainy season...does it have a wall around the perimeter..a fence?..nothing...is it painted?...does it have termites?..is it next to a night club?..............lots of variables.

Chownah

In our village recently there have been several cases of wooden houses being dismantled and rebuilt on the same location.

The original wood can be re-used etc etc. So very difficult to estimate costs but for sure more expensive than concrete/bricks.

Maybe a way of bargaining would be to check the history of the house e.g. bad phi associated with death and/or suicide etc.

Can a house be built for 400k....sure.....a house can be built for 200k too....lots of variables not the least of which is what kind of wood was used and how sturdy is the construction....also the size of course....also is it plumbed throughout...hot water?.....electricity throughout?....what size electric service?..15amp...45amp....100amp? Does it flood in the rainy season...does it have a wall around the perimeter..a fence?..nothing...is it painted?...does it have termites?..is it next to a night club?..............lots of variables.

Chownah

LOL Chownah...

I don't think that your average village house that needed 200k to be built +15 years ago could possibly be build for 200k in 2550...

Not many of your questions I can answer, except no flooding, walled to keep the neighbours chickens out and no night club 30kms around (there is one in Sawan Daen Din I heard) it was painted once in light blue....plumbed, airco and hot water ? :o never seen that in a village house....

So No history available on prices for your average village house? :D

Chownah

LOL Chownah...

I don't think that your average village house that needed 200k to be built +15 years ago could possibly be build for 200k in 2550...

Not many of your questions I can answer, except no flooding, walled to keep the neighbours chickens out and no night club 30kms around (there is one in Sawan Daen Din I heard) it was painted once in light blue....plumbed, airco and hot water ? :o never seen that in a village house....

So No history available on prices for your average village house? :D

I guess I kept the point of my post well hidden....so now I will reveal all......you have not given us enough information to determine if 500k baht is a fair price for the house and land. My list of variables was just a few of the many things which effect the value. Around where I live there really is not a "typical" house in terms of value. They all have similar features but the quality of workmanship and materials is quite varied...some houses have teak floors made from 50 cm wide full one inch thick boards and are still in perfect shape.....some have 10 cm softwood boards with 1 cm gaps between....

A well constructed house made from good materials 15 years ago could be reproduced today with inferior materials and hasty workmanship for the same 200k baht I bet.

Just tooooo many variables. 400k is proably a good ball park estimate of the value of the house but don't forget that not many Thai people really WANT to live in a used house so from strictly a market standpoint it might really be worth alot less.

Chownah

Edited by chownah

500000 baht is okay to build a house but depends on which materials you are using how many bedroomd you need. My aunt build her house about 3 years ago all in concrete (no old woods in use) about 700000 baht but then she used a better quality of tiles on the roof and on the floor from Cpac (they are expensive). She have 2 bedrooms ,1 bathroom, kitchen and a living dining space. Couldnt say how big but i guess about 10x8 meter or something.

This old house you mentioned on the first floor made out of wood it could be reused again if you build a new house. If this house was made of wood alone you could sell it out for let say 10000-15000 baht or so (base on what i heard my grandmother told me about her house if she would sell the wood). And yes a wooden house is expensive then a concrete one because concrete are not reusable.

Before you build it you need to do research on it. Base on what you want to have in the house eventually you'll know how much it will cost.

Don't know what "fair" land prices are in your area but house construction costs should be in the neighborhood of B10,000 per sm (that's for Thai style construction and finish). For farang style and finish figure around B15-20,000 per sm.

I hope that quote is for Bangkok and not Isaan. I had read previously in other places 7K-8K /sqm for const with average western amenities in Isaan. Otherwise, I better start rethinking my plans/budget

I just finished a "falang" style house in Isaan -- 11 x 13 meters -- 143 sq. mt. --cost=750,000b -- 5245/sq. mt. This price included a CPAC insulated roof and covered parking area and concrete drive.

This cost did not include the 1500 sq mtrs of fill I hauled in to raise the lot where it should never flood, fencing, or any of the falang type amenities like air con, water heaters, water storage tanks and pump, 30 amp electric meter etc.. I also bought all of my own electrical stuff, breaker box, wire, grounding rods, light fixtures, etc. The builder claimed he had 25,000 in his bid for elec. mat'l and knocked that off the price and I purchased around 60,000 baht of stuff to do it right. So that would make the properly wired house 785,000 or 5490/sq mt.

That's certainly a bit more re-assuring. I will be looking for the usual western conveniences such as proper toilet, decent kitchen, etc but not expensive unnecessary luxuries. I only need to AC the master bedroom suite. hel_l, a future govt may tell me to get the hel_l out anyway so I don't want to invest any more than I am willing to burn.

Well I do feel 500k to be on the high side.

The deal is a moving target, the (Thai) owners changing the rules every day.

Their not latest idea was to move the house to their rice field and sell the 400sqm land for 250k...Yeah That :o

So I withdrew from the competion, wonder indeed if they will get a buyer in the end....

Based on your comment the best to would to buy the land for 100k and build a normal concrete 80/100 sqm house for around 200k.