Americans Call 'em Candy, Ausies Call 'em Lollies

SwaziBird

They usually come in 3 basic colours - pink, blue & white and sometimes there is a green as well.

It's a sugar coated almond.

Anyone know where can I buy a reasonably lage quantity in CM , without paying stratospheric prices ?

Thank you .

Cheers

We call them "Sookers"

Wileycoyote - in which part of te world are they called "sookers" ? Sounds like an English "sucker".

Pale blue, pastel pink and white which were classic colours of sugar coated almonds, they never had another name in England, just sugar coated almonds. My grandmother used to suck them, as well as eggs, :o and there really is no equivalent. Seen some terrible Thai copies, but nothing comes close........

Yep that will be sugar coated almonds. Those will be the colours.Where to buy? Try warawot market. .....

My gran still sucks them at Christmas, but i doubt she does any other time of the year.Arent they something you get as an unwanted gift? Isnt it just something you buy for the oldies cos you dont know what else to give them, because you got them bath salts for the last 4 years? One of those souvenirs you take back to the lady who feads the cat while you were on holiday? Bit like Kendal mint cake or Brighton rock. :o ... my gran still sucks eggs and every christmas advises me on the best way to do it.....my mother will start soon -shes getting there :D

Edited by BossHogg

They used to call them Jordan Almonds back in the USA. Haven't had one in years...... Why? Because as candies go, they ain't the best. It's old people candy. Not that I don't like old ppl candies - like butterscotch hard candies, caramel, Big Hunk - nougat w/ peanuts, and Bit O'Honey - not even sure what's in that one. Anyway, me Mum used to buy them in movie theaters and would tell me how she was nostalgic for when she would eat them in movie theaters as a kid. I dunno.... never seen them many other places. I also don't know how you ever got to calling them lollies?! To me that'd be a lollipop, a sucker. But anyway, I once started a thread on the food forum about what do you bring back in your suitcase with you when you visit home... or some such thing. Thought it would've been much more popular than it was as threads go. 'Cause we sure are all bringing interesting things back - usually foods - we know we'll miss while here, or pay thru the nose for. So advice to you: buy some in bulk next time you go home and bring 'em back over witcha. And as long as I'm tweaking the topic, what else will you bring back with you next time ?? Me ? I bring 2 Costco boxes of Famous Amos Chocolate Chip Cookies. One to hand out pack-by-pack to all the friends and neighbors as 'kong fak' and one box to hoard all to meself with a gallon of milk.

Haven't had one in years...... Why? Because as candies go, they ain't the best.

Tend to agree :o . Often stale.

HISTORY: A dragée is a form of confectionery that is decorative, symbolic and historical. Dragées currently take three forms in the confectionery world. The historic dragées, called confetti in Italian and Jordan almonds or sugared almonds in English, are whole almonds coated with a sugar shell, made in various colors. These confections have a long history, and are traditionally associated with weddings and special celebrations. Throwing or handing out dragées or confetti at such occasions (hence the name for the multi-coloured paper confetti which usually now replaces them) dates back centuries, and is meant to ensure prosperity, fertility, happiness, and good luck.

You can order all kinds of wedding goods online. The quote above is from one such site.

Haven't had one in years...... Why? Because as candies go, they ain't the best.

Tend to agree :o . Often stale.

HISTORY: A dragée is a form of confectionery that is decorative, symbolic and historical. Dragées currently take three forms in the confectionery world. The historic dragées, called confetti in Italian and Jordan almonds or sugared almonds in English, are whole almonds coated with a sugar shell, made in various colors. These confections have a long history, and are traditionally associated with weddings and special celebrations. Throwing or handing out dragées or confetti at such occasions (hence the name for the multi-coloured paper confetti which usually now replaces them) dates back centuries, and is meant to ensure prosperity, fertility, happiness, and good luck.

You can order all kinds of wedding goods online. The quote above is from one such site.

Now, that's informative and REALLY interesting. Thank you WaiWai.

I might start sucking bits of confetti out of an office paper-punch !

I'm doing great so far , thank you. Wororot Market and on-line wedding goods suppliers.

Plase keep the answers coming in. All appreciated.

Cheers