Some Pointers For Tourists

chiang mai

So many times I have suggested to my Australian friends to please ware sandals or shoes in Thailand. It shows a sign that you have poor hygiene; even the poorest Thais can ware flip-flops.

I think you forgot to suggest to the Aussies to wear shirts, though :-)

And I don't see any correlation whatsoever between wearing flip-flops and hygiene.

Are you trying to be funny and doing a bad job at it?

• Replies 104
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Do not look at all western males who are with local females and think that the girls are all bar girls and the men are all sex tourists. If you do think those things you should definitely not verbalise your thoughts as this annoys those of us who are happily married to Thai’s and may well earn you a slap.

Not always, the tourists that cause the probs. Expats are awfully annoying at times. If you see some guy with a bunch of young Thai males, don't assume the farang is swinging the other way. Tonight, the crew's coming over for dinner, there'll be maybe 6 of us guys . I know that when I go downstairs to greet them in, the old grumps in the lobby sitting around griping about their bowels are going to be watching and going OMG, he has one of those homockshuwells with him and they're coming into our white people only building, quick call security. One day some fool will make a comment that my non english speaking farang loathing, quasi big brother mongo will understand and there'll be blood and teeth splattered all over the place. Not that my ratpack is a collection of angels, but there are some things I don't want to know or need to know about them. One of the reasons I've never gotten into trouble is because the crew has been around to protect me and tell me not to drink. No doubt they think I'm crazy or can't get a date, but they babysit me pretty well. I suppose if it hadn't been for them, you'd be reading something in the paper along the lines of, frazzled expat woman beheads annoying companion who snored too loudly.

BTW, best tip for feeding 5 hungry thais- visit carrefour and get all the pre cooked meals you need, especially the smelly thai stuff that you don't want to be cooking yourself. Carrefour has been my lifesaver since it opened.

you could also add that people should cover their chests, knees and stomachs when in a temple. i went to the tiger temple in kanchanaburi a few times, and on one occasion there were two young tourists wearing skimpy shorts and bikini tops 'because they were hot'. i told them that they may want to consider putting their shirts on as they were actually in a temple, but they basically told me to f*&^ off.

Good point. I went to Wat Doi Suthep in Chiang Mai and they had sarongs, long trousers and tops for tourists to put on if they were not dressed appropriately. They weren't shy in letting people know either. Good on them.

Let me get this right - this is a thread "moaning" about people who "moan"?

No, you'll have to try again!

Actually I think it's a thread that shows the way in which ex pats transition from being tourists to becoming more understanding of local culture and shows the eventual gap between the tourist and the ex pat view of Thailand.

Regarding Donna's post, it happened the same to me outside Wat Phra Tong.

Two yong girls on their 20's were almost naked.I was inside praying together with other Thais and I cannot forget their faces when they saw them..... :D:D

Imagine, seeing two women as nature made them!! :o

Actually I think it's a thread that shows the way in which ex pats transition from being tourists to becoming more understanding of local culture and shows the eventual gap between the tourist and the ex pat view of Thailand.

Don't get me wrong - I find little in your list to disagree with. I was merely pointing out the irony of it. In the same way that you could ask tourists why they bothered to come to Thailand if they only wish to complain about it, one could ask - why choose to live in a tourist hotspot if you don't like what they do?

Don't get me wrong - I find little in your list to disagree with. I was merely pointing out the irony of it. In the same way that you could ask tourists why they bothered to come to Thailand if they only wish to complain about it, one could ask - why choose to live in a tourist hotspot if you don't like what they do?

That's an excellent point and one I'm only now just beginning to come to terms with. Four years in Chiang Mai and I was never really bothered by tourists, now only six months in Patong Beach and the first month of high season has been interesting but somewhat nightmarish. But that's ok because the master plan is to find land here and build and you can rest assured it will not be in the middle of the tourist zone.

Two yong girls on their 20's were almost naked.I was inside praying together with other Thais and I cannot forget their faces when they saw them..... :D:D

Imagine, seeing two women as nature made them!! :D

Yea, so how come this never happens near me? My friends who can't speak a word of english between them seem to be able to attract some of the prettiest farang ladies I have ever seen. It's like, I hit the beach and the girls run screaming from me. The best I could get today was a wave and a hey hansum man from the transformer person on my soi that does manicures

followed by laughter. I don't know if she was laughing at my shorts or because I am really not a hansum man :o

Imagine, seeing two women as nature made them!! :o

They should try that at a local mosque.

• 3 weeks later...

*taking notes*

:o I think people who go to a new country and don't try and understand or at least respect the culture are just plain ignorant. And why would you go somewhere like Thailand if you can't stand warm weather? Whenever people complain over here, I always tell them they can either accept it or go home- it's not like anyone has them tied to a chair. Mind you, it's always the expats - not the tourists. Expats tend to bitch and moan and the tourists just walk around with a dorky, happy look of awe on their faces :D

I know how ya thinking, matey.

I know people who all excited... "Were going...sumplace"

When they get there all thery do is pick holes.........FFSI honestly do not know why some people bother getting up in the morning.

I meet a lot of expats during my regular stays in Thailand, most are quite happy with life, actually, neva hear any real sour grapes.

The beauty of travel is the unexpected, good or bad, just enjoy life as ya find it.

Whingers go home, better, dun travel.

Good opening post...

Not many things really annoy me in Thailand but when I walk into my local restaurant with my long term girlfriend to be greeted by some (usually middle aged and slightly sunburnt female) tourist giving me the "I know what you're up to and I think it's disgusting" look, my blood starts to boil. I'm waiting for my first derogatory comment, if only witness my girlfriends retort which I have no doubt would be priceless :o

You made some very good points.

I used to thin like that the first year I got here. Now it's becoming harder and harder to "adapt" to the Thai culture, because I understand their culture a little bit more and actually dislike it (note for the flamers: dislike not despise and I didn't say I didn't respect it).

You might ask why I live in Thailand, well, I like Thailand because of it low taxes on foreign earned income and because of its cheap cost of living. I'm really struggling with their culture... There, I said it.

Can I just add:

Unless you're on the beach or in your house please wear a t-shirt of some kind. I don't need to be seeing half undressed dudes everywhere I go, it's not pleasant and you wouldn't do it at home.

Actually I would do it at home, but not here. My beutiful beer sculpted body now bellongs entirely to my wife :o

You made some very good points.

I used to thin like that the first year I got here. Now it's becoming harder and harder to "adapt" to the Thai culture, because I understand their culture a little bit more and actually dislike it (note for the flamers: dislike not despise and I didn't say I didn't respect it).

You might ask why I live in Thailand, well, I like Thailand because of it low taxes on foreign earned income and because of its cheap cost of living. I'm really struggling with their culture... There, I said it.

I have to agree really, I struggle with it enormously also. I live here for pretty much the same reasons you do although I do have other reasons. In five years I've never found the Thai culture any easier to understand or come to terms with, if anything it becomes more frustrating. But the OP was aimed at some of the basics which granted, often take a long time to learn.

Another word of advice for tourists: If you decide to become an expat please refrain from unsolicited pontificating your "astonishing" knowledge of Thailand on public internet forums Because even after being here 20+ years you won't have a clue.:o

Goodness, I really should add that one also, but if I did don't you think I run the risk of appearing like a pontificating ex pat who has astonishing knowledge of Thailand! Maybe, maybe not, some people just have no sense of humor, fun or relevance.

^I'm so sorry I didn't realize you were making a joke. How silly of me and I thought you were offering serious advice....my bad, :o

Maybe this forum needs a joke and humor section. :D

Hey, heapsa laffs in here.

Most do not realise it.........LOL

When your taxi driver overcharges you by 100 baht on your 250 baht journey, don't be surprised – most people in Thailand are very poor. Remember that even including the additional 100 baht, you just travelled 20 kms for a price equal to that of opening the passenger door of a black cab in London.

Being ripped off is being ripped off, in any country.

I'm all in favour of the two tier pricing structure. Actually, I'd extend it to 3 - dirt cheap for Thais, dead expensive for tourists and plain old market rate/value for money for ex-pats.

I like that idea.

It's obviously unworkable, but does anyone think there's mileage in producing and selling an expat badge or wristband etc? It could be sold only to those that can produce local ID and be a sign for the pesterers to stop treating us like tourists and annoying the hel_l out of us.

No need for a resident badge for me. I’ve got this one covered. I always wear a smart shirt with a collar, one that has actually been ironed. No whacky shorts. I know enough Thai to go shopping at the local markets and when I come to a halt on my scooter I only have to put one foot down.

So as far as I am concerned I am atotally different race to the tourists. And my Thai girlfriend agrees with me (its just possible she’s trying to humour me…no, no I’m sure that’s not the case)

A few other things I try to avoid are:

1 Walking round the shops with a flabby, pink girlfriends in a bikini smoking a cigarette.

2 Sporting a facial expression that says “I am having the time of my life in a far-flung and exotic land”

3 Attempting to buy alcohol from shops before 5pm

Voila. Who needs a badge?

If those are the only 2 reasons, I would suggest you move somewhere else.

When your taxi driver overcharges you by 100 baht on your 250 baht journey, don't be surprised – most people in Thailand are very poor. Remember that even including the additional 100 baht, you just travelled 20 kms for a price equal to that of opening the passenger door of a black cab in London.

I'm all in favour of the two tier pricing structure. Actually, I'd extend it to 3 - dirt cheap for Thais, dead expensive for tourists and plain old market rate/value for money for ex-pats.

I like that idea.

It's obviously unworkable, but does anyone think there's mileage in producing and selling an expat badge or wristband etc? It could be sold only to those that can produce local ID and be a sign for the pesterers to stop treating us like tourists and annoying the hel_l out of us.

No need for a resident badge for me. I’ve got this one covered. I always wear a smart shirt with a collar, one that has actually been ironed. No whacky shorts. I know enough Thai to go shopping at the local markets and when I come to a halt on my scooter I only have to put one foot down.

So as far as I am concerned I am atotally different race to the tourists. And my Thai girlfriend agrees with me (its just possible she’s trying to humour me…no, no I’m sure that’s not the case)

1 Walking round the shops with a flabby, pink girlfriends in a bikini smoking a cigarette.

2 Sporting a facial expression that says “I am having the time of my life in a far-flung and exotic land”

Me. I do all those 3 things, though it is true I wouldn't be seen dead in an ironed shirt. I also expressly avert my attention from any hawker or pesterer. I sarcastically say "is it? that's nice dear" when they point out the long line of red van things are in fact tuk tuk tuk tuks.

I like that idea.

Me. I do all those 3 things, though it is true I wouldn't be seen dead in an ironed shirt. I also expressly avert my attention from any hawker or pesterer. I sarcastically say "is it? that's nice dear" when they point out the long line of red van things are in fact tuk tuk tuk tuks.

...or as I sometimes reply when they say, 'Tuk Tuk?'; 'Yes, it's a Tuk Tuk'. (That's when I can be bothered. Gawd I despise them!)

Great post. Not many I enjoy reading all the way through. I agree 100% with everything Chiang Mai & others have said, but I do think people are making it a bit too cut & dry:- If you're a tourist your scum & if you're an ex-pat your wonderful sought of attitude. There are just as many obnoxious, disrespectful ex-pats as there are tourists, they just do it in a different way. I find an ex-pat who has been here 10/20 years and hasn't taken the time to learn to speak any Thai, just as disrespectful as the half naked tourist walking around the shopping center. If anything, I've learned to forgive the tourist more than the ex-pat, at least they can plead ignorance. What it comes down to is, morons are morons, regardless of how long they happen to have been here.

I like that idea.

...or as I sometimes reply when they say, 'Tuk Tuk?'; 'Yes, it's a Tuk Tuk'. (That's when I can be bothered. Gawd I despise them!)

I usually dangle my car keys and say "CRV, CRV".

Great post. Not many I enjoy reading all the way through. I agree 100% with everything Chiang Mai & others have said, but I do think people are making it a bit too cut & dry:- If you're a tourist your scum & if you're an ex-pat your wonderful sought of attitude. There are just as many obnoxious, disrespectful ex-pats as there are tourists, they just do it in a different way. I find an ex-pat who has been here 10/20 years and hasn't taken the time to learn to speak any Thai, just as disrespectful as the half naked tourist walking around the shopping center. If anything, I've learned to forgive the tourist more than the ex-pat, at least they can plead ignorance. What it comes down to is, morons are morons, regardless of how long they happen to have been here.

I totally agree.