Muay Thai And Bjj In Chiang Mai

i'm just wondering if anybody knows any good places to train for muay thai or brazilian ju jitsu in chiang mai. please don't suggest lanna muay thai,i wouldn't recommend anyone to go there,i was there for 2 months and they just told me to punch a bag,when i asked for more tuition they couldn't give it to me because they were too busy training some girls,the gloves and equipment were falling apart, absolutely disgraceful in my opinion,better to just give your money to the needy and go for a run. chai yai is almost passable but just as touristy and commercial as lanna but at least they showed me how to punch a bag. thaimuaythai resembles a rubbish dump didn't even dare train there for fear of the rats and mosquitos. trained at pedros sangkla muay thai,first class tuition,absolutely outstanding but at 6 hours a day of training i definately lost my zest for life and at 8000 baht a month is 3 times the price of most western countries.

i know there are a couple of other schools around but the prices seem to be the same

is anybody aware of anybody that offers private tuition either in muay thai or bjj,i would love to study both or even just some people to practice with.

i've lived in chiang mai for 3 years and still can't find a good school or tuition at a reasonable price.is there any thai only schools,maybe they will have real world prices.

8000 baht a month is 3 times more than the west for 6 hours a day training? I would really love to know where you are basing those prices on?

You get what you pay for at the end of the day and if you don't want to put your hand in your pocket then don't expect top class training. Saying that Chiang Mai is not really reknowned as a hot bed of Muaythai in the first place.

Yes I agree with Tingnongnoi, building new Muay Thai training facilities costs money and replacing worn out equipment frequently costs money, too as well as hiring cleaning staff and enough trainers.

So a good gym that is new, clean, had got new equipment and enough trainers to give you personal attention will have to charge something for it.

8000 baht a month is 3 times more than the west for 6 hours a day training? I would really love to know where you are basing those prices on?

You get what you pay for at the end of the day and if you don't want to put your hand in your pocket then don't expect top class training. Saying that Chiang Mai is not really reknowned as a hot bed of Muaythai in the first place.

Many of the top training facilities in America offer unlimited classes for one hundred dollars per month or around that figure. It is not one on one coaching or even having a trained bag/pad man to hold bags/pads. With MT you switch on and off training and pad holding, most bag work would be done without a holder in this circumstance but plenty of good clean gear at a good clean facility would be available for training.

Many Thai gyms are just horribly unsanitary, its just a fact. Just go down to Lumpini Stadium any morning of the week and have a walk around, its a cesspool down there.

To the OP, I don't think you will find any BJJ in Chiang Mai unless you import it yourself. What you may find is Judo at one of the Universities but don't expect anyone to wash their gi, they like to hang them up wherever they train and dry them dirty. How would I know that? Don't ask. You can also look for some western boxing around the Universities, outside of that you may consider moving to Bangkok or Pattaya. Another option is to just start your own training group with your own gear, good luck anyway it goes.

• 1 year later...

I know it's a bit late but JG's Gym in Cincinnati, Ohio (Home to Rich Franklin, Jorge Gurgel, Dustin Hazelett, Marcus Davis - split time - and a few others) charges 90 bucks a month for unlimited training at their state of the art facilities and Jorge is freak'n awesome...lol.

Anyway - I'm still looking for a place in Chaing Mai as well...and I'm going home in a month - but my bro needs someone to train with as well in either here or bkk....(he's got plenty of MMA experience as well)

• 1 year later...

I know it's a bit late but JG's Gym in Cincinnati, Ohio (Home to Rich Franklin, Jorge Gurgel, Dustin Hazelett, Marcus Davis - split time - and a few others) charges 90 bucks a month for unlimited training at their state of the art facilities and Jorge is freak'n awesome...lol.

Anyway - I'm still looking for a place in Chaing Mai as well...and I'm going home in a month - but my bro needs someone to train with as well in either here or bkk....(he's got plenty of MMA experience as well)

Heya pedro schmall is the guy in cm.

I only have his email

[email protected]

Also on face book,

• 4 weeks later...

ummm 8000 baht is pretty standard across thailand....how do you live here for 3 years and not know that?

anyway...anyone know of gyms around chiang mai other than lanna and chai yai? I know there's other gyms around, but since they don't have websites apparently i don't really have a way of finding them.

Chiang Mai BJJCategory:Sports & Recreation - Martial ArtsDescription:MMA Chiang Mai Schedule:

M,W,F

10:00am-12:00pm (no-gi, Pedro)

6:00-8:00 pm (gi, Pedro)

8:00-9:00 pm (open mat)

T,Th

6:00-8:00 pm (no-gi, Pedro)

Saturday

6:00-8:00 pm (no-gi, Pedro)

Sunday

6:00-8:00 pm (open mat)

10/4 Railway Road, Chiang MaiPrivacy Type:Open: All content is public..Contact Info

.Email:[email protected]:Chiang Mai, Thailand

My recommendation for Muay Thai would be

www.ancientmuaythai.com

I agree with the initial poster- Mai Thai instruction is very over priced in Chiangmai.

Go venture out to Lumphun and countryside for some real training at very little cost. Give a donation basically, whatever you feel they are worth...

In Aussie we can train continuously at a Mai Thai centre for $250 per term... that's 7500bt for 3 continuous months training. In CMai I cannot get anything less than 8000-9000bt pm.

Rent is 10 times cheaper here---- Instructors should be cheaper---- Equipment cheaper and poorer quality and the list goes on... The owners must be making some very good money from making the centres very commercialized in CMai. More money in a day than the countryside centres would see in a month...

I note that some of the centres you mentioned do have Farang Instructor, probably owners whom turned it very commercial.

CMai is all commercial centres now, drift out of town to train with the local country guys\girls. Preferrably know how to speak pretty good thai. Lamphun park has a training centre- 25 km from CMai. Give Instructor 50bt every 2nd day- very happy as they think they will get nothing.

I agree with the initial poster- Mai Thai instruction is very over priced in Chiangmai.

Go venture out to Lumphun and countryside for some real training at very little cost. Give a donation basically, whatever you feel they are worth...

In Aussie we can train continuously at a Mai Thai centre for $250 per term... that's 7500bt for 3 continuous months training. In CMai I cannot get anything less than 8000-9000bt pm.

Rent is 10 times cheaper here---- Instructors should be cheaper---- Equipment cheaper and poorer quality and the list goes on... The owners must be making some very good money from making the centres very commercialized in CMai. More money in a day than the countryside centres would see in a month...

I note that some of the centres you mentioned do have Farang Instructor, probably owners whom turned it very commercial.

CMai is all commercial centres now, drift out of town to train with the local country guys\girls. Preferrably know how to speak pretty good thai. Lamphun park has a training centre- 25 km from CMai. Give Instructor 50bt every 2nd day- very happy as they think they will get nothing.

"trained at pedros sangkla muay thai,first class tuition,absolutely outstanding but at 6 hours a day of training i definately lost my zest for life and at 8000 baht a month is 3 times the price of most western countries."

To me this sounds pretty good value in London your talking at around 500 baht for a one to two hour lesson.

You get what you pay for :)

• 5 months later...

my 2 baht is that the OP is correct. You can get very good training at home for 1/3 the price. I am talking about Judo. Not much experience with Muay Thai. The Judo club I trained at in Vancouver is one of two highly recommended by most with excellent history, high level dan instruction with a good ratio of 1st dan/kyu grade. Less than 100 dollars per month.

BTW..... Pedro Schmall is gone. The club is still here, but he is gone.

I think that to back up the validity of the OP's comment on the price of training here....you just have to look at the price structure of most things here for foreigners vs. Thais. There is a clear 2 tier price system in place; unless you can speak Thai, know the value of what you are buying (in Thailand), or just happen to be dealing with a Thai with scruples (whatever those are).

• 11 months later...

There is a Team Quest training facility that's opening up near the Central Airport Plaza.

From my understanding, they will have a traditional Muay Thai program as well as a grappling/MMA program (ran separately).

If you're unfamiliar with "Team Quest", check here for the history of the gym..

http://en.wikipedia....wiki/Team_Quest

Here is the official website (not compete yet). The gym is opening up on Nov. 15th..

Team Quest Thailand

I'll be training there so just hit me up if you have any questions.

• 9 months later...

There is a Team Quest training facility that's opening up near the Central Airport Plaza.

From my understanding, they will have a traditional Muay Thai program as well as a grappling/MMA program (ran separately).

If you're unfamiliar with "Team Quest", check here for the history of the gym..

http://en.wikipedia....wiki/Team_Quest

Here is the official website (not compete yet). The gym is opening up on Nov. 15th..

Team Quest Thailand

I'll be training there so just hit me up if you have any questions.

At only 300 baht per hour, it seems like a real bargain.

• 4 weeks later...