Marriage Visa

jackyseymour

I've posted this in the visa section before, but everyone assumes I'm a man and the application, as I understand it, is different for a farang woman.

Could anyone here on the Ladies Forum please tell me how long they were married before applying for the visa based upon marriage. Or, to be more precise, their Thai husband had to apply for the visa for them.

The reason I ask is that I would need to go to Bangkok to get the Affirmation to Marry anyway, and so thought it might be more convenient if everything, the marriage and the application for the visa could be done at once. Save a lot of to-ing and fro-ing. Thanks.

Don't think there is any time requirement for the marriage but you realize there is a difference between the extension and visa?

The visa must be gotten outside of the country and must be a non-imm O. You show a copy of your marriage certificate to get this.

Then, when the visa is nearly expired (3 months) you go to Immigration for the one year extension on your visa. Your husband must accompany you for the extension application. You must have photocopies of all Thai stamps in your passport as well as ID page, two current photos, copies of his ID card and house registration (tabien ban) -- some photos of your wedding and you together wouldn't hurt. Don't know if they are required for newly-married women but as they are for men I am guessing yes. You do not need to provide any financial details. A letter from the puyaiban (village headman) where you live stating that you are married and living together and at what address is required as well.

I am up for my extension yet again this week, so if there are any changes I will post more here.

yep, get the affirmation of freedom to marry & get it stamped at the mfa & then you can get married, once you are married & have your wedding certificate you need to exit the country & go the thai embassy of that country & apply for a non O visa & then as sbk said, one 3 months is up, you & hubby go to the immigration for the extension.

For mine we got legally married in the village and then later I went to Penang and it was all very easy to get the non imm O visa. Then back and off to immigration for the extension. SBK and BOO have already listed all the stuff you need. We also had to take the Poo Yai Ban with us to confirm we'd been together x amount of time. We were both questioned seperately on where/how we met, our jobs etc - to see that our stories matched up - and we were asked about my husband income as he officially supports me financially

Visa extension update:

Please remember that I have been doing visa extensions for years and have been married for years but this year (again) we did not show income at all. He did not want to see our bank books or my husband's personal income tax receipt

He wanted two copies of

Tabien ban, Husband's ID card, Marriage certificate and all Thai related stamps as well as ID page of my passport.

No photos of us together or anything. But, for a new marriage, I imagine its different. Best to go to your local Immigration office and find out exactly what they need.

For last several years there has not been a requirement to obtain the non immigrant visa outside Thailand (although you can still do that). This can be done at Immigration office at a fee of 2,000 baht using TM.86 for tourist visa change or TM.87 for visa issue from 30 day entry and with below documents (there has not been any recent update on web site so best to contact Immigration to be sure).

DOCUMENTS TO BE SUBMITTED IN SUPPORT OF THE APPLICATION FOR VISA OR VISA STATUS ALTERATION (NON-O): FOR A FAMILY MEMBER OF A THAI (APPLICABLE ONLY PARENTS, SPOUSE OR CHILD.

In case of no children, the application must be submitted 21 days before visa expiration and Overstaying in Thailand, application could not be submitted

Application for Visa Status Alteration. (TM.86)

Application for visa. (TM.87)

Copy of passport entries.

4 X 6 cm. Photograph.

Application fee of 2,000 baht.

In case of, marriage registered in Thailand

• Copy of marriage Certificate(Kor Ror.2)

• Copy of marriage Registeration Papers (Kor Ror.3)

In case of, marriage registered in Thailand

• Copy of marriage certificate

• Copy of the family status registration. (Kor Ror.22) (Issued by the district office in Thailand)

A copy of the letter form The Embassy or Consulate certify in that the applicant is single.

Copy of I.D. card and house registration papers of the Thai national.

Birth Certificate or medical letter certifying pregnancy, or pregnancy report booklet.(Showing parents’ name)

Wedding ceremony picture.(if any)

Remarks

The applicant must sign to certify every page of application.

The visa Applicant must arrange the documents in proper order and must prepare the originals as proof.

In case of, the applicant and Thai national already have had children. The name of parents shown in birth certificate must be correctly spelling and match with passport and ID card.

Call 02-2873101-10 ext.2237, 02-287-4948 for details.

Good to know lop, but a friend of mine out in the provinces tried this and failed. So, either you have to do it in Bangkok or make sure your Immigration office knows about this.

** However, upon re-reading the terms, perhaps the person who failed to get their visa change did not apply for the change with enough time left:

In case of no children, the application must be submitted 21 days before visa expiration and Overstaying in Thailand, application could not be submitted

Has anyone recently applied for and successfully obtained an extension to stay based upon marriage to a Thai man without said Thai man having to show an income of 40K per month? Would be only relatively wealthy Thai men being able to marry a farang woman if this was the case. Or is the Thai government attempting to introduce parity with farang men now via this route?

I was told yesterday by a visa operator here that the Thai man would have to show this amount. However, I wouldn't have thought he has many farang women customers seeking advice on this issue.

As to making enquiries at the local immigration office, I'm pretty sure you can go and ask about the requirements one day, and they will be changed when you show up to apply for the visa, the next. First hand experiences therefore preferable, as always.

Edited by jackyseymour